Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our pup has had three days of loose stool so I rushed a sample over to the vet this morning and they are saying it will take three to four days for the results to come back. It wasn,t quite diareah it had more of a pudding consistency (sorry i know that sounds gross but there is no other way to describe it) but it was almost there so as a precaution I figured I would have it tested. My question is this, they said I could mix in rice with her kibble to help firm things up can I use brown rice? The receptionist said white rice only but I'm thinking white rice really is nothing but starch and the brown rice is the better carb does it really make a difference on whether I mix in white rice over the brown rice which I prefer to try? Any and all advice would be appreciated last night she had to go in the middle of the night which is very uncharacteristic of her so I'm thinking her gut just isn't right. They also said I could give a tablespoon of canned pumpkin is that something that should be given right off the spoon or should that be spaced out throughout the day? Other than the loose stool she is acting completely normal she just to me looks a little skinny but I don't know I may just be over reacting because of the diareah for three days. No new foods were introduced but she did have some apples and some cranberry sticks that I don't feed too often.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
White rice is better for this purpose than brown... I would not use brown. I would give a tablespoon of canned pumpkin mixed into each meal.

I have never had a vet send out a fecal sample... this has been done in-house by every vet I have used. Kinda surprised me that yours was sent out.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White rice is better for this purpose than brown... I would not use brown. I would give a tablespoon of canned pumpkin mixed into each meal.

I have never had a vet send out a fecal sample... this has been done in-house by every vet I have used. Kinda surprised me that yours was sent out.
you know I kind of thought the same thing, she didn't specifically say they were sending it out but why else would it take three to four days? I think I am going to call the vet in a few hours when they open, I think you are right, it shouldn't take a few "days" to run stool under a slide. It just happened again and its 5am and I'm wide awake with her, I really can't wait three to four days for results, I'm going to call them as soon as they open and start nagging them for her results. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
White is for stooping them up so to speak. Brown make them go. So I have been told. You can also boil chicken and put that in the rice. I put it in the chopper so he doesn't only eat the chicken. Pumpkin is good too. You can find it in the baking section of the grocery store. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
White is for stooping them up so to speak. Brown make them go. So I have been told. You can also boil chicken and put that in the rice. I put it in the chopper so he doesn't only eat the chicken. Pumpkin is good too. You can find it in the baking section of the grocery store. :)
Jenny thanks I'm going to get some white rice and boil that with some chicken and see if it helps. It makes sense. She did eat some apple slices a few days ago but apples I think are binding, maybe that caused the diareah, not sure, I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what causing this. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not yet I'm going to call tomorrow. I'm kind of mad its taking this long. Her stools are still loose not quite diareah but still loose and not her "norm" if you know what I mean. In the meantime I cut out the apples alltogether just in case that was the culprit and I substituted them with carrots. She loves her veggies. Hopefully tomorrow I will have an answer as tomorrow will be the third day since I dropped it off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'am curious as to what you are feed as a meal. Could it be whats at meal time? Not sure if it was mentioned but overfeed can also cause loose stool as well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

yep they definately sent it out, they said it was more effective to send it out than to do a snap test on it. they even went so far to tell me they didn't know of any vets here who do test in house, so now I'm on a mission to find one. Pup tested positive for Giardia so now we are in decontamination mode. Not very happy to say the least.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are in Vegas right?

So are we and Griffe had Giardia a few months ago so that would have been my guess if I had read this sooner!

Which vet do you go to? Ours sent it out as well, but I think we found out the next day?

The meds they gave him seemed to clear it up pretty quick so hopefully it will do the same for her!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You are in Vegas right?

So are we and Griffe had Giardia a few months ago so that would have been my guess if I had read this sooner!

Which vet do you go to? Ours sent it out as well, but I think we found out the next day?

The meds they gave him seemed to clear it up pretty quick so hopefully it will do the same for her!
so you didnt have a reccurence? Our Vet is over in Henderson and I have four dogs and I'm so afraid of them reinfecting each other. I dont' even understand how she could have gotten it, she doesn't eat poop, there is no stagnant water lying around, I am constantly cleaning up the yard. It took four days for me to get the results back. We are bringing in all four for treatment. what vet do you use?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Griffe is our only dog and I was paranoid he would re-infect himself, but luckily it went away!

He was going to doggy day camp for a little and if he didn't catch it there, he probably ate something he shouldn't have when we were hiking up in Red Rock?

We go to West Flamingo Animal Hospital off Flamingo and Jones.

How old is Bella again? Griffe will be 10 months next week!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bella just turned six months old today and if I tell you how manic I am about everything pertaining to her as well as our other dogs you would think I was nuts. lol. She has never ever been to doggy day care (although I have to admit the thought of having six hours of peace is tempting. lol) never been to a dog park (I don't want her around strange dogs) and I am always cleaning so it came as a complete shock that she had this. I've had dogs my entire life. two of our current dogs are shelter dogs and I have never ever had to deal with Giardia before. I am at a total loss to say the least. The vet says its pretty common out here but more so in summer when its hot and dry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would suggest a puppy play date, but Griffe is getting a little too excited with the ladies lately lol.

I tried crating him and working for 4 hours in the am and coming home the rest of the day, but after 3 months I realized my business had died and I really wasn't working, and that wasn't really an option for me so we had to go to plan b.

All I have to say about doggy day care now is I LOVE it!!! (It's at someone's house which is also amazing). He socializes and plays all day, has constant supervision, and he is tired when he gets home =)

That was all off topic, but we avoid dog parks as well and he hated his crate so much he broke the door off, so we all have our issues with the pups and at least you have 3 others to keep her company!

Giardia is definitely not fun so good luck with that and I think between a powder and a pill for a week it went away pretty quick. Also adding some high fiber food seemed to help too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh I totally understand. Thats great that you have an in house doggie daycare, sometimes I wish I had one just to give my other three a break. lol. She's alot of puppy for them 24/7. lol. She loves her crate, no issues there, I'm the one who has a problem putting her in there. lol. SHe does great in it when we go out though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts