Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Jaeger's ear is still not standing like it should. I have been to several vets who all do not have a clue about cropped ears, very frustrating. So next step is looking into stringing. I live in Georgia but would be willing to travel to an expert. Any suggestions?? Also if you have had your puppy's ears strung please let me know if you were happy with the results and how your pup did.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
How old is your pup? Some take up to a year or more to stand depending on the length.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jaeger is alittle over 7 months but we stopped posting about a month ago due to sores that developed in his ears. They did fine for awhile. Can't post due to sores coming back.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Jaeger is alittle over 7 months but we stopped posting about a month ago due to sores that developed in his ears. They did fine for awhile. Can't post due to sores coming back.
7 months is way too young to string ears. If you have sores you are either posting incorrectly or with the wrong materials.

I would suggest you go to the DPCA list and find a DPCA member close to you that can advise you or better yet call your breeder and she will get you a referral and some help.

You need to do it ASAP before the unposted ears are damaged permanently.

Is this one of Pam's dogs??

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
You should definitely contact your breeder before going so far as to put your pup through surgery, even if he were old enough to try this.

If you've decided you NEED to contact a vet, that DT's experience won't do, this would be the place to go. If I were in Georgia, I doubt I'd let anyone else near my puppies ears

Edit- I'm not saying she does this procedure, but I'd think she would be the one to talk to while you're thinking about it

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If you've decided you NEED to contact a vet, that DT's experience won't do, this would be the place to go. If I were in Georgia, I doubt I'd let anyone else near my puppies ears

Edit- I'm not saying she does this procedure, but I'd think she would be the one to talk to while you're thinking about it
This vet died a few months ago. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Einstein had a reaction to the tape we used once. He had raw spots all along the inside of his ears. We let them down for vot two days and put neosporin on them, they have been right since.

Have you tried using a different tape?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent pictures to Pam this morning and we are going to try to tape just at the base of the ears and see if that works. The problem I was having and the reason he developed the sores was due to poor taping techniques by the vets I was going to. They would post them and in a matter of hours he would have them popped out. This isn't an excuse since it is what it is. Either way I will try to see if this works and if it doesn't he still will be my spoiled big baby. He is on his second class, two more and he will be an AKC Good Citizen :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I sent pictures to Pam this morning and we are going to try to tape just at the base of the ears and see if that works. The problem I was having and the reason he developed the sores was due to poor taping techniques by the vets I was going to. They would post them and in a matter of hours he would have them popped out. This isn't an excuse since it is what it is. Either way I will try to see if this works and if it doesn't he still will be my spoiled big baby. He is on his second class, two more and he will be an AKC Good Citizen :)
I have a female that turned one in Feb, with one flopped ear. She developed an infection in it after her ears got wet. I took them down immediately when they got wet and let them air out overnight then took her back to the vet in the morning to get retaped. She developed the infection and had to have the ear untaped for ten days. Once the infection was clear we began retaping and did so until both were standing. When we had her spayed, for what ever reason she lost the ability to hold her left ear up. I began retaping until she was over 9 months old but she was constantly irritated by the tape. After consulting with the vet he said it appeared she had a weak spot in her ear, which is why it did not stand. Her "good" ear is even a little loose, not at all like my older dog who has 2 very good standing ears and you can feel a difference in the cartilage. The vet thinks possibly because her ears were so large and soft when cropped, and that while growing more of her calcium went to bones than her ears. I never considered stringing her ears or any other corrective surgery. I would love to have two correctly standing ears but I cannot put her through it when she is a pet and will never show. She has a sweet face and her one ear only gives her a more goofy characteristic. I think if you cant get the ear to stand you should just let it be, and not go through an unnecessary surgery, but that is just my opinion on the matter. I know its the breed standard and I know alot of people probably think I should have gone longer than I did but with the fact she is weak and would get sore ears I felt it wasnt worth the pain and irritation she was gong through to keep going for vanitys sake.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
So, what did your breeder say?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts