Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would join this discussion. I'm new here. My family breeds GSDs; however, I'm the only one really into dogs enough to train or show if that was even a possibility...which is not here in Suriname. I am looking for a Doberman as my next dog...the first dog to be officially mine, not just raised, trained, and bred by me. I'm looking for a dog that would do well in the biting/protection sports. However, I still prefer the NA and SA looking Dobes; do you guys have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,769 Posts
Rosa, since you're in South America, your case is a little different from our typical puppy-hunting people.

Are you wedded to the idea of a doberman? I mean, how important is it to you to have a competitive working sport dog vs having a dobe in particular for other reasons too? The main reason I am asking is because I don't know what bite sport breeds are more common in South America--if competition is your main goal, and dobes are harder to find that some of the other breed possibilities, you may want to look at some of them too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rosa, since you're in South America, your case is a little different from the problems the OP faces. How about starting another thread so we can try to give you more specific advice for your situation.

Are you wedded to the idea of a doberman? I mean, how important is it to you to have a competitive working sport dog vs having a dobe in particular for other reasons too? The main reason I am asking is because I don't know what bite sport breeds are more common in South America--if competition is your main goal, and dobes are harder to find that some of the other breed possibilities, you may want to look at some of them too.
I am very particular about getting the Doberman. Not that I'm against getting another breed, but I've been wanting a Doberman for four years now. I have spent hours researching dog breeds before settling on the Doberman. Dobes are quite prevalent in South America. There are quite a few kennels in both Brazil and Argentina. I want the Doberman, but I also want a dog capable of doing the working sports. Our GSDs are, fortunately for my family, mainly show lines with working line sprinkled in there; they don't have quite the drive a full working line dog would have. There is IGP at least in Brazil. I have two breeders I'm in contact with there in Brazil that do IGP...one has an IGP3 female. Other than that, I would go for a hard core working line GSD, or maybe, maybe, a Malinois.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
It has always been my dream to show and title my own dog since childhood. At ten, I got into the police/military style appearance, but I knew very little. There was no one else who supported or helped me with training. I have learned everything through trial and error. Finally, I seem to be breaking out of the darkness and making some success with obedience training with our young pups (6 months and 15 wks). I am wondering where I should look for the best Doberman for protection/biting sports; are the SA Dobes capable of doing that kind of work...I do prefer their look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I did start another thread...but I thought I would clarify; I'm headed for Brazil next year. I'll finish high school and plan on heading to Brazil. I really don't want to be without a dog though. However, dog comes first...so I'll make sure I have adequate time and space for the dog.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,769 Posts
Sorry about cross posting--I'll check out what you've already posted and clean up my mess. Stay tuned......

OK, I just combined threads for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about cross posting--I'll check out what you've already posted and clean it up. Stay tuned......
Thank you!! Yeah...I'm American, but I was born and raised in Suriname...however, many say I'm Brazilian at heart...so it is different.

·
Big Lil pup
6,595 Posts
Hi Rosalinda. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

Brazil huh? My father is an American who was raised in Brazil beginning at the age of 2 months. His 5 brothers and sisters were all born there, but his parents happened to be back in the US when he was born. Today, at 94 years old, he is the last of his "Brazilian" family.

In any case... Sorry, I can't help you in your search, as all of my recent Dobes have been from an American show line breeder.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
It would be difficult to find a "North American" Doberman line that could do well in bite sports. I thought many SA lines derived from North American show lines, so also would be unlikely to have the genetics to do well in bite sports where they are required to handle pressure and show aggression..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Rosalinda. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

Brazil huh? My father is an American who was raised in Brazil beginning at the age of 2 months. His 5 brothers and sisters were all born there, but his parents happened to be back in the US when he was born. Today, at 94 years old, he is the last of his "Brazilian" family.

In any case... Sorry, I can't help you in your search, as all of my recent Dobes have been from an American show line breeder.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
I do havê family in Brazil, but my dad, his two brothers, and both sets of grandparents worked here in Suriname. So, it is somewhat a joke that I ended up heading for Brazil. I have seen a few SA Dobes that have done protection work, and I have gotten the opinions of some owners. However, a solid working line Doberman would probably end up more likely to work in that area. Now, advice that I had been given said that I should try to get my first Doberman little less drivey than the working line would be. I think you would find the SA Dobe is derived from both Euro and NA lines, but they have been, sadly, used almost totally in non-protection shows. But I have seen quite a few Euros who show in Brazil under what would be the AKC standards in conformation but also do protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts