Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a doberman puppy somewhere around Charlotte or even Winston Salem NC, and anywhere in between. This breed dog is what my husband is set on so I've been doing my research, and now it's time to find a puppy.

This is what we want out of a doberman- I want a red female pup, she will be a giant lap dog :D. We have a 17 month old daughter, so this dog will be a family pet. My husband wants to put her through some personal protection for our home. We have a rat terrier as well, although I'm not too sure that actually matters. She will not be for show, or breeding or anything of that sort.

I've found one place in salisbury, but I'm thinking it's a dobe puppy mill. Please tell me this place isn't :: Lucky Puppy Kennel :: Salisbury, NC :: 704.224.3654 :: They will have a litter this month, and will be ready to go early March.

I've thought about a rescue but they don't get alot of puppies. I have to have a puppy. My mother lives close by and see her daily, she is terrified of dogs she does not know, that have not be raised around her. And I would rather the dog and our kid to kinda grow up together.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome from TX and thank you for doing your research early!

That is not a breeder that I would purchase a puppy from. There is little to no information about the parents, nothing about health testing, the dog's don't look conformationally correct, and you can purchase the puppies through the internet. Eww

Some members here will know of reputable breeders in your area and I'd wait for a puppy from one of them. If you're serious about having a dog trained in personal protection (why do you want that, anyways?) you'll want a puppy from a reputable breeder with good lines and a dependable temperament.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from TX and thank you for doing your research early!

That is not a breeder that I would purchase a puppy from. There is little to no information about the parents, nothing about health testing, the dog's don't look conformationally correct, and you can purchase the puppies through the internet. Eww

Some members here will know of reputable breeders in your area and I'd wait for a puppy from one of them. If you're serious about having a dog trained in personal protection (why do you want that, anyways?) you'll want a puppy from a reputable breeder with good lines and a dependable temperament.
I am a stay at home mom, just something else in case something ever happened I would have a few extra minutes to get our gun safe. Someone breaks in on our back door then I need time to get to my daughter to protect her. IDK, it just makes him feel better.. Hope that makes sense?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I am a stay at home mom, just something else in case something ever happened I would have a few extra minutes to get our gun safe. Someone breaks in on our back door then I need time to get to my daughter to protect her. IDK, it just makes him feel better.. Hope that makes sense?
That logic makes sense and a lot of people look for that when they start looking for a doberman. Please keep in mind that a protection trained dog will raise your insurance (and some companies won't carry you if you have a protection trained dog, some won't carry you simply for having a doberman). Any large breed dog with a bark will deter most break-ins and if they don't then the person breaking in is probably prepared to take care of the dog. Plus, the doberman breed is naturally protective.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I agree with what has been said about protection training, and remember that it's really serious work, and not easy fun like other obedience training. Training, and maintaining the training on a protection dog is like starting a second job.

Dobermans are intimidating, and any Doberman (especially one that can simply bark on command) will help you feel safer.

Have you talked to breeders about the age of your daughter? Most breeders won't consider homes with young children, and this might cause a lot of problems for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That logic makes sense and a lot of people look for that when they start looking for a doberman. Please keep in mind that a protection trained dog will raise your insurance (and some companies won't carry you if you have a protection trained dog, some won't carry you simply for having a doberman).
WOW! Guess I didn't do enough research, I NEVER knew that! Thanks!!!

And just curious, why wont some breeders let you have one with a small child?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm looking for a doberman puppy somewhere around Charlotte or even Winston Salem NC, and anywhere in between. This breed dog is what my husband is set on so I've been doing my research, and now it's time to find a puppy.

This is what we want out of a doberman- I want a red female pup, she will be a giant lap dog :D. We have a 17 month old daughter, so this dog will be a family pet. My husband wants to put her through some personal protection for our home. We have a rat terrier as well, although I'm not too sure that actually matters. She will not be for show, or breeding or anything of that sort.

I've found one place in salisbury, but I'm thinking it's a dobe puppy mill. Please tell me this place isn't :: Lucky Puppy Kennel :: Salisbury, NC :: 704.224.3654 :: They will have a litter this month, and will be ready to go early March.

I've thought about a rescue but they don't get alot of puppies. I have to have a puppy. My mother lives close by and see her daily, she is terrified of dogs she does not know, that have not be raised around her. And I would rather the dog and our kid to kinda grow up together.
Gold Grove Dobermans | Puppies
good place to get a good puppy, beautiful dogs.
Lap dog.... i pray you are joking.
Hubby wants PP dog... :roflmao: I hope you do lots of research and approach this responsibly. Obediance comes way before protection training. I hope you are well trained and confident handlers as well before you teach a dog how to effectively win a fight against a human, espeicailly with a little girl around. it all sounds like a disaster to me just the way you said it, "My husband wants to put her through some personal protection for our home." Like what, send it off to day care for a week and now its a PP dog? lol. Please Please do some more research. A doberman is enough of a deterrant for the normal home owner. Let hubby hold the leash when she goes into fight at only 25 lbs and see if he thinks he needs to get the dog training on attack.
Please stay away from back yard breeders, you will pay in vet bills and its bad for the breed.
Please have your act together when you call a reputable breeder for a puppy, they wont sell to just anyone, lots of great info on this site.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome to DT! This is a great place to find tons of information for a new Doberman owner :)

I'm going to echo what the others have said that a Doberman doesn't necessarily need to be protection trained to be an effective deterrent. My Doberman was exceptionally sweet and well mannered, but people would still avoid me at all costs on walks. He also had an intimidating bark that frightened most everyone that came to the door. Protection training is very serious and needs to be maintained throughout the dogs life, preferably by the owners since you will be giving the commands.

Gold grove is a reputable breeder and a great suggestion. These are some other breeders from the DPCA breeder referral list:
DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral
This is a good place to start, but not all the breeders on this list are reputable so you will have to do your own research. I agree with Patchwork that the breeder you linked to is not one I would ever purchase from.

Dobermans are not the healthiest breed and finding a breeder that does all the necessary health testing is important if you want the best chance at a health, happy dog.
Some health information:
DPCA | The Doberman | Health

Good luck finding your little red female! Ask as many questions as you can think of, as there are lots of DT members with years of experience in the breed that would be happy to help out!

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
And just curious, why wont some breeders let you have one with a small child?
Because Doberman puppies have teeth like needles and they are boisterous and rambunctious and don't realize their own body size which grows quickly, way faster than the child. They WILL unintentionally knock a child over probably more than once, there will be scratches, there will be mouthing - all normal puppy things but things that can get out of control quickly. And it seems there is always at least one parent or grandparent (and you know who this one already is) who is going to be extremely vocal about that guilty, killer Doberman and innocent, defenseless child.

It's just very, very common that the first time the child gets (unintentionally) hurt by the puppy, the puppy finds itself homeless.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I do not know much about protection training and what it entails during the training but my puppy who is now 8 months does job for me. He does not have this protection training but he is definitely protective of his house and when ever someone comes to house or knocks he is barking up storm and the pizza guy sure didn't want to come in screen door at my house lol then as soon as I tell him it's okay he stops and will greet the person but it is not until I tell him it's ok that he stops barking... He makes me feel safe hen I'm home alone. Wait... I take that back. Even if I'm not home alone lol my pup will scare someone more than my boyfriend will lol

Anyways can't wait to see your baby in the future!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
You have received a lot of good information here, thus I will only comment on the Protection Training. I have had Dobermans since 1968 and have never needed to or had any of them Protection trained. They have all been well socialized, well-behaved, friendly dogs, good with kids, people and other animals. They have also all been NA show lines, not bred to work, but rather bred to be conformationally correct and good family companions.

However, not a single one of them would let anybody in the house uninvited and this includes my current boy. I can assure you, if somebody tried to come in my back door right now, they would be met with a big black furiously barking Doberman, flashing all 42 of his teeth. Would he bite? I honestly can't say, but I can say there are very few bad guys out there that are willing to find out. Those bad guys that are truly serious will shoot the dog and protection training will not change the outcome.

My well socialized, friendly, show dog will buy me more than enough time to dial 911.

I wish you luck in your puppy search and like everybody else, can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You have received a lot of good information here, thus I will only comment on the Protection Training. I have had Dobermans since 1968 and have never needed to or had any of them Protection trained. They have all been well socialized, well-behaved, friendly dogs, good with kids, people and other animals. They have also all been NA show lines, not bred to work, but rather bred to be conformationally correct and good family companions.

However, not a single one of them would let anybody in the house uninvited and this includes my current boy. I can assure you, if somebody tried to come in my back door right now, they would be met with a big black furiously barking Doberman, flashing all 42 of his teeth. Would he bite? I honestly can't say, but I can say there are very few bad guys out there that are willing to find out. Those bad guys that are truly serious will shoot the dog and protection training will not change the outcome.

My well socialized, friendly, show dog will buy me more than enough time to dial 911.

I wish you luck in your puppy search and like everybody else, can't wait to see pictures!

I beleive this is correct. Unless you are running a k9 unit and in pursuit, a protection level dog is not going to change someone getting in if they really want to. A professional burglar can handle any dog, a non professional would move on. Especially if he was smart, cause the doberman isnt my only line of defense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, first off, let me welcome you to the wonderful world of Doberman puppies! These dogs can be one of the greatest decisions you ever choose to make! I wish you the best in your search, and hope you find what are looking for.

In response to the personal protection training, I can understand why you would want this, being a single mother with a young child, but you need to really give that some more thought.

I'm a local police officer in NC, and I have had a good deal of interaction with K9's and personal protection training. It is A LOT of hard, tedious work, that to be quite honest, will get old very fast. As said earlier, it's no where near as fun as obedience and general training. Also, Doberman's are in fact a very territorial breed. If you are just looking for something to fend off intruders, then you need absolutely no extra training for that. Any dog, not just dobermans, are going to protect their familiy.

Also, it is a lot of upkeep on personal protection training. You have to constantly work and train with the dog. The dog won't forget what it is supposed to do, but it may not do them on command. This includes the "release" command. Which is one of the most important commands in my book. Especially if you're the one on the receiving end of the dogs aggression!

But do not by any means let any of this dicourage you from adding to your family. A Doberman is one of the best additions I have ever made, and I would not change it for the world. Also, if personal protection is something you're really interested in, I say go for it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone for such quick responses!! I called Gold Grove and HOLY MOLEY!!! $2500 for the dog! I think I will be saving up for awhile to get a dobe... Eventually there will be one in this home..

We were originally looking for a belgian malinois, and somehow things fell into place today. We called a very well known K9 trainer in Mooresville, and he had one. We went and met the pup, and it was instant love at first site. He has been amazing with our daughter. So for now he is enough..

But one day there will be a little red dobe running loose in this house :D

But I just wanted to say, Thank you, again for all the help. I would rather pay for a good dog, that comes from good blood lines, and we know there is less chance of something happening, and the dog having a shorter life span. So again thanks!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Listen to Patchwork. I do believe all of those statements are completely true. And the fact if someone just sees a DOBERMAN, for god's sake, the KILLER dog, you know!?

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Congrats on your new pup! Hope you post photos. BTW, the breed of pup you have chosen requires just as much intensive training as a Doberman in order to be a well-balanced, well-socialized, manageable and mannerly adult. Start training ASAP! Just out of curiosity, was the Mal puppy a lot cheaper? I know quite a few people in the breed and the well-bred pups I have seen are about the same price as well-bred Dobermans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts