Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
from a new member. My husband would like to purchase a doberman. we have never owned a dog and we have a 9 & 11 year old kids. Everybody I talk to ask, "why do you want a dobe?" "dobes are not good family dogs and attack children." Any advice? My husband has researched this bread and had friends growing up with this bread. All I had growing up was a "mutt". If one socializes these dogs early, are they usually friendly to all? We looked at a litter of 6 pups last night. Very cute and Very active. The father dobe had a very good temperment and wanted to play with us, as soon as we walked in the door. The female was a little nervous, but I think that is normal for a mother. We have a fenced back yard, but most of it is taken up by a pool and a lot of concreat. I want this dog to be an indoor dog. Any advice about crates? How often do I need to walk him? We live near a lot of mountain trails.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi Lorraine and welcome. The people who have told you that are uninformed. I guarantee that if you asked any one of them if they owned dobies themselves, they would say no, that's just what they "heard". Healthy Dobermans make excellent family dogs. That being said, they require excellent human "parents" who fully understand the training and exercise requirements (which are considerable) and are ready, willing and able to devote the time and fulfill their needs. They are not your generic "blob" dog. I would not recommend a dobie pup as a "starter" dog for inexperienced owners. All the families here are owned by dobies. I'm sure they will chime in also. Maybe you could tell us why specifically your husband wants a dobie?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Lorraine, Dobermans are a HUGE responsibility and challenging to raise, moreso than a dog like, say...a golden retriever or a beagle. From your post, it also looks like you are looking at the pups of a backyard breeder which, in itself, is inviting trouble...possibly BIG trouble, in both health and temperment...which could lead to BIG expense in many ways. Don't fall into the trap of falling for the cute dobie puppy because it's "available". Have you looked at the local pound puppies, or even adult dogs (1+ year old) from breed rescues so that you know better exactly what you're getting? Seems to me from what you've told us that might be a better choice for both your family and the dog you'd be adopting. JMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new pup

OK, I have read and appreciate your advice. The litter of pups that we looked at are registered and the breeders seemed to be very clean and conscious of their dogs. All of which are kept inside. I did not detect any odor, or misuse of the dogs.
My husband wants a dobe, because he insist that they are good, loyal family dogs. Also, he is away alot and would feel more assured that his family is safe if we had a dog.
He likes the fact that the dobe is smart, loyal, short haired.
Any advice is so welcomed

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you get any dog please put up a tall flag by the steps of your pool and teach the dog where the steps are.Read that in Dog Fancy thought it was a great idea for those who have pools.Dobes need allot of exercise swimming would be a great way to have the dog get exercise. Also if you have not owned a dog in a while obedience classes where you go with the dog is a great way to bond with any dog or pup.
Old dog person, wish their was a pool that would let dogs swim for exercise but here they do not even have Dog Parks. Socialization of a pup or dog is absolutely a must to have a well rounded trust worthy dog or pup.
I'm new to the Dobe breed but not to dogs.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Your husband is right, they are good and loyal dogs. Sooz and Murreydobe are also right, Dobe pups are not for a novice owner. When I brought my first Dobe, Chi, home I felt as though I was relatively experienced with dogs and maybe even a little more devoted than most owners. I can assure you that Chi erased all notion of my k-9 experience but quick! The amount of work it takes to ensure a Dobe pup grows into a well socialized, safe member of family and society is not for the faint of heart. Their exercise needs alone are enough to drive a person batty (although it's recently been brought to my attention that mine might be a bit more energetic than most) - add to that constant socialization and training and prepare to devote a good time of your day, every day to the new pup.
A clean, indoor place and registration papers, although good qualities do not guarantee the breeders of this litter are quality. Are the parents titled? Have they been health tested? How old are they? Is the breeder sending the pups home with the option of ear crop, do they expect you to do it yourself or do they keep the pup through the crop and the first posting? Please take time to thoroughly read this link: http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm
My advice to you is to attend a couple local shows and speak with Dobe people and breeders there. Contact your local Dobe rescue, they will be an invaluable source of information and could possibly have an adult dog who is already trained and out of the crazy puppy stage in need of a home... A quality breeder will not sell a pup to you if it's not a good match, a byb will sell a pup to you just to get your $$.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
lorraine said:
OK, I have read and appreciate your advice. The litter of pups that we looked at are registered and the breeders seemed to be very clean and conscious of their dogs. All of which are kept inside. I did not detect any odor, or misuse of the dogs.
My husband wants a dobe, because he insist that they are good, loyal family dogs. Also, he is away alot and would feel more assured that his family is safe if we had a dog.
He likes the fact that the dobe is smart, loyal, short haired.
Any advice is so welcomed
Welcome Lorraine, both parents on site sometimes is an indication of a byb. If your heart is set on a puppy, take your time and do your homework.:)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
The Doberman is a fantastic breed, but they do require alot of work and attention to make them a part of the family. They are really smarter than their own good. Especially for a first time doberman owner, their is a big commitment to make it work. Socialization and training classes are a must. I'm a first time doberman owner and I thought I knew enough of the breed, but I was mistaken. I had alot of work cut out for me at first. But with devotion and alot of time to invest in the dog has worked out for me. I'm just a pet owner, but I invested in 15 months of serious training since I got her, just to make her know exactly where she belongs in th family. It was worth it, but it was no easy task.

Plus the doberman is not like many other common breeds that people have. They are people dogs and want to be with you constantly. They have high requirements for exercise, physically and mentally, on a daily basis. They need to know exactly where you want them in you pack. You do not have to know everything about the doberman before getting one, but you must be wiling to learn. Most owners wanting a doberman find they do not have what it takes to raising one and sadly, the doberman ends up in a rescue when they can't meet their needs. And thats if they are lucky. In the wrong hands, they can become the notorious doberman everyone has come to see the doberman todays. Research and learn as much as you can.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Kratty said:
Most owners wanting a doberman find they do not have what it takes to raising one and sadly, the doberman ends up in a rescue when they can't meet their needs. And thats if they are lucky. In the wrong hands, they can become the notorious doberman everyone has come to see the doberman todays. Research and learn as much as you can.
This really can't be stressed enough. Dobermans make wonderful family pets ****IF**** they're raised in a home that provides adequate leadership and training. And "adequate leadership and training" for a doberman is far more than it is for the generic dog out there.

When that leadership and training isn't provided, you wind up with a dog that bites..usually their owners, as the dog matures and the owners try to make it do something it doesn't want to do. We see this over and over again, and far too often people get hurt, and the dogs wind up paying with their lives, simply because a novice owner got more dog than they could deal with.

If your husband travels a lot, it would seem YOU'RE going to be the one providing most of the care and training for a dog..so I'd take that into consideration. Do YOU want a doberman? Do YOU have the strength of character to handle one? There's no sin if you say no to either of those questions. And to be honest, any dog of any breed that barks provides a pretty good level of protection for most homes.

Please, please, please..LISTEN to what people are trying to tell you here. There are easier breeds who have a much higher chance of succeeding in a home with novice dog owners. To repeat what's already been said: this isn't a "starter" breed.

One big red flag to me about the puppies you're looking at is they're being sold now, right before Christmas. You generally find the better breeders won't allow a puppy to leave their home until after the holidays. In fact, many breeders will skip breeding a bitch during a particular heat period if it means they're going to have puppies ready for placement during this time.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Hi Lorraine, Welcome to Doberman Talk! I am glad that you have decided to join us and ask questions. This is a great place for that, there are alot of long time doberman owners on here who are a wealth of information.

That being said, before I knew what I know now I went and bought a doberman puppy from the newspaper. I thought that "reputable breeders, and good bloodlines" were for people who wanted to show their dogs. Boy was I wrong. I love my dober-boy to death, but if I had it to do over again I would have found a good breeder who tested the health of their dogs, and knew about the history of the parents, the temperment of the parents (grandparents..etc.) especially if I were bringing the puppy into a home with children.

Not to mention...I know it seems like it would be waaaay cheaper to go and buy that puppy out of the newspaper, but once you add up the cost of the puppy, ear cropping, aftercare, potential health threats that you may not be aware of (which with dobermans...there are alot) you really are not saving any money!

I think that dobermans are wonderful dogs, they have so much to offer to the right home...but they are not for every family. I hope that you will continue to research the breed, and we are all here if you need us!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about dobermans. then are a lots of very knowledgable Dobe Nuts here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts