Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucy's prey drive is pretty much over the top and I know she would absolutely love lure coursing. There is an agility fun match on Sunday that is also offering lure coursing. I was planning to take Lucy and let her have a go at it.

However, I've had challenges in the past with her prey drive and training in OB around prey related distractions. It's something we work really, really hard at, given we train in a lot of outdoor areas where there are squirrels, birds, etc. and a lot of the shows are also outside. If I could channel that prey drive more effectively and she was a bit more biddable, it would be great! But unfortunately, that is not always the case.

My agility trainer cautioned me this week about taking Lucy lure coursing, when I mentioned it to her. Given the challenges I already have, she thought maybe I shouldn't be bringing out her prey drive even more.

I'm going to ask my OB instructor today what she thinks. We are starting to make some really good progress with her training and I just don't want to do the lure coursing and have it intensify Lucy's response/distraction with prey when we are training and competing. That is my main concern. On the other hand, doing this once and letting her have such fun for the day, would be really nice. Maybe I am over-thinking this. I tend to do that alot. :)

Just curious if any DT'ers have any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I have no experience with lure coursing (although we should try it) - but I'm pretty sure you can isolate and train when to use drives.
With Juno I rarely use food for reward. I use her drives with a rag. When we train OB or like we started working with agility tunnels I used her drive to run where I wanted before she got the bite. I also train in high distraction areas (with goats cats and junk)

Dunno how helpful that is but have fun! :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I'm a complete newb when it comes to training dogs, so please feel free to disregard everything I'm about to say. :D

I would imagine your dog could distinguish between a lure course and the bunny running across the yard and therefore would be able to distinguish when reacting is acceptable behavior and when it's not. Just like a properly trained K9 knows when it's acceptable to bite and when it's not (We hope! LOL). Or the fact my Cocker Spaniel knew it was unacceptable to harrass my cats but thought strays where fair game. I'd have preferred it was never acceptable, but am just illustrating he could distinguish between different groups of cats, let a lone an animal and a lure course.

Perhaps giving your dog an outlet for her prey drive would actually make her easier to work with.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Having owned a sighthound, I just wanted to say this.

When I watched the lure coursing video on here, I just thought to myself if I had done that, my Stormy girl could have been killed.

She slipped out of the van the other day, and a bunny sprung up out of the bush beside us. She gave a short chase but then stopped, thank God as it is a busy enough area for traffic.

When we adopted the greyhound, we were told to NEVER EVER have him off leash in an open area, as they don't know if it's a bag or a bunny, but it moves.

I don't know if it works that way with other breeds, but I know if you play with a laser, they chase anything that reflects.

JMHO as I have never lure coursed.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
I have done this with both of my Dobers. The week after we coursed, Guilty showed in the breed ring and performed better than she ever has before. I dont know if the coursing had anything to do with it or if she is just growing up.

Both of my dogs have high prey drives, but I did not feel like the coursing made them any worse. As soon as the "bunny" was out of sight, the dogs calmed down.

The location that we were coursing in was fully fenced and in a secluded part of a small town. In addition to that, they had snow fencing up around the road that the participants drove in on.

On another note, if you try it once and find that it does damage your training, you know never to do it again :/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great idea to ask your OB teacher. If you are asking for experiences though I can share that I've paid heavily a few times for "going on" before something is really set in OB. In other words, if I were your OB teacher I would tell you to have your OB firmly set before moving on to something like lure coursing.
Good luck and keep training :)
Sarah

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No lure coursing for Lucy... at least not for now...

Thanks everybody for the inputs. I really appreciate it!

We just got home from our private OB lesson. When I asked my instructor "so what do you think if I take Lucy lure coursing", she said "absolutely not!". "At least not if you don't want to set your training back 6 months...". I kinda had a hunch she would say that.

As much as I know Lucy would love it, we have made such good progress with her OB and are really gearing up to compete more and I would seriously hate to undo any of our hard work and progress.

So, I guess for now, we'll be skipping the lure coursing! Sorry Lucy... :(

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Whew, I was going to say don't do it. I think I've posted my shrieking idiots when it comes to squirrels. They are that way with rabbits. Havoc took of almost a full mile after a bunny the other weekend. I did not see him take off so couldn't even attempt to call him back. He always comes back. However, they can all except Gabby work around critters at agility. Unfortunately/fortunately my agility instructor lives a few miles from me. That means she has critters in her yard. Sometimes I lose Gabby and I just try again later. havoc sometimes runs sniffing the ground BUT STILL running (not stress sniffing).

I would not hesitate to lure course Flirt or havoc. They are way more biddable than Gabby. I did run her ages ago in a lurecoursing fun run before we lived with the squirrels and it was a blast and a non-issue back then.

Reactions: HarvestMoon

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I do not know your dog and you know her best. So do whats best and yes, going backwards from the training you've already put in is not the way to go. The same squirrels that are in my backyard are some of the same ones that run across the street in front of us when walking. In the backyard they are fair game...chase away. But when we are walking. My dogs do not try to chase them. They may prick their ears up but definately dont lunge towards them. Some of them have come within 5' of us.

But I did own Lexi (rip) and she didnt understand the difference. I could barely walk her without having to stop every 20' and try to calm her from those tree rats!

Totally bummed. :( No new videos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts