Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Lure Coursing - possible downsides related to OB/prey drive?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Herb2relax 
#1 ·
Lucy's prey drive is pretty much over the top and I know she would absolutely love lure coursing. There is an agility fun match on Sunday that is also offering lure coursing. I was planning to take Lucy and let her have a go at it.

However, I've had challenges in the past with her prey drive and training in OB around prey related distractions. It's something we work really, really hard at, given we train in a lot of outdoor areas where there are squirrels, birds, etc. and a lot of the shows are also outside. If I could channel that prey drive more effectively and she was a bit more biddable, it would be great! But unfortunately, that is not always the case.

My agility trainer cautioned me this week about taking Lucy lure coursing, when I mentioned it to her. Given the challenges I already have, she thought maybe I shouldn't be bringing out her prey drive even more.

I'm going to ask my OB instructor today what she thinks. We are starting to make some really good progress with her training and I just don't want to do the lure coursing and have it intensify Lucy's response/distraction with prey when we are training and competing. That is my main concern. On the other hand, doing this once and letting her have such fun for the day, would be really nice. Maybe I am over-thinking this. I tend to do that alot. :)

Just curious if any DT'ers have any thoughts or suggestions.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
No lure coursing for Lucy... at least not for now...

Thanks everybody for the inputs. I really appreciate it!

We just got home from our private OB lesson. When I asked my instructor "so what do you think if I take Lucy lure coursing", she said "absolutely not!". "At least not if you don't want to set your training back 6 months...". I kinda had a hunch she would say that.

As much as I know Lucy would love it, we have made such good progress with her OB and are really gearing up to compete more and I would seriously hate to undo any of our hard work and progress.

So, I guess for now, we'll be skipping the lure coursing! Sorry Lucy... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.