Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello DT,

As I have been reading for the past few years, finding the correct breeder for your family and situation is a lot of hard work. I would be remiss if I didn't recognize the incredible amount of passion, experience, and knowledge on this forum. I am going to describe my current situation in hope that a Florida Breeder/s can be recommended.

I am 25 and my wife 28. She is a Pharmacist and myself a Financial Advisor. We live in Estero, Florida. We own a home and medium sized, non fenced, backyard. The development that we live in is VERY large dog friendly and they have several miles of walking paths. We are looking to purchase a doberman in as little as 3 months, up to whenever the right litter becomes available.

If someone could help steer me in the right direction as to where to look it would be very much appreciated. I have already looked at the list of Breeders from the DPCA, however, the list is pretty long and I don't really know what would be the best way for someone to open dialogue with the breeders.

The reason that I am hoping for some guidance is because I look at purchasing a Doberman the same as anything else that I purchase in life, in that I learn as much as I can about the decision then enlist the help of someone who knows much more than myself and trust their judgement. This has been a very successful strategy thus far. Obviously, I understand the differences between buying a piece of equipment and a live doberman. This makes it even easier to feel the need to get help from the people on here who knows these dogs better than myself.

I hope this message finds everyone well during this Easter Weekend and look forward to reading responses.

If anyone would feel that a Private Message would be more comfortable for them, please feel free.

Cheers!

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Welcome! Would you consider adding a fence to your yard? Or a run?

I like some of the dogs from Holly Woods Dobermans in FL. Carousel I believe is another popular one. It might help to get out to some events as well. There are a lot of great private breedings that may not always be put on a breeder's website.

The DPCA list you are using is in my opinion the best starting point. I do see that it lists a lot of breeders for Florida. Bear in mind it is a paid listing, so you'll want to do research into any breeders on there still. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Would you consider adding a fence to your yard? Or a run? Carousel I believe is another popular one. Good luck on your search!
Thanks for your reply. I would consider it. Do you think that this is a "MAKE or BREAK" decision, or something that would just put the breeder in a more relaxed state of mind about the future of their doberman?

I am looking into Carosel Doberman.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
I think it really just depends on the breeder. Generally it's my observation that having some type of fence works in your favor, but I think it really just depends.

Reactions: Razfyn

·
Registered
223 Posts
Having a fence is going to make your life a whole lot easier regardless of what a breeder thinks. Long walks are great but sometimes being able to open the backdoor and let your pup out for a quick pee while you're drinking coffee or brushing your teeth is priceless. Moreover, it prevents access to your property from other animals. This is particularly reassuring when you first bring the puppy home and it doesn't yet have all its vaccinations.

·
Super Moderator
21,300 Posts
For a lot of breeders, not having a fence will take you off their list. So I would definitely fence your yard if that's an option. I also personally would never do a dog with no fence again. We did it for a year with a puppy and I hated it!

I'll let others chime in on recommended breeders.

·
Got mutt?
13,653 Posts
I'll second that it's a pain to not have a fenced yard. We had our Done mix, Gin, in an apartment, and bought the house we are now in because it was a pain to walk her every day. After Gin died, we had a hurricane take out our fence, and it was a very loooong nine months before we got a new one installed. Lucky, my Rattie, had to be either taken out on a leash or tied out on a cable. Not fun for either of us. Both of them were adults. I wouldn't want to think about what it would be like with a baby puppy.

Reactions: Razfyn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all. I very much appreciate the information on the fence. Seems like that will have to happen, and so it will.

Would still really like to get some recommendations on breeders, especially from people who know the breeders in Florida!

I have sent out several emails to breeders that I liked initially and asked them to call me and so I could get a better understanding of their process and learn more about them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts