Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About four hours ago I foud a huge hard mass between my dobermans shoulder blades right in the middle. As it is 10pm I have to wait until tomorrow to go the vet but wondered if anyone has had any experience with this. Yesterday I took him to the vet for acne underneath his chin and also because he was shaking his head as if his ears were bothering him. He got his ears flushed due to wax buildup and was put on Simplicef for the infection on his chin. He also had blood drawn to check on something. There was no visible lump at that point. This evening I felt the lump and saw it - it is the size of a golf ball and extremely visible. It moves, but is a hard mass. It almost feels like a fatty deposit, but he is only 10 months old - and it came suddenly and quickly. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or can anyone ease my mind before the morning? He is not in any pain nor does he seem to have any discomfort when I touch the area or put pressure on it.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
If he has had a shot in that area sometimes they can have a reaction to it, giving that sort of symptom but i would still get him to a vet a.s.a.p.
Edited to add, Tia had something similar when she was a puppy,it turned out to be a reaction to her vaccination shot.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yes that is exactly what duchess got after her rabies shot....in between the shoulder blades...we called the vet and asked where they gave the shot and they also said in between the shoulder blades...and she must have had a reaction to it...

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I don't know about the location......but Rommel had one that I was really concerned about. It turned out to be a bug bite. Went away after a few days. (Thank gosh!)

Do you use frontline or any other topical flea or tick stuff? Because that is usually the spot where you put it. Could be an allergy?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't put any flea prevention on since September. The lump is the size of a golf ball at this point. I am waiting for his vet to call me back. I am wondering if when they drew blood they could have injured him and caused this (?) but they said that they drew blood in the neck and this is in between his shoulder blades. I stopped his antibiotics (for his acne) until I hear from the vet and am taking him in after work. I am hoping that this is an allergic reaction to something and is not some kind of tumor. Do tumors grow so quickly?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Everytime they have drawn blood from the neck on my dogs, they have drawn it from the side, towards the front. Not between the shoulder blades. There are no major veins or arteries there to get blood from. I would have them take a look at it and see what they think of it. They can always take a biopsy of it just to be safe. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is how I feel too..... better safe than sorry. I just lost my cat to cancer last December so I am a little nervous (not trying to overreact, but I am concerned). I am sure they will biopsy it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I agree on getting that checked. Our last dobie was allergic to one antibotic and our dobie that we have not is allergic to benadryl. I try to take them to the vet in the am that way if something comes up back we go that same day. Hope everything turns out well.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An allergic reaction has been ruled out by the vet. Everyone please put good thoughts out there - he is having a biopsy this afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
DreamDoby said:
Everytime they have drawn blood from the neck on my dogs, they have drawn it from the side, towards the front. Not between the shoulder blades. There are no major veins or arteries there to get blood from. I would have them take a look at it and see what they think of it. They can always take a biopsy of it just to be safe. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.
yes we hold off for blood on the front leg on the inside of the elbow, few exceptions.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My boy is ok. It was something called a seroma, filled with a bloody fluid. Apparently it is something like a bruise - probably caused by my two dogs rough housing together. He is being treated with the antibiotics that he was already taking for his acne so in a week or so he should be back to normal. Thanks for everyone's support.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That is great news.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
thats good to here! I met a dobe puppy at a park one time...he had these huge swollen nobs on his sit bones...he was a skinny puppy...but these I guess were from him always bumping the area i guess. again glad he is okay :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
So glad all is okay! This is great news!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts