Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Carson really needs to lose some poundage....

Increasing exercise is not an option, so I am thinking of selling a kidney..:roflmao: and also switching him to Nature's Variety pre-made raw.

When I use their calculator to determine how much to feed him, do I put in his current weight, or desired weight, or somewhere in between?

If I decide to only feed one raw meal and the other mostly green beans and a little NV kibble, would that be okay?

I know the bully sticks aren't helping, how often can you feed turkey necks for a treat? Any other long chewing treat suggestions? RMB's are out due to 3 broken teeth on them so far.

ETA: When I calculate the calories on the raw vs their kibble, the raw has more calories, so I wonder why it results in weight loss?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Raw does not result in weight loss. Calories in, calories out. Feed less, equals losing weight :)

I would go by what he should weigh unless he's hugely obese :) Keep in mind often the bags/packages over estimate what the dog should eat. Eat more, buy more.

For an example, Flirt who is 72 lbs eats 1 lb of raw each meal. She eats a freaking ton of food :) If I fed kibble she'd be eating 5-6 cups. She runs 2 hours on the weekends.

You can feed raw one meal and kibble the next. For treats think of overall calories. If I feed something like a bully stick, I cut back on a meal.

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
how often can you feed turkey necks for a treat? Any other long chewing treat suggestions? RMB's are out due to 3 broken teeth on them so far.
Don't give turkey necks to a dog with broken teeth. Turkey neckbones are very hard and are considered a RMB. Sorry, I got to leave right now. I have a problem with chew treats for Parker, too. It is mainly bones, but he eats them so fast, it is more of a meal than a chew treat.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Linda, those teeth that were broken were looked after (removed). Just don't want to break any more. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't know if this helps but Dude is 80lbs and he eats another variety pre mix raw. He eats 4lbs a day. I would make the switch over and use the recommended calculation. After a month see where he is weighing in and adjust as needed.

I can give turkey necks twice a week. You will just have to watch out for constipation from too much bone.

I love the buster cube to feed. It takes them forever to get the kibble out and will help get some exercise during the meal.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I feed primal turkey sardine really low cal. And my 80lb male who is almost even gets two and half eight oz patties all day. He was a bit fluffy before I switched to raw. He's nice and sleek now

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feed primal turkey sardine really low cal. And my 80lb male who is almost even gets two and half eight oz patties all day. He was a bit fluffy before I switched to raw. He's nice and sleek now
Now that looks interesting....I went to their site and every country but Canada seems to have it...:screama:

I am going to check it out with my frozen food store.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I feed v green beans with his raw in the am. He is on a diet. Trying to get a little lighter for agility. He gets 4ish oz in the am and somewhere around a pound for dinner. If we have training he will get a smaller dinner. He's 88 lbs. I also watch what he gets for treats in training. I like bravo's turkey bites or buffalo freeze dried. Very low fat. We have training 3 nights a week and usually sun morning too. lots of cookies!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Monty gets 2 pounds total each day he is a nice lean 80#. Petey ate the same amount and he was overweight. The pound in the morning is pure meat, heart, organ and either beef, pork, venison, chicken or turkey. His evening meal is on the bone, beef, lamb or pork ribs, chicken or turkey. At one point I used the pre-made raw for a couple of weeks while I was away, and Petey lost weight on 2 pounds per day. I guess the fat content isn't as much as what I feed sometimes.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swilly only gets 12oz per day(based on their calculator), lol, and she hasn't really lost much weight. (3/4 patty AM and PM).

Carson was pretty happy to get his own patty this AM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts