Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to get another Dobe to add to the family for awhile now and decided I only wanted a rescue dog again like Takira was. I put in my application at DVDPA http://www.dvdpa.org last month for a possible rescue puppy if and when one came available. On Tuesday I got a call from Kathy at DVDPA saying that she had a 5 month old black and tan natural ear Dobe boy that needed a home, I was excited and after talking to my wife we decided to give the little guy a home. J

We made the 1.5 hour drive the very next day to meet Kathy and Lisa from DVDPA and to pick up Gauge (AKA Barney). He was a skinny little thing with a goofy clown like look and those big floppy ears that you just wanted to rub. He was with a foster home for about a week before I saw him who said that he was just about house broken and seemed to do very well with his other dog. I figured this was great and we loaded Gauge into the car and off we went for our 1.5 hour ride home. He was very good in the car and after a few minutes started to relax and stretch his long legs and BIG paws out.

I did a lot of reading and research on proper introductions before I even thought about adding a second dog to the family. Takira has always been very Dog friendly in public places and in OB training classes. She has never shown any aggression towards other dogs at all so I assumed with a proper introduction this would be easy……..BIG MISTAKE.

We decided to have the dogs meet in neutral territory. We started outside at a small park area near our home where both dogs were leashed and under control. This worked out fine, Takira and Gauge both did the sniffing thing to each other and then seemed to be just fine sitting next to one another very relaxed. Then we walked the dogs back to our home and went into the back yard to see how they got along there. Both dogs on leash were walked around the yard letting the new guy sniff around and check things out for awhile before we let them off leash. Everything seemed great they ran around and played chasing one another with no aggression at all. After they were well tired out I decided it was time to bring them inside and see how that goes.

I took Takira inside first and gave her a drink. I let her calm down and relax a few minutes before I brought Gauge in. I put Gauge on a leash and walked him into the house, this is when the fun begins. He wasn’t in the house 2 minutes before I started hearing low growls from Takira which is very odd because as I said she has never shown any aggression towards other dogs at all. I gave her a firm verbal “NO” correction and she quieted down for the moment. They sniffed around each other for a few minutes followed one another around exploring things and seemed to get along just fine, I thought everything was good. We sat down for a minute to relax and for no reason out of the blue Takira started growling and launched at Gauge grabbing him by the neck with her mouth and trying to roll him over. I quickly put a stop to that and again gave a verbal “NO” correction to Takira again. This time she wouldn’t stop the low breath growling, she was just staring at him growling working herself up. I am not sure what sparked this because when the first attack happened everyone was relaxed on the floor and there was no physical contact being made, maybe it was just a bad look or something. I ended up having to separate the two of them and put the crates in separate rooms of the house or Takira would not stop growling and barking. By that time it was late on Wed and I was pooped, I figured Thursday had to be better.

Like any new Doberdad I was up at 12pm, 3am and then again at 6am for potty breaks with the new puppy who I must say did great with the potty, no accidents. By 7am Takira was up for the day and I hoped that whatever was up her butt yesterday may have gotten better overnight, haha not a chance. By 9:30 am it was evident to me that I may have a problem here so I contacted Kathy at DVDPA to let her know what was going on with the new Pup and Takira. She offered me some advice and said lets play it by ear and that if things didn’t get any better by Friday we should probably arrange for the Pup to be returned to the rescue L I was bummed but I knew that I couldn’t continue like this and it certainly was not good for either dogs. All day Thursday it was like a war zone, if I didn’t keep the 2 dogs separated Takira would instantly attack. Not a friendly playful attack either, this was a foaming at the mouth growling I want to kill you attack. She was in the red zone like I have never seen her before, wouldn’t listen to any OB commands and seemed to be fixated on only one thing and that was getting that dog.

On Friday I knew this wasn’t going to work out after my 3 year old daughter who normally uses Takira as a pillow to watch TV with said to me that Takira was scaring her and she was afraid. After I heard that I had to make the call to Kathy and make arrangements to return Gauge to rescue. It would not be fair to anyone to try and make this work. I had to keep the dogs separated all day Friday and on Saturday morning we made the 1.5 hour trip again to return Gauge to rescue. Even though we only had Gauge 4 days my wife and daughter both cried when we had hand him over to Kathy again, funny how you can get attached so quickly. I hope that Gauge can find a new forever home with a family that can provide a great home for him.

I learned a valuable lesson from this situation and that is that you never know for sure 100% how your dog will react in a given situation. You always have to be 100% ready for whatever may happen when you are responsible for your dog. Based on previous experience I would have never thought Takira would act the way she did towards another dog. It makes me wonder if maybe one day there will be another situation where she will surprise me and catch me off guard with behavior that I would never expect. It will remind me to always be ready because animals can be unpredictable at times.

It’s Sat night now and Takira is back to her normal self it seems so hopefully this will be a lesson learned with no negative repercussions in the future. It is apparent that Takira needs to be an only dog and the Queen of her castle. J

I really want to thank Kathy and Lisa from DVDPA http://www.dvdpa.org for all their hard work they do for the Doberman breed. DVDPA. INC was started in 1989, and has rescued an average of 100 Dobermans each year in the PA, NJ, & Delaware region. You can support them by purchasing items from www.dobermanart.com

I posted 2 pictures of Gauge in the gallery but I have more in my camera that I will upload tomorrow.

TD

·
Registered
288 Posts
So Sorry but sometimes Thats how are babys are when They find the perfect family they don,t want to share.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I learned a valuable lesson from this situation and that is that you never know for sure 100% how your dog will react in a given situation. You always have to be 100% ready for whatever may happen when you are responsible for your dog.
Amen to that!

I'm very sorry things didn't work out between the two dogs but I'm sure Barney will find a good home. I know you had hoped that home would be your family and you gave it a good try but Takira had the final say. :) She's very lucky to have a dad who puts her needs(and the pup's needs!) before his own feelings.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Very well said DP.

I am also sorry that you weren't able to keep the pup! I know how bad you wanted one. But you are right Takira comes first, what her needs are you have met.

Will you atleast be able to get updates on the little guy?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
What a shame TD..... but I know that in the end all will work out for the little guy..... I guess you just never know what could happen or go through their heads. You did everything right that you could do to ensure that things would go well, and they didn't, so it just wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Some things just aren't meant to be, huh? Too bad, though. Two dobes can be such company for each other, but not at the cost of your first one being that upset. Maybe some day, or maybe just some other dog rather than Guage. There is a reason for everything.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm so sorry that Barney didn't work out. Takira's reaction reminds me an awful lot of Storm. She was very picky about what other animals were allowed in the house but was awesome with all dogs outside of "her" territory. We tried to rescue a 5 month old GSD pup in Germany and she did the exact same thing that Takira did with Barney. Those were probably the most stressful days of my life. But she was fine when we brought in Petri and Spike... I think dogs are a lot more like people than we give them credit for sometimes. Some personalities just don't mesh...

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
My deepest sympathys go out to you. I know how much you wanted this to work out. You are a good person to put everyones needs ahead of yours and make the hard decisions like that. I am sure you learned some valuable knowledge that you will be able to use the next time an opportunity comes around. You will have you 2 dobie household soon enough.

·
Registered
365 Posts
So sorry TD that things didn't go as planned. You made the right decision, even though it wasn't an easy one. Takira would have been quite stressed also, and you put her needs along with your family, first. I'm sure Barney will find his perfect home in the very near future. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Aw I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure the little guy will find a family soon enough. It was very thoughtful of you to welcome him into your home...so pat on the back for that! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts