Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night we noticed a lump under Mocha's chin, on the right side, about halfway back on her jawline. The lump is about 1/2", underneath the skin and it moves about freely when touched, and doesn't seem to bother Mocha at all when I touch or press it. The lump came up fast, because I know for a fact it wasn't there a few days ago, almost an overnight thing. So this morning I took Mocha to the vet for a walk-in appointment. It was frustrating having to wait outside while they took Mocha in, but I do understand. The vet said in her opinion, the mass was too firm to be a fatty tumor but she couldn't say for certain, and they did a fine needle aspiration and we should get the results back in about 7 days.

She told me that in some cases, the results come back as unknown or inconclusive, and in that case it will be up to us what we want to do but her suggestion was to remove it and send it to the lab for more tests, and while Mocha is under, they can clean her teeth and also remove the sebaceous cyst Mocha has in the middle of her head.

Yeah I'm a bit worried and won't sleep well until we get the results back :frown3:

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meant to post a pic before...

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you took her to the Vet , And I know she has a interest in Bubble bees ??? Any chance its a sting ?
Not a chance. I never let her outside unsupervised, and I watch her every second we're out there, especially when she's near those plants - the closest she's ever gotten to a bee was the day I took those pics...otherwise she gets a resounding "leave it". The main reason we watch her so much is because she has a bad habit of eating grass and shrubbery, and we try to keep that to an absolute minimum. One of her favorite things to do is when we're playing fetch, she'll go to where the ball or kong wubba is, and then start tearing chunks of grass out of the ground beside her toy. And I know she does this because she knows I don't want her to LOL

And this is definitely some kind of growth/tumor...you can feel the mass under the skin. Not rock hard, I'd say semi-hard, and it moves around almost like it's not attached to anything.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
please keep us posted wishing only the best for Mocha Dax has one measures 1cm on her chest which moves another on her ear measures .5cm vet is keeping tabs as I am weekly measuring them. My vet does not seem concerned at this time If they grow she goes under and has both of the removed.

·
ZuriBug
185 Posts
From the beginning I've never understood why the veterinarians do the wait outside and then we will come out and take your pet while you wait in the car thing. If both parties have masks on, it seems logical that you would be able to go in with your pet. We do it in other places in public. I work in the hospital and a family member can come in with the patient as long as they have no temperature. Really, it's like a pediatricians office..... I would be hard pressed to let them take my child in without me.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,103 Posts
I'm sorry—waiting for answers is tough.

Me personally? if you don't get a definitive answer, I'd have it removed. There's lots of loose flesh there, and the lump is freely moving, so it should be relatively easy for the vet to get the whole thing out. Lumps which come up fast (once you've eliminated the bee sting/infection kind of thing) I think are often mast cell tumors, which a lot of the time don't spread, but I'm one of those who would rather have a lump taken out, if it is easy to get to and especially if the dog needs something else done like a tooth cleaning, than worry about it and be checking on the thing 15 times a day.

·
Premium Member
7,070 Posts
Last night we noticed a lump under Mocha's chin, on the right side, about halfway back on her jawline. The lump is about 1/2", underneath the skin and it moves about freely when touched, and doesn't seem to bother Mocha at all when I touch or press it. The lump came up fast, because I know for a fact it wasn't there a few days ago, almost an overnight thing. So this morning I took Mocha to the vet for a walk-in appointment. It was frustrating having to wait outside while they took Mocha in, but I do understand. The vet said in her opinion, the mass was too firm to be a fatty tumor but she couldn't say for certain, and they did a fine needle aspiration and we should get the results back in about 7 days.

She told me that in some cases, the results come back as unknown or inconclusive, and in that case it will be up to us what we want to do but her suggestion was to remove it and send it to the lab for more tests, and while Mocha is under, they can clean her teeth and also remove the sebaceous cyst Mocha has in the middle of her head.

Yeah I'm a bit worried and won't sleep well until we get the results back :frown3:
So sorry to hear of this TN as I am sure you are very worried.
Yep....our physicians deal with neck masses On Humans and the fine needle aspiration is a great diagnostic tool.
You have a great vet......hang in there I know this week will be a long wait for sure.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry—waiting for answers is tough.

Me personally? if you don't get a definitive answer, I'd have it removed. There's lots of loose flesh there, and the lump is freely moving, so it should be relatively easy for the vet to get the whole thing out. Lumps which come up fast (once you've eliminated the bee sting/infection kind of thing) I think are often mast cell tumors, which a lot of the time don't spread, but I'm one of those who would rather have a lump taken out, if it is easy to get to and especially if the dog needs something else done like a tooth cleaning, than worry about it and be checking on the thing 15 times a day.
That's pretty much my line of thought at this point, Mel. Our vet has 50% off tooth cleaning during the early spring and with this virus thing, they were closed for a while so we missed that window but yeah, right now that's what I'm thinking. Get it removed, have her teeth cleaned, and have the cyst on her head removed at the same time.

I need to cut down on her feeding a bit too, she's up to 65 1/2 pounds, and we like to keep her between 60 & 65, closer to 60 as that seems to be her ideal weight. But then she always tends to gain a few pounds in the summer when it's so hot and we can't give her the exercise she needs, and then she loses those pounds come fall when we're out there doing our long hikes.

·
Super Moderator
21,286 Posts
I totally get how you're feeling! I worry, too...hoping that you get some answers and can make an even more informed decision.

I'd lean towards having it removed and doing a dental, but hopefully you'll have more information and can make that call. Lots of prayers for Mocha!

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
my Jezebel has a lump similar to that in about the same spot - only hers has been there for years. She is starting to get some fatty lumps at age 8, and if I have any taken off, I will get the one under her jaw taken off as well. My vet has never been worried by it, and we just keep an eye on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts