Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have loved and owned Dobermans since the late 1970s. I have titled many dogs in old school performance events for many years.

I am looking for just the right Doberman to help me now, on my farm, as I am crippled.

Don't have a lot of money (retired due to disability) so am keeping my eye open for a breeder who is more concerned with a PERFECT home than a ridiculous amount of money. Don't want a show dog. Don't want a dog that has ears like a mule. Don't want a dog that shys at a gunshot. Need an old time, sensible, farm and home guardian. I hope someone still breeds that kind.

Thanks for having this resource for Dobe lovers!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT!

I apologize, but I have to comment. The prices charged by reputable breeders truly are not ridiculous. A breeder that is doing it "right" ..... health testing and titling the parents, sends puppies home cropped, docked, worm free, well socialized and confident, is lucky to break even. Dobermans are definitely expensive... it seems like with this breed, you either pay it up front, or you pay it later along with heart ache. Either way, they are expensive.

You might want to consider rescue, there are many nice Dobes out there in need of homes. There are several people here on DT that are very active in rescue. If you let us know your location, I am sure somebody can point you to a reputable rescue.

Good luck with your search.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I agree with the others. I'd contact rescues about Dobes 3+ years old. That way you know what kind of temperament you're getting. Also, because of your disability, it might be difficult for you to keep up with a young pup so an older Dobe would be good in that regard, too.

My mule-eared show bred Doberman and I wish you luck in your search. :)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!!

Good luck with your research and search for just the right dog/pup!

Please do check out a few Rescue Doberman in your area. Rescues are the BEST! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jerry, let me know when you find that! ;)

I know what you mean about breeding/money. I bred working line German Shepherds and I always tried to lean toward the perfect home (my dogs were not always so easy to place!) and not money. My bitch cost more than my car cost new, but still...her pups needed to go to the BEST home, not the wealthiest. I don't agree with trying to "make your money back on the litter". I always took payments or got creative in other ways, provided the people could provide the necessities (top quality food, care, etc.). Never was sorry to have done it, either. Those are some of the best homes, sometimes.

I truly wish you luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you much for the welcomes and advice. I have bred a couple litters in my time, from highly titled and health tested dogs. I gifted all pup I didn't keep. I absolutely agree that it costs to produce good dogs, but I also proved that when you love a breed you can produce good dogs and place them on a modest income. I don't resent a fair price, but I do know what a fair price is. I'd hazard a guess I titled my dogs higher than most of you, but I did that for fun, not as an "investment" on later pups.

Rescue: have owned a couple rescue dobes. No problem there but on a farm it is best to start with a pup as far as teaching them about livestock. Hell, I rescued an adult "livestock guardian trained pyr" the other day that ate two of my chickens before I could get it out of the yard. Also, I feel strongly about supporting good breeders these days. They need somewhere to send their stock, especially the ones who aren't exactly what THEY are looking for, but might be fine for the farm. Breeding is NOT A DIRTY WORD. A breed needs good breeders. Those who advocate RESCUE ONLY are only enabling and supporting backyard breeders.

Don't worry about exercise! Fully dog-proof fenced acreage and daily runs take care of that! Not looking for a handout. Just looking for that breeder that produces dogs for love and places them with the dog in mind. Again, thanks for the welcomes, you all have very beautiful dogs!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
hmmmmm, well most respected breeders have no problems finding great homes for their pups, many have waiting lists, they do not need to have my support. :)

But, I believe that Doberman in rescues and shelters DO need all the support they can get.

I too have a farm and the 2 doberman I rescued were taught to leave the livestock alone.
Even a Doberman pup bought from the best of breeders will need to be taught to respect the other animals that live with it.

Now that said.......good luck with your search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmmmm, well most respected breeders have no problems finding great homes for their pups, many have waiting lists, they do not need to have my support
Not to argue, but I have to say that really good homes are very difficult to find. Sure, there are good people who will feed, train, love, even show their dogs, but nowadays how many dogs live a very large portion of their lives sitting in crates or kennels? This is NO life for an active working dog. I think its pretty selfish to make a dog live like that.

As a breeder, homes on fenced acreage where the dog will be loose all day and with someone ARE rare. I for one won't place a dog where it will be kept like a toy - put in a box when not in use. (And if you think dogs are "den animals" you need to study up on your species, or you have dogs with the temperament of gophers?) So, that makes it a bit tougher to find "good homes" if you use this for the criteria. For this reason I feel I may get lucky and find someone out there who thinks the same as I and is more interested in getting a working home for their pup than $2000. I have certain type of dog in mind - and a certain type of breeder! :) :nicejob:

OK guys, did not mean to start anything. Peace!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not on this forum, maybe, but on working dog forums it's VERY common for dogs to live exactly as Jerry described. This is another reason I'm getting out of breeding working GSDs; not enough people have the common sense and handling skills necessary to raise them properly as pets, and a lot of "sport" or "working" people leave them kenneled or crated every day but Sunday, when they train/trial. :-(

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Welcome to Jerry!

I will say that my dogs live on 10.5 acres and someone is home all day. They can also go to work with me, so they take turns doing that, usually 2 at a time. They are working dogs.
No one I train with or know keeps their dogs crated all day, but I think maybe that is more popular with the GSd crowd, not sure, but hasn't been my experience with this breed.
I have placed dogs free or at very discounted prices to people who I thought were excellent homes, and especially working homes. Those are the dogs that I have always gotten back for one reason or another. I've never had a dog returned to me from a home who actually paid for it. Just another point of view.
What kind of old school performance events have you titled in and to what level? I'm curious as to what types of events there were that maybe we don't have now?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took payments on 6 of 9 puppies from my import litter- no issues whatsoever. I'm still taking payments on a few green young adults, so far, no issues.

If I were selling Golden Retrievers, then no, I would not choose to take payments in order to find the right home, but when you are selling dogs that 75% of the general inexperienced population would consider dangerous and could be not only a liability in the wrong hands, but also mistreated in one way or another, you take the extra steps/inconveniences to be assured they are in the right homes. Some of the homes that have become dear friends of mine were the ones I allowed to make payments- they appreciated being given the opportunity to get that dog on those terms instead of having to buy a lesser quality in order to still be able to feed it.

I would rather they spend the money on good food than get my money all up front. No papers until I am paid is my only "rule" when it comes to that. Again, if they were pets, that wouldn't be sufficient because pet homes don't care so much about papers, but you can hardly do anything with out papers that most working dog people want to do, so no papers is typically enough motivation to make the payments in a timely fashion.

I would agree that more GSDs are subjected to that kind of lifestyle; based on my limited knowledge of Dobermans, they would not cope well with that, both physically and mentally/emotionally. It's too bad some people take full advantage of the fact that you can get away with that in a GSD to a certain extent. :mad:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have also taken payments on pet puppies and had no troubles. ANd they were/ are GREAT homes.
I have only had trouble with 1 home not paying what we agreed on in a contract and she is a SHOW person of French Bulldogs. I have given her YEARS( litter was born in 1/09 ) to pay this off and she will not return my emails or phone calls anymore. I am still shocked by it when it pops across my brain.
So I am iffy on payments now.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not to argue, but I have to say that really good homes are very difficult to find. Sure, there are good people who will feed, train, love, even show their dogs, but nowadays how many dogs live a very large portion of their lives sitting in crates or kennels? This is NO life for an active working dog. I think its pretty selfish to make a dog live like that.

As a breeder, homes on fenced acreage where the dog will be loose all day and with someone ARE rare. I for one won't place a dog where it will be kept like a toy - put in a box when not in use. (And if you think dogs are "den animals" you need to study up on your species, or you have dogs with the temperament of gophers?) So, that makes it a bit tougher to find "good homes" if you use this for the criteria. For this reason I feel I may get lucky and find someone out there who thinks the same as I and is more interested in getting a working home for their pup than $2000. I have certain type of dog in mind - and a certain type of breeder! :) :nicejob:

OK guys, did not mean to start anything. Peace!
Could be Jerry is referring to Dogs kept in a crate 8 - 10 hours while someone is at work then again at nite or simply when they do not want the dog loose that is a "lot" of time spent in a crate.

Active working breed can just mean the breed of dog not necessarily that they they will be worked in that venue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be Jerry is referring to Dogs kept in a crate 8 - 10 hours while someone is at work then again at nite or simply when they do not want the dog loose that is a "lot" of time spent in a crate.
Yup, that's what I'm talking about.

I've titled several dogs to SchH titles, a couple to SchH III, to the lady who wanted to know what I have titled in. And FHs, things like that.

Thanks for the PMs guys. I'm sure the correct breeder with the correct dogs and I will hook up at some point. I will search them out and hopefully they will be searching my type of home out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts