Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loki and Freya are 18 weeks now and about to go for shots, spay/neuter, grooming, and possible ear docking. The only issue I have is with the ear docking. For starters, my hubby and I can't agree on the type of docking that we want. (I am perfectly happy with the droopy ears, I think it adds character.) Then there is the matter of I am worried to have it done at all because we are still trying to train them not to chew on each others ears. I am starting to wish we had gotten them sooner so it wouldn't be a issue about the chewing and more about conflicts of interest with the docking.
Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks!:kiss:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Loki and Freya are 18 weeks now and about to go for shots, spay/neuter, grooming, and possible ear docking. The only issue I have is with the ear docking. For starters, my hubby and I can't agree on the type of docking that we want. (I am perfectly happy with the droopy ears, I think it adds character.) Then there is the matter of I am worried to have it done at all because we are still trying to train them not to chew on each others ears. I am starting to wish we had gotten them sooner so it wouldn't be a issue about the chewing and more about conflicts of interest with the docking.
Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks!:kiss:
Docking is for the tail and cropping is for the ears, I am sorry to say you are to late to crop their ears. The latest you can get them done is 12 weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Docking is for the tail and cropping is for the ears, I am sorry to say you are to late to crop their ears. The latest you can get them done is 12 weeks.

Thank you. This is my first run with dobies and I'm not quite up to par with the terms.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

Thank you. This is my first run with dobies and I'm not quite up to par with the terms.
yeah np thats what this forum is for, yeah if you got the ears cropped now there is a slim to none chance that the ears would stand at that age. Even 12 weeks is pushing it. Usually the breeders will crop the ears at 7-9 weeks of age.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Loki and Freya are 18 weeks now and about to go for shots, spay/neuter, grooming, and possible ear docking.
I noted in your intro post that you said that you had "rescued" these two. Did they come from a rescue organization/shelter, and you have a contractual obligation to speuter them so early? If you have no choice but to speuter them early, you might see about doing the vaccinations now and putting off the surgery a bit... anesthesia and vaccines are a lot for an immature immune system to deal with at the same time. You said Freya (I think) is chewing her nails... you want to have these looked at thoroughly to be sure there is no kind of fungal or other infection type of dealie going on. As others have said, it is probably too late to do a decent crop... anyway, if you were going to crop, you would not want to go to your regular vet, probably, but to someone who specializes in ears.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The latest you would want to go with cropping if you absolutely felt it was necessary is 14 weeks. Otherwise you would probably end up with a dobe with small floppies. I suggest getting their Vaccinations now and waiting till they're between 20-28 weeks to spay/neuter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mmctaq, they are going for shots and grooming tomorrow and while we are there we will be talking about getting them fixed and try to set up an appointment for that. They were not from a rescue organization but from a animal hoarder who was breeding their parents for money. It's a sad story and Loki and Freya aren't out of the woods yet, but I want to get my ducks in a row. Freya only chews her nails when she is introduced to new things. It's def something that I will be talking to the vet about.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I agree.. Cropping the ears at 18weeks is risky.. I had a rescue once that I fostered and the Vet did the ears at 16 weeks (I was not the one who deceided)and was only given a 30% chance of standing.. Luckly they did but not without a lot of work... We we had puppies.. our vet would do the Ear Cropping and Spay or neuter at the same time if we wanted.. Never had anyproblems with growth later on or muscle tone. Vaccines though I am not sure of .. Also agree on the nail biting.. Or could be OCD mmmm MY Girl Iris.. loved to chew on her nails..

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
mmctaq, they are going for shots and grooming tomorrow and while we are there we will be talking about getting them fixed and try to set up an appointment for that. They were not from a rescue organization but from a animal hoarder who was breeding their parents for money. It's a sad story and Loki and Freya aren't out of the woods yet, but I want to get my ducks in a row. Freya only chews her nails when she is introduced to new things. It's def something that I will be talking to the vet about.
Not sure you can define someone as both a hoarder and a person who sells puppies... but, that's neither here nor there.

What do you mean that they aren't out of the woods, yet? Are they ill? Ill animals should not be vaccinated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are not ill, they are now healthy enough now to get their vaccines according to the vet. They were very malnourished, tick and flea infested, they had internal parasites, (thankfully heartworm free,) and Loki had ingested a 12 inch length of marine rope that passed with help from the vet and didn't require surgery. The vet said today that they have gained 20 pounds and they seem to be doing good other than a case of hives from their food, which has been changed. He didn't recommend the ear cropping either, so my husband finally dropped the subject. They still have a bit of weight to put on and we still have to continue the iron supplements for the anemia, but they are doing good. Thank you all for your concern and help

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congradulations on the two! Glad to hear they are in good hands now! If you are new to the breed my best advice, that i learned from this site, is to socialize them with other dogs and people and get them enrolled in an obedience class.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts