Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Looking for SoCal apartments that do not have breed restrictions

10K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  odiakkoh 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know of any? I am moving to SoCal around november and I am looking for an apartment that doesn't have breed restrictions against our "aggressive breed." I plan on living in between LA and Irvine.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

#2 ·
Good Luck! I was offered a job in LA last fall and this is one of the reasons I did not take it....I was afraid I would not be able to find a place with 2 dobermans. Look for a private owned building and you could offer a larger pet deposit. I would also show any obedience training certificates and references. If possible have your dog meet the owner.:)

#3 ·
As someone who just signed a lease with a Dobe and 3 other dogs (2 of which are also restricted breeds) I can assure you your best bet is to rent from a private owner. Start calling asap! Craigslist is a great avenue for finding a flexible landlord. There are a lot of Nigerian scams to ignore, some people who will say no, but many who will say yes. Believe me, no potential landlord was thrilled to hear about 4 big dogs- lol - but explain how you keep your dog, clean up waste daily, do not leave him/her out to bark and be ready to carry a hefty renters insurance policy on the dog. It's not the best economy, people just want a responsible tenant. Be diligent- it should be pretty simple to find housing with one Dobe, if you're willing to pay higher rent for a house instead if an apt. Good luck!

#6 ·
Some people may own just rent houses, some one or more small apartment complexes, and some own both. Some rent houses are actually duplexes, with an upstairs and a downstairs aprtment. Look into smaller apartment complexes, as they are more likely to be owned by an individual. We lived in apartments owned by a guy who had like a dozen complexes (none more than about 50 units each) and maybe half a dozen rent houses. We had 8 cats, a 75 pound dog, a bird living with us. The owner lived in the same complex we did, so he definitely knew about them.

#11 ·
I would also suggest looking for a privately owned rental. You might also talk to a real estate agent who does leasing to see if they have any listings that are dog friendly. When we were looking for a rental several years ago we had a private agent help us (they are paid commission by the owner who is trying to rent their place out) and it mae it a whole lot easier. There are lots of privately owned condos and smaller duplex type places scattered around.

If you have questions about the area in general I am happy to help (pm me). I just don't know much about the rentals since I own my place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.