Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have done some searching, but I can't seem to find any reputable breeders in the nw pa area. Here's my story... I am a great admirer of the Doberman breed. When I was very young my grandparents had a female, they said she was the best dog they've ever owned. I have done hours and hours of research on all types of dogs, but I keep coming back to the same conclusion, Doberman! Unfortunately the past few years I haven't been able to have myself the joy of calling one of these dogs my own, my housing and yard just don't allow. But now, my wife And I have finally found I nice house with a 3/4 acre yard that I think would be great for a dog to run in. So here is my dilemma, I can't seem to find a good breeder near me. I know to stay away from kimbertal and royale dobermans. Can someone help me? I have a rule that I always choose a puppy in person so I am willing to do some driving to see some. Any help would be great!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Hi Adam! Thank you for doing your homework :nicejob:

Is there anything particular you're looking to do with your dobe? agility, schutzhund, etc or just looking for a great family dog?

It's so good to hear you want to stay away from K-tal. Royale shut down, for good reason.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that about royale. I'm really just looking for a family dog that has been checked for health problems and things of that sort. I have a shihtzu now, so I would like a pup that is easy going and that won't give little wookie a heart attack haha. But I don't want a lazy pup by any means.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I would call Ray and talk to him about what you're looking for: Cara Dobermans: Home

Fitzmar recently had a litter but they are all spoken for. She might be able to give you info on upcoming litters from other breeders. I would send her an email. Keep in mind she's tending to a litter so her response might be delayed: Fitzmar Dobermans

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome and I also want to say thanks for doing your research!

Have you checked the DPCA breeder referral list? How far are you willing to travel?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to only have to travel at the most 4 hrs. although those cara dobes look beautiful, that's like an 8-9 hrs drive for me

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Shadeko is in PA and if Pat doesn't have anything available she might know of others that are having litters. She has a website (just google shadeko dobermans), also she is a member here, user name Kalecho.

Protocol and Quartet are in Ohio. Welcome to DT and good luck with your search!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your replies! We live 2hrs from Cleveland, 2hrs from Pittsburgh and 2hrs from buffalo so anywhere around those areas will work. I got a pm about shadeko but they didn't know if she had any puppies in the way.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I am pretty sure Cha-Rish is in PA somewhere. I'm in CA and geographically challenged!

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Why not see if there are any shows coming up where you can check out dogs in person & start gathering a list that way. Then you can get a feel for whom you might be dealing with to see what's out there and who you click with by demonstrating at the very least that you're doing your homework. :)

I always found it fun coming across breeders I'd never heard of, taking note, going to dobequest and OFA to see if they have health testing results listed.
It was very important to me to find a dog my style, with longevity/health testing behind it, from someone kind, and after a long wait, finally accomplished that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just lost my beloved Hunter -- he came from Shadeko 8-1/2 years ago. Absolutely wonderful dog. Temperament was wonderful, everything about this dog was amazing. Unfortunately he got cancer in the chest cavity; otherwise, he was very healthy, loving, friendly and more. I'm devastated and cannot stop the tears. Can't say enough about Pat's dogs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts