Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So I need your help yet again! Our boy is now a little over 5 months old and we love him to death! When we first brought him home about three months ago and it was a bit of an adjustment to say the least. He is our first puppy and we don't have any kids yet so our training level was just about 0 at the beginning.

After 10 years of living a certain lifestyle and all of the sudden having the little guy running around and chewing everything in sight, including our arms, legs, and furniture coupled with pooping and peeing when and where he pleased was a bit of a shock to my wife.

Since I was the one pushing to bring home a new puppy, adjusting to the new lifestyle was easier for me then my wife. She was at the brink of giving up and was a little more reserved with him in those first two weeks.

But then after two weeks it seemed like a light switch went off in her brain and she absolutely started adoring him. The problem is that now she's getting upset if Leo first chooses to sit on my lap then hers and other little things like that. She gives him love 24/7. I have to take some notes from this little rascal. He's such a character!

We are getting into legitimate arguments about this lol!! She wants him to love us equally and thinks that I have an edge over her. I'm thinking that he seems to be more excited to see me since I am mostly at work all day and she spends more time with him. She thinks it must be that she corrects him more then me. I don't know it's kinda funny but I don't want to argue about it anymore. Any ideas on how we can save our marriage? :D

Anyways, now that I've bored you to death here are some pictures of him we took couple of months ago.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
aww hes handsome, I do all the training with my boy, the feeding and walking. But my pup still adores my bf and seeks for his approval but that because my bf puts himself above Odin. What your wife might be doing is treating your pup as an equal. You and your wives should put each other above your pup meaning that your pup should know that you and your wife are boss.

The number one mistake that people make that are not used to owning a dog is treat them like a kid, you have to treat them as what they are first, is a dog. They crave discipline and boundaries. I suggest you guys get a trainer to train you two on how to train your pup.

Dobes tend to attach themselves to one particular person and it is usually the person that does all the training and bonding exercises. Like I said earlier even tho my bf doesn't do any of the training or feeding I think the reason Odin still seeks his approval and love is because my bf demands respect and puts himself above Odin.

Reactions: KissNme

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
He's a cutie. Sometimes they just prefer one person to the other. It doesn't mean they don't love both of you!

I do all the training, feeding, walking, care, etc...but Shanoa will leave me in a red hot minute for my husband at any time. That doesn't mean she doesn't spend tons of time cuddling with me, but she's a daddy's girl and there's nothing I can do about it.

Simon is more of a mama's boy...maybe you just need to tell her to wait a year and then she can get her own Dobe :)

Seriously, though, I find the best way to create a deep bond is lots of positive training. I use clicker training, and I've found that it really, really helped develop a deep bond with my dogs. I initially used other training methods, but once I switched there was a marked difference in how Shanoa and I related.

Reactions: dax0402 and brw1982

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
She needs to get over it, IMO. LOL Seriously though.

He sees your wife all day. Then someone different comes home and it's exciting to get love and attention from them (you) too. End of story. What does she expect to be done? He's a puppy. Puppies like attention and love from pretty much everyone. He's not doing it to offend her.

I'm really not sure what you should say/do. I guarantee my knee-jerk reaction (rolling my eyes and telling the spouse to grow up) wouldn't go over well. :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
those photos are adorable! As for your wife, you should tell her that the dog is going to choose his human, and no amount of influence is going to change that. When we had Mysti she was totally MINE! lol .. she loved my husband and would go to him for attention and all but she followed me everywhere, sat by the couch when I was on it and was basically my dog. Its just the way things are with dobes.
The two I have now are funny, they are more attached to me, but he can get them to come to him whenever even if they are getting love from me. Only exception is when Nexus is in my chair with me.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
What a cutie patootie! My two Dobes (M/F) listen to my husband better then me. But, when he's away at work, they both lay at my feet in the office and cuddle with me during nap time.

Sometimes they just have their quirks and the grass is sometimes greener on the other side. :)

Congrats on an adorable pup. It almost makes me want to have another one. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
kobor - I will save your marriage / send Leo up to Canada, he is most adorable...He-He.

When Amy was a puppy)...Dad was the one that played tug-of-war and taught her to play growl at me and I trained her to soft bite me + I did all the OB stuff.
Mom didn't want to get bit, by our little girl...so I sat on the floor, with her and had Amy give me a go, with her teeth. Sneakly, I would put my flat palm down in her mouth, directly behind her mollar's on the gum part. I would laugh at our girl, I was winding her up and she couldn't inflict pain on me...LOL.
I think she learned the I was one that could take her play antics and also dish it out.

When our son lived at home, Amy went to bed with him first...and as soon as she knew that he dosed off asleep (1/2 hour usually)...paw click/click/click down the hall and up on the bed with Mom & Dad - I wouldn't try and sleep, until Amy was in the master bed...she knew Dad was always waiting for her visit.

Amy adores Mom & our son...very much - several years ago, she protected and submissed a bigger dog from bite attacking, my wife.
But, she cry/whines for her Dad...Mom feeds her, but I did the personal training & confidence building.
My wife has learned my consistency and dobe listens to us all (the same)...Amy just needs me, the most.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Sorry to put it so bluntly, but I agree with brw that your spouse needs to grow up/get over it and stop being immature about the dog. I was with a guy at the time that I first got my Dobe as a 5 month old pup and he behaved much like your wife. It got to a really ridiculous point and I actually left him and our house. Other factors played into the decision but I'm also not going to tolerate my partner fighting with me about dogs. He started to really resent Prime because my dog would always prefer me over him.

I suggest you sit down with her and see if she will read this article(scroll down to "King of the castle syndrome":

Social Isolation

Then calmly try and discuss the issue with her and work it out. If this is someone you want to have kids with, you don't want her to be someone who freaks out if the kid prefers to hang with dad! Set her straight now and good luck :)

...or you could be crazy dog people like my boyfriend and I who have 4 dogs between us and there is never an empty lap or spot beside us in bed :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Shes probably loving the dog too much!.
My best mate never really shows much love to their family dog.
His mum is the one that loves it to death practically spoils him but
The dog will always go to matt-friend) for a pat or anything from him.
And as soon as matt gives him a pat the dog melts with love its hilarious to watch!

The mum gets jealous all the time like your wife, but its kinda just spoiling the fact
That the dog just wants affection from all of the "pack"

She should really be enjoying the time she has all day with him and let you have your
bit of time with him! Being abit greedy IMO.

His is very handsome too! :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
He is beautiful. Just as a parent loves a child they may spoil them. If you do this with a dog it could be a disaster. Listen to everyone on here that's been here much longer then me. TRAINING, Lots of exercise. I have a hard time imagining an adult worrying that a dog loves you more then her.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Your wife = crazy.

Just kidding............... sort of...............

Dude, I feel your pain but I've got nothing to offer you that's going to help. Sorry.

Good luck, you're going to need it with more than this dog issue..........:)

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby is my dog, he is not my husbands, he is not my sons and nothing they say or do will change that. Right at this very moment he is laying down on my side of the bed with his head on my pillow, he never sleeps on my hubby's side, he never sits with him on the sofa cuddling up. But come rough housing time he is all for hubby, hubby, hubby plain and simple.
Your boy is with your wife all day, he sees her, he gets cuddles from her, she corrects him, she feeds him etc, etc, but you are a novelty, you are something new to be enjoyed. It doesnt mean he doesnt love her any less because you get first dibbs on cuddles when you are home, it means you are like a toy he has forgotten he had, rediscovers it, plays with it, loses it again (when you go off to work) and oh look, I found it again.
Some dogs choose one person for one thing and others for other things.
Your boy sounds just like my boy.
Personally speaking if your wife is getting jealous over how much attention the dog gives you I would question her maturity level. Sorry I do not mean to be rude but if my hubby reacted in this way I would tell him to get a grip, She is kicking off over how much attention the dog is giving you when you come home from work etc, yea gods, heaven help you if you have kids some day in the future and they turn out to be daddy's little soldiers or little princesses when he comes home.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,343 Posts
She needs to get over it, IMO. LOL Seriously though.

He sees your wife all day. Then someone different comes home and it's exciting to get love and attention from them (you) too. End of story. What does she expect to be done? He's a puppy. Puppies like attention and love from pretty much everyone. He's not doing it to offend her.

I'm really not sure what you should say/do. I guarantee my knee-jerk reaction (rolling my eyes and telling the spouse to grow up) wouldn't go over well. :)
Totally agree. Baron is with me all day. I train him, feed him, walk him, etc., but when DH comes home, he is all over him and spends most of the evening sitting under his legs or hanging around him. They are all different though. Don't remember too much how the first Dobe reacted to us because we both worked full time. But, the second was strictly my Dobe. He could have cared less about anyone else, including DH, but me. I was the center of is universe. The third and only female was both our dog equally. Like your knee-jerk reaction BRW! That would be mine also! LOL

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Don't have much advice here, but I tend to hear that Dobermans often choose a person - maybe it's you. Your wife will have to accept that. Java was technically originally my fiance's dog, but he made his choice - me. I went out of my way to train and spend time with him enough that he would like and respect me, but to do so much less than my fiance did so that they could develop their own bond. I did probably 25% of the feeding, training, snuggling, etc., and still. He's decided to bond to me, and we've adjusted. Violet (my Rough Collie) is primarily mine, was purchased as "my" dog, but is extremely affectionate toward my fiance. She has a strong training bond with me, and very obviously loves me, but there's something between them. She just adores him. Collies tend to be a bit more "one family" dogs than "one person" dogs, so with her it's less drastic - probably 60/40, in favor of my fiance, and that's okay with me. But all the same, I didn't really intend to have two dogs that were predominantly "mine" (both are ours, but still...), and he surely didn't intend for the Collie to get more attached to him when she'd been mine for well over a year but... :rolleyesww: Sometimes dogs make their choices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts