Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like me and my wife wont be able to move out of our apartment for another 6-10 months and the apartment complex doesnt allow dobermans because they are "attack dog" Im not to convinced that this is heavily implemented because i have seen several pit bulls...but i just really dont want to take the chance and have to give him away...Me and my wife have also considered moving some place that allows them or do the logical thing and wait til we get a house. But of course we want one now lol :roflmao: Anyone else have the same problem?

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Your better off waiting. That way you will avoid having to give him away or stress yourself out by hiding him from your landlord.

Good things come to those that wait. Have you found a breeder?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I don't know where you live but if the complex doesn't like dobermans wait until your lease is up and look for a rental/or buy whatever is best for you. It's worth a nice yard to let them run in but there are several here that live in apartments with beautiful dobes........:) The right dobe will come your way. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i know we should wait...my wife isnt thrilled with the idea of having to wait but it def is the most logical decision...

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to hit thanks, but the reply button.

Explain the situation to your breeder. If they don't refund your money, then fate has offered you the chance to spend the next months researching a reputable breeder and spare yourself a whole bunch of other headaches in the future.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I waited like 5 years while I was young"er" and living in an apt. I was so happy when we got our house to be able to get a "big" dog again. I say, drop the lease contract and find a rental or buy and get your dog...it seems you'll be out money either way, if so you'll be happier with the doberman and the house lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
If your set with getting a pup from this breeder try talking to them and explain your situation. They may allow you to use your deposit on their next litter. Even if you have to wait it'll be worth it. I wouldn't bring in a pup if you know it's going to cause more problems with the landlord then needed. Anyway like everyone else said they do need a good size back yard.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Oh geez...I was in this situation last year. We lived in a very nice townhome, but my husband was going overseas and I was desperate to get a doberman. Dogs were allowed in the townhome, but not aggressive breeds so dobes were out. I decided that having a doberman was a priority so we found a very nice rental home with a fenced backyard. I had to move by myself (husband was gone at this point) with two young kids but it was completely worth it. The house we rent is owned by dog lovers so they were fine with us getting Gunner. Odds are that we will eventually buy this house too so hopefully no more moving. Do what is best for you and go with your gut :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I feel you, I was in your situation a while ago. I took over my dads apartment that he was staying in after remodeling his home so I didnt have to wait to move in. I asked them about 6 times if it was okay to have a Doberman and the lady said yes all 6 times. Lesson learned next time get it in writing because after I signed a year lease thinking was was allowed to get a Doberman they told me no.

Everything happens for a reason though because I had not found this site yet and I was about to get one from a backyard breeder that didn't health test their dogs and I would have been in heart heartache if something happened health related that could have been prevented.

Anyways 6 months go by and they are telling me that we have a month to move out or resign the lease o_O I was like huh? I looked at my lease and it said a year but I wasn't about to correct them. I was like heck yea, we found a place that was going to let us have a Doberman, so I started researching breeders and found one and put a deposit down.

This is when I found this site and they helped figure which breeders were the good ones and the bad ones, I got my deposit back and I was able to get a Doberman from a really ethical breeder that is behind me every step of the way.

I had to wait a year to get my Doberman and now I have Odin, he is 6 months and I wouldnt change anything on how things turned out. A lot of times the wait is well worth it. Trust me I am a dog person and a Doberman lover, year was agony but soooo worth it in the end ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts