Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that grinds my gears is loose dogs when I am walking Kaiser. The other day on the way to the dog park, a long haired dachshund came tearing across the front yard and attacked Kaiser.... He isn't used to aggressive dogs because he normally sees the dog park dogs. Well he proceeded to go after the dog. I pulled him back and the dachshund kept coming after him until the owner heard the noise and got her dog.... She then looked at me like Kaiser attacked her dog. That is the first time I have seen him be aggressive. But this happens more often then I thought it would. People need to keep a better eye on their dogs if they are off leash.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
How about the people that say, "Oh he's friendly." And you tell them, "Well, he's not." And they just look at you like you are stupid or something. I had this happen to me walking Cole. We came across this woman with two labs off lead. The male was standing in the middle of the path. Cole and I stop and he sits. She says to me, he's friendly. I say, well, he is not. She says, but he's friendly--as the dog decides to start barking at Cole and slowly advancing. I say, well my boy is not and you need to get your dog!

It finally registers with her that her dog is approaching a not too friendly dog in an intimidating manner. And she calls him back, but of course he does not come to her. So, she has to race up and grab him. Oh boy, people are so brainless sometimes.

Another time, we were walking and this lose dog comes racing around the bend. I stop, the dog stops and then the owner comes running around the bend and grabs the dog. Do you know what he says to me??? He is not the friendliest dog. So, I'm thinking, why the heck is he off lead then??? Good grief.

Reactions: adajane1

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I'm ready to report 2 more in my neighborhood - have already reported one. I'm sick of people just letting their dogs roam around.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I freaking hate loose dogs. I carry mace and/or a tube sock with 2 metal balls in it to knock the piss out of any dogs that come near us. I have had to many bad experiences walking my dogs.

Peaches was attacked just days after I adopted her walking down MY OWN street. The neighbors yellow lab, (no fenced yard at all!) came running across the street and attacked her in the side. I've had a chow chase me and Cole home before and my first Doberman Max bit me in the knee when I stepped in front of him and a loose golden ret that were getting ready to fight. Stupid move, I know, I just reacted.

I'm fed up and I'm not going to take it anymore!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I run into this all the friggin time and it annoys me to no end. I rarely take Tucker anywhere anymore cause of other people. We know he's male dog aggressive...I keep him on lead, people still insist on letting their dogs come right up to him no matter how hard I try to keep them back

Interestingly enough though, Tucker wasn't majorly upset with Rah when they met....I'm hoping we can get the two of them together to play in the river soon! :D

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
I freaking hate loose dogs. I carry mace and/or a tube sock with 2 metal balls in it to knock the piss out of any dogs that come near us. I have had to many bad experiences walking my dogs.

Peaches was attacked just days after I adopted her walking down MY OWN street. The neighbors yellow lab, (no fenced yard at all!) came running across the street and attacked her in the side. I've had a chow chase me and Cole home before and my first Doberman Max bit me in the knee when I stepped in front of him and a loose golden ret that were getting ready to fight. Stupid move, I know, I just reacted.

I'm fed up and I'm not going to take it anymore!

That is so scary.. an incident like that would completely ruin Nike.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Luckily Duchess is okay enough to be able to tolerate most of it...a tall hound puppy ran up to duch once when we were training walking around the block...so luckily I had treats to keep the pup from jumping all over duchess...and walked him back to his owners using the treats.
Then another small beagle puppy was on the loose...but this little boy was trying to catch it so it must have been an accident and just got out of the fenced yard. This one made me laugh cause the little boy and the beagle was racing around in circles around duch trying so me and duch puppy trying to sniff duch's butt and the boy trying to grab the pup lol. Meanwhile Duchess is doing circles cause she doesnt care for the puppy smelling her butt when the little boy is running around lol.
But other than that Yeah loose dogs are a pain. Especially when Im walking coco. Ive told you guys before that I have picked coco up when a small loose dog was approaching. Cause I knew if that dog came up to coco it would be more work trying to deal with the situation. and wouldnt be good for coco's fearfulness rehab :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can't agree with you all more! I have a problem with owners walking there dogs off leash but not being able to control them when they want to. Tia has been attacked twice by dogs being walked off the leash with their owners saying "he won't hurt you" - the first time being when Tia was only about 4 months old.

These situations have left her nervous of other dogs and also me nervous everytime I see a dog off its lead the park - infact i don't often go in the park anymore unless hubby is with me. It seems so unfair that Tia misses out because of irresponsible owners.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I used to be afraid, but not anymore. I just step right up to the dog and yell at it. If that does not work, I either try to kick the s#!% out of it or, if is it small, smack the [email protected]!! out of it. I have only had to do this twice. Usually, when I see the dog off lead, I yell to the owner, My dog is not friendly. They quickly collect their pet.

I have to say, that I generally avoid places where I know people chronically have dogs off lead. Luckily, where I am, there are quite a few places to walk Cole and not run into people with dogs off lead. There is one place where an older gentleman jogs with his Aussie of lead, but she is so well trained that she never leaves his side.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, we were hiking way out in the desert the other day and Sherman was off leash. Well, we were only a matter of a few yards away from him and we noticed a person walking with three dogs off leash, well over 100 yards away. So, I leashed Sherman on the spot. Well, she was walking with NO leashes in hand and NO way to control them. They all ran up to us and were all around us. One was some type of Pitt breed, one was some sort of retriever, and the other was a mutt of some sort. Anyway, it took her forever to amble on over. She said one was ok, one was iffy, and one was not very good. It was pretty ridiculous. I had to pick up my 50 lb dog and carry him away in my arms because of all the ridiculous excitement.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is nothing that makes me madder than a dog off lead. It amazes me that there are so many stupid people in the world. A Saint Bernard once ran off her porch dragging the owner behind it. If you can't keep it on the porch then don't let it on the porch. Last week a dachshund nipped Reese on his back leg. A quick correction kept Reese walking but he so easily could have killed it with one bite. There is also a lab and a basset in town that are allowed to roam their yards. Their owners just can't believe when they run out in the street to bark at us. If there was ever a fight you know it would be Reese that was blamed because he's a Doberman.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that most dog owners, outside of those on this forum, are irresponsible morons. The mace idea is great, will have to pick up some red pepper spray. Java is not dog aggressive but if a male insists on smelling her butt after the initial greeting or a small dog charges her muzzle she will eventually go devil dog on them. Can't blame her - I'd go devil dog if a complete stranger insisted on climbing on me too! There are days when I won't even get out of the car at the DP if I see certain problem dogs/owners. Interesting how labs always seem to be mentioned on the forum as potential problem dogs - not sure if it's the extensive breeding to keep up with the popularity (and am truly not trying to generalize here - like people there are good and bad w/in every breed), or owners neglecting to train them properly and shame on them! Was pleasantly surprised/relieved to pick up Cesar Milan's book and see Dobes DIDN'T make the national dog bite registry list, yet labs were in the top five!

To my son's embarrassment, I am not above picking up the cell and calling the park police if there is an irresponsible owner and potentially dangerous dog around. Have only done it on one occasion - if I see the slightest hint of trouble I pack Java up and we got for a walk instead. I'd hate to see someone's beloved well-behaved pet get hurt (mine included) simply because I didn't want to be embarrassed - not a good enough reason. There have been dogs at the park that have radomly attacked other dogs without provocation. Have also been known to finally tell someone to keep their dog the heck away from mine when the first dozen 'please control your dog' didn't seem to register. I can't trust that Java wouldn't insist on finishing a fight the other dog started, and it's my job to keep her out of a fight and out of harm's way before it even has a chance to escalate to that level.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah, I think I am going to get some mace/pepper spray and be sure to spray that stupid owner too. Sorry but this is a *real* pet peeve of mine! GRR!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its not just when I walk Kaiser. My fiancé and I ride our bikes around town when its nice out. Well one dog I have seen chained up before that always barks and charges got off his chain.... He came after her so I put myself in between the dog and her and it turn away. The very next day, I was by myself and the same dog came after me. One swift kick to the dog's head stopped it from biting at me. I called the animal shelter and I never saw it again. However, I feel bad for it because it had to suffer because of its irresponsible owners. They did get a new dog however.....and it's currently chained up outside like the last dog.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i cant understand stupid owners!!! your walking your dog and you see a doberman, how stupid are you to let your dog come near it? i know not all dobes are vicious but damn when they want to be they are! hopefully the oppersite dog isnt a pit or a rotie or a gsd... damage

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ugh, you ain't kidding barn! I honestly don't even try to walk the dogs in our own neighborhood anymore. I gave up. Their walks start out in the car, drive across town to the Jr. high where it is fenced in with walking trails. It is a bother, but better than the stress and potential harm.

When I did walk them here, I NEVER left home without a walking stick. I have never had to actually HIT a dog, but I have needed to threaten them.

I worry about kids in our neighborhood constantly, many walk their dogs....little dogs or big, a kid hasn't got a chance of breaking up a fight before someone get's hurt :( AND if they try to, they will end up bitten or WORSE.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
5 or 6 years back, I had the intact dog and neighbor from __. Everytime I went thru my gate for a walk there he was and not nice. I called, pleaded with the neighbor then moved on to animal control with no results. I tried the pepper spray, got more on me and my boy than on the loose offender. Finally I borrowed a cattle-prod and that worked. The dog continued to go after everybody else walking dogs on our road but left me and my boy alone. Even knocked a 94 year old woman walking her toy dog down! He was hit last year, not by me. Felt sorry for the dog as it was his jerk owners fault. Now they have new male pup! It's actually not that easy to use pepper spray when you have a dog after your dog.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My own yard is not fenced in, so Ari's morning "out" time involves me walking around the yard with her on lead. It's a bother, but I'd rather do it than have to worry that she'll run off. My husband is able to take her out off-lead without her running off, and she seems to understand the boundaries of the yard; she goes OUT of the yard ON lead and stays IN the yard when OFF lead.

I've had problems with a few people in the neighborhood who just let their dogs run loose. Luckily, they're not dangerous--one rambling (BIG!) black lab was running around one day when I took Ari out for a run one morning, and I slowed down, wondering what the dog was going to do, since it was running toward us. I sat Ari, and we stood, waiting for the dog to approach us. It didn't seem to be aggressive--just a quick sniff of Ari and I, and off on its way it went, as if we'd never been there. Ari, also, didn't seem too upset about it--like, "hmm, cool dude, that dog, can we keep running?"

I have had a few people wanting to let their KIDS play with Ari when I'm out with her. You can't leash kids, and they don't always pay attention to their parents, so what can you do? I've had to growl at them to leave my dog alone, she might be friendly but she's never been around kids and her teeth ar sharp. Once, as I was running, this bus was dropping kids off and I SWEAR it stopped right next to me so the kids could see the Doberman puppy. All these kids got off and begged to pet her. My response was to snarl a NO and move to the other side of the street with a baleful glare at the idiotic bus driver. [Note: the stop was actually a half block ahead of me, at which point I'd planned to move across anyway.]

While pepper spray isn't a bad idea, I would never use it when out with my dog. The chances of Ari getting sprayed as well are pretty high, so I pretty much reserve the spray for bothersome humans when I'm out by myself.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
This was how my gsd Brando became dog aggressive, attacked twice severely as a 4 month old pup and as a 7 months old pup. I had to smash one of the of the dogs with rock on it's head. In that neighborhood I ended up walking with lemon water to squirt other dogs. Brando ended up being 110lbs. 110lbs of dog aggressive dog. Once when he was 1 1/2 this dog kept running out and trying to attack him. I kept telling the owner and nothing happened, it was a golden mix, big but nothing like Brando. Finally one day I let Brando go. He went at it and everyone came out of their houses and someone tried to hit Brando with a 2x4 I intervened got Brando off the other dog after he chased that dog back to it's front door, it never bothered him again. I said to the people who had come out of their houses, "I'm tried of telling people to leash their dogs around here, if they want to remain in one piece they better start doing it cuz I'm letting him go from now on if he is being bothered." That solved the problem at least for two mountain blocks. What is wrong with people? I so hear you. I am very good at hitting anything with a rock now. I practiced and practiced over the years. LOL. We live in a place now where most dogs are on leash or in fenced yards but still ya never know. In the forest I let my dogs run but I'm always looking out from those Brando years.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maggie got jumped by a an offlead little Jack Russel last year. She was like "what the hell is this little beast attacking me?!", and she almost took a bite out of him. The owners were in the yard cussing because I walked down the road with my dog on a leash. I told Maggie next time, he's yours unless I punt the crap out of him first.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts