Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is searching for an intelligent, confident, social, and highly driven young dog to take over household duties (fetching newspaper, carting garden supplies, etc.), pet therapy, and protection (would be my first French Ring dog) in a multi-CGC household with frequent canine, human, and equine visitors. I'm specifically looking for a breeder with as much longevity info as possible on a 5-generation pedigree, and also one who pays attention to conformation. I've been thinking about Masaya...not sure exactly what they, and other breeders, look for in potential families though. This would be our first purebred (parents used to support BYB's, then I came along and started rescuing mutts), as well as my family's first attempt at purely positive training until maturity, and I would really rather not risk someone slipping up and reprimanding a pup during his fear period. Although our current pets do have jobs (therapy, hunting, tracking, household doggie chores, etc.), I am just starting to train my first sport dog (obedience).

Since this would be an active pet rather than a dedicated conformation or performance prospect, I'm first looking for shelter mutts. But most of the dogs I've tested just aren't enough dog - while unfortunately being far too much to appeal to most families. Despite the therapy work, I'm hesitant to pursue ring sport with a "pit bull" for fear of worsening an already slashed image, and so this cuts my pool of adoptees down by more than half. I've selected plenty of excellent therapy dogs from the shelter, but if anyone has tips on selecting a considerably more drivey sort of working mutt, please chime in!

:thanx: for any info/advice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely would give Masaya a call. Also, von Moeller Hof von Moeller Hof - About Us
Oh! Yes, I remember visiting that site and thinking that someone who went from no trialing experience to UDC nationals might be more open to placing a dog with us! And she's a member of Working Dobermans of the Carolinas!! Hopefully not too far then. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts