Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking for the perfect Doberman for US and we thought the members of this forum might be able to suggest some breeders for us to look into. Please allow me to tell you a bit about myself and my wife so that you can determine which breeders to recommend.

I have owned Dobermans before. In the mid 1970's I rescued a alleged "Warlock" Doberman. He had been found beneath the feet of his master who had hanged himself. Sonny clawed his way through a hollow core door to get to his master and would not let anyone near the body. The owner’s ex wife and daughter were terrified of Sonny so I took him. He was my first Doberman and he became my best friend.

When Sonny died at the age of 11 I was too disturbed to get another dog immediately. I married about two years later and my wife and I bought a dog from Mary Rogers. Zack was a wonderful animal with a terrific temperament. He was a huge hit at the dog park and never met anyone or anything he didn't like. The last two years of his life he wore a pair of human cervical collars to support his neck after gold bead implantation therapy for wobblers but he chased his ball until the end. When he passed we scattered his ashes in his favorite park and planted a tree in his memory. Once again we mourned.

In 2001 we opened a retail store and although we knew the true nature of Dobermans we felt it would be off putting to bring a Doberman into the store on a daily basis. We now have a Scottish Deerhound which is about as far from a Dobie as you can get. We love her but she's just not a Dobie. Cadie is 10 years old now and has outlived a number of her littermates. We know we will have to face her loss in the not too distant future and we understand that it will take a while to find the right dog.

We live in Birmingham, AL and have a fenced yard. The dog will accompany us on morning and evening walks and will be taken to a dog park for socialization and will be introduced to all of our neighbors and our neighbor’s children. Cadie, the deerhound, is the hit of the neighborhood sometimes surrounded by a half a dozen young children so temperament is of utmost importance. The dog will be a house dog (yes, I admit our dog sleeps on our bed) and will have company almost 24/7 as I am retired. He will be obedience and crate trained and used as a therapy dog in the local Hand and Paws program. The dog will not be shown nor bred so show quality is definitely secondary to personality although we do prefer the European type.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Ed and Randi

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Not sure if you've done so already, but you could begin your search for a breeder by checking the Breeder's Directory on the DPCA website. Here's a link for that site: DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

Jan

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Nancy Young of Dillon Dobermans is probably your very best choice in Alabama - she is listed on the DPCA breeders list. She does not breed very often.

Reactions: hjgrl

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri

If you are wanting the european type then I would check out the United Dboerman Club web site. I am not familiar with a good Euro breeder in Alabama but if you are open to a really nice NA dobe - you can check with Pamalot Dobermans - Pam is in Atlanta, GA and has very nice dogs.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't have any info on breeders in your area, but I just wanted to say welcome from Illinois! And good luck in your search for your future beloved dobe :)

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
A heads-up about the DPCA's breeder referral list. Not every breeder listed there is ethical, and not all ethical Dobe breeders are included on that list. The list is a good place to start, but you still need to research any breeder you consider. Also, there are ethical breeders on the list who have retired from breeding dogs.

If you're willing to look outside Alabama, in North Carolina there are:
Gold Grove and ADAMAS. Both have produced Dobes with titles at both ends.

in Arkansas: Promise/Olympia. DT username is jdd.

in Missouri: Old Drum. DT username is OldDrumDobes.

Their names escape me at the moment, but I think there are also two good breeders in Mississippi who may or may not be on the DPCA list.

The rescue group I volunteer for has a black male Dobe who loves all other dogs, (including males!), loves children, is well-behaved in the home, and may get along with dog-savvy cats. He is a full-brother (from a repeat breeding) to a Dobe that competed in Agility at the 2008 DPCA National. People who knew that brother say he and our boy are very similar. Although we primarily place our Dobes in Texas homes, long-distance adoptions are possible. Hint, hint! ;)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
If you are looking for a dog park dog you'll probably have better luck with a female unless you pick an adult male rescue whose temperament is already known with other dogs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to thank everyone who has replied so far. I think we did the right thing by seeking your advice. Our Marienburg dog was shipped to us by Mary when we lived in New Orleans so the breeder need not be local. I appreciate the information on the rescue dog and would be interested if our Deerhound was younger but we think a newbie with energy would be too taxing for her at 10. I found the information on the DCA breeder's list very helpful. I will take the input on the dog park under advisement but Zack was an unneutered male with a great disposition and I'm looking for a breeder who breeds intelligent dogs with good temprements. We will socialize this dog from the get go as we feel a well adjusted dog needs more than just human companionship.
Thanks for the warm welcome to the group and we look forward to learning more from you.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT. Would love to see pics of Cadie!
Yes! Yes we would. And welcome, from Texas. I'd also suggest a female if you want to take the dog to dog parks as males of this breed can be iffy (or just down-right nasty) towards other males.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Because you asked...This is NOT the deerhound that won Westminster..for sure.
You'd be more interested in a photo of Zack but that's pre digital and I'll have to see what I can do.
e
Awe don't sell Cadie short! She is absolutely beautiful <3 We may be Doberman addicts but we love all dogs here :]

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Gorgeous girl! Love hounds :D Good luck finding your next Dober

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I got my girl from ADAMAS in Georgia. Love her. And as far as intelligence, 5 in her litter have performance titles and 5 in her dam's litter did too. She breeds versatile dogs for conformation, performance, health etc too. She might also be able to refer you to closer breeders to you too.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Censored
716 Posts
I just wanted to say "hi" to the OP and welcome to DT from Israel. Your story is very touching, you and yours sound like great dog people :) The kind of people I like! If location isn't an issue, I would recommend Foxfire Dobermans. I think a litter is expected in the early spring... not sure when you're looking to get a puppy but I personally love the look and temperament of her dobes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well hello to you in Isreal-
I'm expecting a package from Tel Aviv this week from friends of mine at Aqua Gallery. If you're not familiar with them check out their work. I'll be sure to look at Foxfire.
e

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why don't you contact Mary Rodgers

perhaps she has some puppies.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
From a fellow Alabamian........I sent you an email.

ETA: Since you are in Alabama I do want to say please steer clear of the breeders listed on the AKC list, such as Leggard. In AL the only ethical breeder is Nancy of Dillon Dobermans and she isn't too far from you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts