Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

My boyfriend kevin and i are looking for our first doberman=]
hoping for april or may black and rust male
we are located in massachusetts. i am willing to ship
So i guess why im posting this thread is:

help with finding breeders

and advice
i am looking to breed in the future and am looking for full registration.
i used to help my mom when she bred her miniature dachshunds. it was a very rewarding experience for me. in fact i think i was more into it than my mother was. i want to breed for quality of the breed and learn more about the breed. i do not want to be a "back yard breeder"
i am interested in obedience and possibly schutzhund i am thinking about showing too as i used to show horses as well.

looking forward to hearing from everyone!
thanks
brittany

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I don't know of any good breeders that will sell you a dog on full registration right off the bat. What you may be looking at is limited registration and if you do health testing and title the puppy in conformation or SchH then the breeder might lift the limited registration.

Getting a dog just for breeding is a red flag for breeders. Maybe pick a venue and achieve some stuff in that venue and then see if you can find a mentor for you. This is a tough breed. You will need to prove yourself a little before jumping in too fast.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Welcome to DT. Erynn is right about jumping right in.

Also something else to think about:

What do you know about Dobermans?
Do you know the standard?
Know about breed specific health issues?
Ever put a CH on a dobe? or working title/OB title/sport title on a dobe?

I'd check out the AKC's mentorship program: American Kennel Club - New Exhibitor Mentoring Program

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info im going to check out that link.

and im not getting a dog just for breeding... its just something that i want the option of having especially if i do good in the whole obedience titleing stuff. i just want to start somewhere. i totally understand why people do co-ownership on dogs. i just dont like sharing lol
i want to learn everything i can about the breed. i used to be very into showing my horses so im looking forward to this.

if anyone has any breeders out there they could give me info on lemme know.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I don't know of any good breeders that will sell you a dog on full registration right off the bat. What you may be looking at is limited registration and if you do health testing and title the puppy in conformation or SchH then the breeder might lift the limited registration.

Getting a dog just for breeding is a red flag for breeders. Maybe pick a venue and achieve some stuff in that venue and then see if you can find a mentor for you. This is a tough breed. You will need to prove yourself a little before jumping in too fast.
I agree with almost everything said here. However, you can't show a dog with limited registration in the conformation ring.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Find a reputable breeder near you who can mentor you in whatever sport (working or showing) you want to title your dogs in. Thats what I have been doing, it has been a lot of fun, and I have learned a ton and gotten to know some great people and dogs. Good breeders won't want to give full registration to new owners with no experience in the breed.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
WorkingK9s is right, that a lot of breeders won't be interested in allowing a quality puppy (one who they deem of breeding quality) go to an unproven home. All too often, breeders deal with homes that lie about their intentions, or give up once they realize the work that goes into titling a dog. It just isn't worth it to them to take the chance.

You might want to look into co owning a girl with a breeder, titling your girl, helping the breeder complete health testing and watching what goes into planning that girls litter when your breeder breeds her (because it will be the breeders litter) and after all that work, ask for one of her puppies on full registration. By that time the breeder will know and hopefully trust you, and you'll have a mentor and a bit of experience already.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
You're right, I completely forgot. A co-ownership I think is more common for showing agreements?
Absolutely! Newbies should expect a co ownership, with a contract that clearly states what's expected of them as far as showing the dog prior to breeding, what health testing is necessary, etc. The breeder will have the final decision on stud dogs, etc. There also will usually be a cash penalty due to the breeder if the contract is breached.

Newbies just CAN'T expect to be provided with a well bred bitch on full registration with no strings. No one who cares about their breeding program is going to turn someone loose like that until they've proven themselves and their intentions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im new to this i dont know how to do the whole quote thing yet lol
butttt...

do you guys think it would be better to get a female first or a male?
and when you say about co owning a female and having your co owner breed her and it would be her puppies... is that how it works? if i co owned a female with a breeder then she would be the one that gets the litter?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
im new to this i dont know how to do the whole quote thing yet lol
butttt...

and when you say about co owning a female and having your co owner breed her and it would be her puppies... is that how it works? if i co owned a female with a breeder then she would be the one that gets the litter?
Gender is up to you.

That's usually how a co ownership works, instead of keeping every nice dog they produce so they can breed them (and ending up with a ton of dogs in their house) they can place the dogs with great homes that want to compete with them, but keep the breeding rights on these dogs. So the dogs get great homes and individual attention, and the breeder isn't restricted by the amount of dogs they can keep in their home. So, yes, in most cases that litter would belong to the breeder.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
A lot depends on the terms of the sales contract. Factors that make a difference are things like who pays for handlers to show the dog, who pays for health testing and stud fees, who whelps the litter, etc. The person who puts the most money and effort into producing the litter generally gets the bulk or all of the litter, with the other party maybe getting one or two pups.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hi Brittanyrose, welcome to DT.

I'm curious--folks mentioned the many health issues in this breed, yet not one of your follow-up questions was about that.

You seem very focused on the acquisition of a dog (or bitch) on full registration, and on the eventual ownership of the litters of puppies.

Indeed, you will find inferior breeders, who are harming this breed by doing things that are unethical, risky, and irresponsible, who will sell you animals that you can turn around and breed...but you said you wanted to do things "right," so we'll assume for the sake of argument that you won't go that route, right? :)

And, further, we'll assume, since you said you want to do things right, and learn, that you won't be like the so many who hit Doberman message boards saying they want to put titles on their dogs, learn how to compete with them, and do all thorough health testing, but somehow they seem to end up getting around to having puppies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before any of that other stuff. But that won't be you, right? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so many red flags?

yes i understand that there are health problems in dobermans. i didnt ask any questions about that cause i dont have any questions on that.

i said im not looking to just get a dog to breed and yes i want to do things right.
i thought this chatboard would help me out but no offense i feel a lot of negetivity on here. i helped my mom when she bred her dachshunds for fun and for extra money. the birthing process and raising the puppies was a very rewarding experience for me. but my mom was kind of an idiot and didnt care.

thats not going to be me. and i would like positive help not negetive please? :)

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
It's not a good idea to have the attitude that you have to start somewhere and then mention breeding in the same breath. Breeding like your mother did is not what this community is about, so we tend to be pretty suspicious of those who seem to want to start in the breed BY breeding rather than learning ABOUT the breed for some time first.

Maybe this is extreme but I was involved with this breed, various aspects, for 15 years before I ever bred a litter. It takes a lot of time, maybe not 15 years, but a good investment in time to truly learn about health, training, showing, obedience, temperament, bloodlines, pedigrees, history, etc. and there should be a good foundation in those aspects before even mentioning breeding. I mean, you're talking about breeding Dobermans when you've never even owned the breed and don't really know if you're even going to like living with one.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Hello everyone.

My boyfriend kevin and i are looking for our first doberman=]
hoping for april or may black and rust male
we are located in massachusetts. i am willing to ship
So i guess why im posting this thread is:

help with finding breeders

and advice
i am looking to breed in the future and am looking for full registration.
i used to help my mom when she bred her miniature dachshunds. it was a very rewarding experience for me. in fact i think i was more into it than my mother was. i want to breed for quality of the breed and learn more about the breed. i do not want to be a "back yard breeder"
i am interested in obedience and possibly schutzhund i am thinking about showing too as i used to show horses as well.

looking forward to hearing from everyone!
thanks
brittany
My advice:

Figure out what it is you want to do with your dog, and start looking for breeders that are producing dogs that are competitive in that venue. Be aware that there aren't many Dobermans out there that are successful in both schutzhund and the conformation ring, it's generally one or the other. If I were you, I would get out there now and get involved in those venues to figure out what they are like, and what you prefer. You don't need a dog to get involved, just go along and watch, or offer to help out somehow.

I don't think any good breeder will sell you a puppy on full registration (if a breeder will sell a full rego pup to a new person, then they are, by default, very unlikely to be good). If you truly are interested in breeding, I would put that plan on the back burners for quite a few years... Get your boy Dobe, work and title him, enjoy him, learn about the breed... Then in quite a few years time, start looking for a bitch. In the mean time, research research research!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
...yes i understand that there are health problems in dobermans. i didnt ask any questions about that cause i dont have any questions on that...
Okay, quick then, without googling, what would you hope your results to be on PDK4?

What does "LC" mean, in a pedigree?

At what age should you begin screening for thyroid disorder? How often for cardio?

When can hips be OFA certified?

Not "being negative," just discussing, in hopes of, well, getting a discourse going. :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
(arnold horshack hand raising) ooh ooh!
hahah :p

Okay, quick then, without googling, what would you hope your results to be on PDK4?

What does "LC" mean, in a pedigree?

At what age should you begin screening for thyroid disorder? How often for cardio?

When can hips be OFA certified?

Not "being negative," just discussing, in hopes of, well, getting a discourse going. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts