Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking while I was riding today about how much I truly love Torque and that got me to thinking about when I first fell in love with the breed.

I think I was around 6 or 7 and at a picnic/party thing (family reunion or my dad's company picnic). Bunch of people had brought their dogs and someone had a Doberman. I don't remember a lot from that young of an age but I do remember seeing that Dobe and thinking it was the most beautiful dog I had ever seen. It was a female, black and tan, I think her name was Sassy. I walked over to the owner and asked if I could pet her and he said "Yes". The Dobe proceeded to put her head in the middle of my stomach and lean on me and I was hooked. Its funny the things you remember sometimes. Took me almost 20 years to get my own but now I could never live with out one.

My question is:

Do you remember when you fell in love with the breed?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
For me, it happened at work. My parents never let me have a dog so when I was in high school I started working at a doggy daycare (PetSmart. I was in heaven! I got to play with dogs all day long and get paid for it! Plus, I got to meat so many different breeds. Anyways, I was often the person put in with the big dog group since nobody else felt comfortable around a bunch of large dogs. There was a woman who brought in her three dobermans (two females and a male) every single day and the females were always in the group play. One of the females was named Bella. She was one of the most beautiful dogs I've ever seen. However, what really impressed me was the way that this dog was able to basically run the playgroup without any growls or nips or other acts of dominance. I had never seen that in a dog before and I was super impressed. What I loved most though was that when all the dogs tired out and I could finally sit for a while, she would sit on my lap and keep all of the other dogs from licking my face. Bella is the reason that I started wanting a doberman. I met many more dobermans at different places I've worked since then and have yet to meet any that I haven't been impressed with, actually.

·
Registered
975 Posts
About 39 yrs ago I was going to obedience classes with my mini Schnauzer and this lady was in the next class with 2 dobermans. I stayed one night to watch and see if I should continue with the schnauzer and when I watched those funny silly dogs I was lost. There was never a doubt I would have a doberman. It was always the personality of them for me.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I cant really remember how I fell in love with the breed, I just always remember looking in akc books and always staying on the page of the Doberman and reading. I was trying to memorize all the breeds because I was thinking about becoming a veterinarian. Every time I walked by a Doberman or saw one I always would stare.

I had gotten a dog for my 15th birthday but she ended up being my dads dog so the next birthday my mom found a Doberman that needed to be re homed and so we went and picked him up and I fell in love with the breed even more than I thought I could.

Not only are the beautiful but their personality fits me so well

·
Registered
142 Posts
The movie Beethoven came out in 92 or 94 I think? So I was around 6 or 7, and when I saw the dobermans get the bad guys in the end I was obsessed. I remember being so excited. Then again when I saw one in little rascals lol. They're such beautiful dogs and after reading about their personalities and how they follow you everywhere, it makes them the dream dog for me! I worked at petsmart from 16-19 and never saw one. Funny huh?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't remember the actual moment I wanted a Dobe, but there were some at the training club I attended with my golden when I was a kid. I always wanted either a Dobe or a GSD (grew up with Rough Collies). When our oldest collie died, we went back and forth between a Dobe or GSD. The family decided on the GSD and we got Amber. I was a little bummed. But, I always hung on to the desire for a Dobe and decided to get one when I was old enough and settled enough to provide for it. When I was about 12 or 13, I got a book on Dobermans. I dug it out and actually brought it along on the trip from Illinois to Arkansas to get Chase. I had actually underlined portions when I was a kid....like I knew enough to know what to underline!

·
Registered
355 Posts
We got our min pin, and right away I started looking online to see how much our min pin looked like a "real" Doberman, It was looking at pics online and watching videos that got me really interested, then I saw a Doberman Playdate advertised on Kijiji, at a local dog park, my wife and I went, there were over 35 Dobermans there that afternoon, and I thought were so agile and beautiful. We both knew right there we would get one!

We are so happy with our choice to adopt a Dobie!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I fell in love with our first doberman Duke who was trained in german. Duke was very patient with me because I had some terrible experiences with dobermans....He loved me through my fear...after that I was never afraid of a big dog....Duke died 20 years ago of DCM in my arms...I still have tears thinking about him.

Today the love of my life is our female alpha doberman...she will kick your butt if you're not in charge.Devon is fearless until it comes a thunderstorm...then she's hiding in the covers LOL! It was love at first sight for this doberman....:)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I grew up on a farm and was dogless, most of the time. (my Mom didn't like dogs, but Dad did)
Sure we had cats, all the time, to control mice in the barn and they were tame...to pet...but it just wasn't the same as a dog, to follow us around.
In the 15 years, of country living...only a few years was with black labs.
Our pup got kicked by a cow once (in the head), and he would pull on my Dads pant leg, when ever my father proceeded to go into the stalls, and spread straw.
I thought this one act, to protect my parent from harm, was indeed smart for a dog. (at this time, I was in public school)

Around 1971 while in highschool, I saw the Doberman Gang movie, at the theater...and was hooked.
I was asstounded at the shear intellegent and magestic quality, of the dobe breed.
Before I left the show, I vowed to own one of these dogs, when I was on my own.

I went to College for 3 years, and remember finding a Doberman book at a downtown farmers market, that I purchased.
(I read and read it and stared at the photos, over and over)
Straight out of College, I got married to my highschool sweetheart, and our first dobe puppy just truned 8 weeks old, for pickup.
When we returned from our honeymoon...in the USA.

From that old book on dobes, the one key phrase that sold me was:
Doberman's...the dog with half the human brain.
I knew I would be in for a treat, once I got one...and that statement, proved to be correct.

·
Registered
662 Posts
We moved into our new home in 1988. I was out gardening one day and I saw this man walking his doberman. I didn't know any of our neighbours yet so I just stood there and watched them go by. I don't know what hit me that day but I said to myself I want one.

Next time I saw him I went over and asked if I could pet his doberman. Jasper was black and tan and the typical silly boy. I must of asked Ross a million questions. He told me to come by and I could play with him in his backyard.

We got our first doberman male in 1989. We picked him up at a dog show, our breeders were there that day and it was love at first site. He was so cute with his ears all taped and these huge paws. I still remember all the silly things he used to do to make us laugh.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,344 Posts
We got our first Doberman in 1978. DH always wanted a Doberman. He picked up a paperback book about Dobermans when he was in high school and always told his dad that he would some day have a Doberman. We still have that book and we are now on our 4th Doberman. There is no other breed like a Doberman.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts