Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine is looking into getting a dobie and was wondering what tests a breeder should have done to ensure that the male and female are both healthy prior to breeding? I had a few suggestions but thought that posting the ? on here would generate better results.

Thanks in advance

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
Lexus said:
If you go on the OFA site www.offa.org , and you are able to enter the parents names then it will show all the health testing they have received.
That's not exactly accurate. When one sends in radiographs for hips and elbows, for example, they have the option of asking for only normal results to be released to the public through the database. You could do a search for Glengate's Wishful Thinking, one of my dogs, for eg., and you wouldn't find her elbow results although they were evaluated. You would get her hips and CERF results. Apparently, at the time, I asked for abnormal results not to be released and she has one elbow that was rated with grade I degenerative joint disease. I posted that result on my website along with all my other health testing, never really hid the fact, but it's not in the OFA database.

There are also optional things you can submit to the database *for a fee*. You can submit the results of abnormal dogs for free - eg. you can submit vWD DNA affected results, but a lot of people wouldn't. So there again, the testing is done but you may not find it in the OFA database. You have to pay $15 to submit vWD DNA carrier and clear results. Most people just won't so again the testing is done but not there. Thyroid - they will enter abnormal results for no charge but people may have not authorized the release of the abnormal results so they won't be there for public viewing.

The OFA database is helpful, to a point. It should be used in addition to asking a breeder what is done and then asking to see the certificates and clearances.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
Also, things like the type of cardiac testing that Dobermans should have will not be in the OFA database.

And, some people choose to use the PennHip method of testing hips - that wouldn't be in the OFA database. A lot of breeders in my area have theirs done at the Ontario Veterinary College. Anyway, there are a lot of health test results that people may have that won't be in the OFA database.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts