Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 1 year old male is losing the hair on his front and back elbows (more so on the front). It seems to be thinning from the abrasion of sitting/laying down on carpet, concrete, rough surfaces, etc. No sores are present, he is just developing bald spots. We are currently using Bag Balm but it doesn't seem to be making a difference at this point.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Ivan is 11 months old and the hair on the SIDES of his elbows is thinnning, not the pointy part where the pressure would actually be. He doesn't have scabs, sores, etc. either.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
look into coconut oil, you can buy it at your grocery store and it is solid when you buy it but can melt into and oil. I give a tablespoon to my dog every morning and he loves it and its not only good for hair growth but dozens of other things as well. I started giving it to my dog when he has some hair loss from some sever hives and it helped regrow his hair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this problem with my female and she also started having a small growth on one. I took her to the vet and they said it wasnt anything to worry about. i appreciate the idea for the coconut oil though..def something i will try :)

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Some dogs just have thinning there. Unless he really is on hard surfaces all the time some dogs just have thin spots there.
If his coat is otherwise good soft surfaces will help, try to avoid getting canvas or hard nylon bedding if he doesn't have a chewing problem because those fabrics are abrasive.

Our girl, altho hypothyroid started her balding on the elbows. She looks like she sleeps on concrete but her coat has gotten progressively worse as she gets older, no matter what we feed or where she sleeps.

ps. if you crate him without padding any small amount of dirt in the crate will act like sandpaper on boney areas....like elbows etc. and will rub hair off eventually.

·
Premium Member
10,127 Posts
I don't often attribute coat problems to diet but an internet friend was having similar problems with her red dogs coat when he was just under a year. She sent pictures and it looked like calluses but after a lot of conversation about where he slept and where he laid down I decided that it didn't really sound like surface wear.

She had him checked by two different vets--one said it was no problem but the other put him on a long course of antibiotics and suggested a diet change. She was feeding him Bil Jac at the time--a food I've had zero experience with--she switched him to something else and the elbow and hock bare skin and callused looking areas cleared up as did the thinning hair on his topline.

14 or 15 months later she sent me a picture of his hocks and elbows--again he looked like he had calluses and perhaps the kind of wear you might associate with in a dog who was always on cement without any bedding. I made her dig out the old pictures and asked what she was feeding. She had started feeding Bil Jac again and since the other three dogs who were eating it (Greyhound, another Doberman and a Golden) had no problems with it she hadn't even thought of it as a potential problem.

She took him off it and put him on a mid range chicken and rice blend and in three months his elbows and hocks were covered with hair again and she's had no problems since.

Clearly the Bil Jac was not the right food for this particular dog. So you might consider trying a different food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts