Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to jump into things like I did with Jones, so I want to get all my ducks in a row before I get my next Dobe... I also don't want two pups at the same time, and Jonesy is now approaching his 1 and a half year mark... But I would like to get a second Dobe when Jonesy hits 2 years old if not a little older (Def in 2011 sometime)... Just doing a head of time reasearch so I can get to know the breeder and maybe even come check out some of her current litters...

So lets see if you all can help me with this... Jonesy is my little un-motivated butthead... (but I loves him :))
What I am looking for in my next Doberman is one that is of working lines...I'm not looking for a show dog by any means... Euro line would be nice but not necessary....
I am looking for this to be my first Schutzhund/ Personal Protection Trained Dobe... (What I wanted to do with Jonesy, but he had no desire to bite the sleeve)...

I am located in the Panhandle of Florida so traveling to neighboring states isn't a problem (within reason :win2k:)...

I know I have found and heard you guys talk about a bunch of breeders down here like Carosel (but she seems more geared towards Conformation than Sport)...

Anyone :please:

Also I am still looking for recommendations on a Shutzhund Club around the Panhandle I've found a few but wondering if anyone has any expirence or heard good things from a particular one....

You guys are the best:kiss:

Summer

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ivan Balabanov has a USA club in Florida. I'm not sure exactly where, but it would DEFINITELY be worth checking out. I'd make a long drive to train with him.

As far as possible breeders - you may have to look outside of surrounding states. You can always fly over and get your pup if you don't want to make a road trip. It never seems like the best dog for you is very close to you! ;)

You might check out some of these breeders. I'm not sure when they will be breeding again... (just do a google search and you should find them)

Bell'lavoro
Masaya
Beja
Pontiffhaus (don't know much about this one, but I hear they produce very good working dogs)
Swift Run
Aldercrest
Wustensturm
Caliente (no website, but they do have some youtube videos)
Incredible
Landgraf
van Layne
Rebholzer

I'm sure there are several others out there that I've forgotten, but its a good start. ;)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I can't comment on quality of working breeders since it is out of my realm. But I will say don't hesitate to look for breeders in other states if they have THE DOG for you. I would probably look closer at first, but would not hesitate to search across the US for the right dog.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is actually one of the guys I was looking at... Had a nice flashy website but I worry about those sometimes.... He is about 8 hours away is the only sad part, and traveling down there during the week would be hard (almost impossible... well if I wanted to have any form of sleep it would be lol)

Ivan Balabanov has a USA club in Florida. I'm not sure exactly where, but it would DEFINITELY be worth checking out. I'd make a long drive to train with him.

·
Registered
633 Posts
He is actually one of the guys I was looking at... Had a nice flashy website but I worry about those sometimes.... He is about 8 hours away is the only sad part, and traveling down there during the week would be hard (almost impossible... well if I wanted to have any form of sleep it would be lol)
Personally, if I could train with him, I would. Even a once or twice a month trip would be great! In my opinion he is one of the greatest trainers. My two favs are Michael Ellis and Ivan Balabanov. He is a very positive trainer and the dogs he competes with proves how good he is, in my opinion.

For example - YouTube - Qenny Ot Vitosha FCI 2007 Obedience4

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I would travel down there every weekend, I do love to drive, but being a fairly new person to the sport I thought it took a lot of dedication and being there at least 2-3 times a week and then the weekend.... I will have to call him and shoot him a few e-mails...

:kiss:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
He also has some great training tapes. He is awesome and any time you could spend with him would be very valuable.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Oh I would travel down there every weekend, I do love to drive, but being a fairly new person to the sport I thought it took a lot of dedication and being there at least 2-3 times a week and then the weekend.... I will have to call him and shoot him a few e-mails...

:kiss:

Oh, it definitely does take a lot of dedication. What I would do is join a club closer to you that you could train with during the week, then visit Balabanov's club when you could. I'm not sure what the other clubs around you are like, or how much dues are, so that may be a little too expensive. I know some clubs have a "visitor" type membership where you don't have to pay full dues since you won't be there as much. It's something to look into. :)

I'd definitely go check out some of the clubs closer to you. Go watch them train and see if you get a good vibe. Make sure they're okay with working a different breed (some are pretty closed minded, but definitely not all). Then just pick the one you mesh with the best and that train in a way you would be comfortable with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts