·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Reactions: brw1982 and astra

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Adorable overload!

Adonis is a gorgeous young man! He is very easy going and incredibly easy to please. He likes walks, baths, cookies, and playing fetch. He doesn't realize that he is nearly a grown adult and things he's still a puppy that fits nicely into your lap. He will sneak into bed with you at night and snuggle if given half a chance. Adonis is very good with young children, even babies, and is not only gentle with them but is also very protective. He shares well with the other...
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Doberman Pinscher | Indianapolis, IN | Adonis

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
I don't know where in Indiana you are located, but perhaps one of the Ohio Doberman rescues would be willing to work with you if you are not too far out of their ranges, you meet their adoption requirements and a home visit could be arranged~ it doesn't hurt to ask.

Southwest Ohio Doberman Rescue
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...J6rG4Nx6ft7g3AFoA&sig2=7Yc6QSRsGLNTqKNmtYC-qA

Forever Dobes Doberman Rescue
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nQnx7cRRY3PFXj8BA&sig2=QC_iLok2Qu6fPXy64-Wtug

Hand Me Down Dobes
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8Oq6F10y6MKn_h2iw&sig2=_o8ASkp7CYscE3McesH2aA

North Coast Doberman Rescue
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6KlTQITox0T2ZqfpA&sig2=b3aN-zt8m6kqi0rLb95Aqg

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Good luck with your search fcdairygoats!

and Bless you for considering a Rescue Doberman!!! They are the BEST!

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. Every rescue requires a home visit and preferred physical fencing...We wouldn't pass a home visit nor do I have a fence and I am not going to put up a fence.
I wish I hadn't looked at the one site cuz there was a female doberman that is good with cats/dogs/people/housebroke/ ect ect. Perfect.

I contacted the local humane society & they said they have dobermans come through there sometimes so I gave them the specifics I am looking for and gave them my contact information. I adopted a cat from them and I still have the cat and they know she's well taken care of so I wouldn't have to jump through hoops to adopt from them again. :) I'll wait it out and see if they have one come through. Plus they are close so there wouldn't be any traveling. I wouldn't mind an hour or two traveling but I really don't want to drive 3-4+ hours just to find out the dog wouldn't fit in here or me and the dog don't really click.

Thanks again for the links!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have a dog who does not get tied up. She runs loose because she stays home. And it seems like leaving a dog unattended outside is frowned upon{from what I read thus far}. Of course I wouldn't leave just ANY dog unattended. She's been outside for years...I've had her since she was 6 wks old. Once we trained her to stay home, she had free run of the property. We have no fence well, no dog fence. There's goat fence but that's all housing the goats....and we don't live that far off the road. So between the dog and the no fence....I highly doubt anyone would accept an application.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Well, I have a dog who does not get tied up. She runs loose because she stays home. And it seems like leaving a dog unattended outside is frowned upon{from what I read thus far}. Of course I wouldn't leave just ANY dog unattended. She's been outside for years...I've had her since she was 6 wks old. Once we trained her to stay home, she had free run of the property. We have no fence well, no dog fence. There's goat fence but that's all housing the goats....and we don't live that far off the road. So between the dog and the no fence....I highly doubt anyone would accept an application.
Is she an outside only dog?

Dobermans aren't good outside only dogs, so that may be a turnoff for rescues. Sometimes "outside" dogs don't get the best care, either (not saying that's you, but that's common).

What about the Doberman breed appeals to you?

Reactions: brw1982

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts

No fence isn't a deal breaker for IDR + but the outside dog is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is she an outside only dog?

Dobermans aren't good outside only dogs, so that may be a turnoff for rescues. Sometimes "outside" dogs don't get the best care, either (not saying that's you, but that's common).

What about the Doberman breed appeals to you?
Yes she's an outside only dog. She's a chow/cocker mix. Yes it's common that outside dogs don't get the best care, wish people wouldn't judge and lump us all in one group though; it's not really fair to the ones that DO take care of their animals. That's the same with barn cats. People automatically assume I don't take care of my barn cats simply because they are barn cats...funny....they both have shiny coats, good condition, cat food to them 24/7 in the milk room, plus the one barn cat has had over $200 in vet bills because I wont leave a sick/injured animal with out vet care. The dog is up to date on vaccinations and sees the vet if she's sick/hurt which she hasn't been in years. She gets her flea/tick stuff plus heartworm prevention.

My livestock are even up to date on vaccinations. lol And they see the vet to!

No fence isn't a deal breaker for IDR + but the outside dog is.
Yea, the outside dog seems to always be the deal breaker. I'll just have to wait and see with the local humane society and I am keeping an eye on the ones in the surrounding towns to.

I don't plan on having a doberman as an outside only dog. I want one who can go outside with me when I do chores and go for walks and yet come in during the day/night. ect. I'd really like to have one that likes to ride in the car and gets along with other dogs cuz I know my dog has a blast going over to my SO's house and playing with his dog. :p :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts