Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Family Dobermans
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone through tons of forum threads, web sites, etc etc researching & looking for "THE" dog :)
We want the healthiest, best tempered puppy we can get, but there is a budget.
obedience training & showing is our main interest. The puppy will be part of the family, we do not have any other dogs (they've passed on due to old age).

My questions:
What should we expect to pay?
Are there any breeders who specialize in obedience dogs? For example, their dogs have multiple obedience titles?
It's been a long time since I purchased a dog. Do breeders still make "arrangements" on bitches that they want to keep as part of their breeding program, but need a loving home for?

I spent a lot of time on the DPCA website, looking for breeders in my state. I was disappointed to see that quite a few of the breeders websites are either no longer working, or they haven't been updated in years with recent info.

FYI I'm in Central Florida.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I agree with Alan J - expect to pay at least 2K and it seems prices may possibly be even higher these days, ie $2500.

Do you have a preference in terms of a dog more from working lines vs show lines? You should be able to get a strong performance prospect from either but if you have a preference the list of breeders will differ. Either way, you just want to really research the breeder and the bitch/stud being bred to see if there is a history in the pedigree of performance titled dogs. And make sure you find a breeder who is well equipped to match you to a puppy who shows strong performance potential.

If you are really serious about it, one place to research would be to look at Dobermans in the top 20 for obedience or agility, see what dobermans have OTCH's or UDXs, check out the breeders of those dogs. And check out the pedigrees of these dogs as well. I say agility too because these dogs should also have very good drive that would be transferrable to obedience. You can look at prior years Top 20 results too and see if there are any trends with breeders who show up repeatedly.

Here's the link to the current top 20 obedience dobermans:
DPCA | Top 20 | Obedience

One breeder who comes to mind off the top of my mind that seems to focus a lot on breeding both strong conformation and performance prospects is ADAMAS in Georgia. But there are many other breeders out there too - this is just one...

Make sure you also do your breeder research about health testing, health within the line, etc too. Just because a dog has made the top 20, doesn't mean the breeder is automatically reputable/ethical. And as I am sure you are aware, there are a lot of health issues in this breed that responsible breeders will be testing for and will know the history and be able to speak to on both the dam and sire's side of the pedigree.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
p.s. I would recommend you not limit your search to just your state. Shipping a puppy is not out of the question, although I realize some people are not comfortable with that. But if you are seriously looking for a very strong performance prospect, you may not find what you are looking for right in your local area and may need to broaden the search.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
You might check ADAMAS in Georgia. They may have an obedience prospect from their last litter. She does a lot of performance/conformation, etc.

My bitch is from ADAMAS and 5 in her litter have performance titles. 5 in her dam's litter do also. If you look at their site, they do a lot of performance.

·
Family Dobermans
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All, Thank you, I did email a few recommended breeders, waiting for replies.
Question for Adara, you mentioned you have a bitch from Adamas ? They were my first choice. I was wondering if you have any litters planned?
We are willing to wait six months to a year for the right puppy.
Thanks!

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
ADAMAS is a great choice! Very knowledgeable breeder, and I've seen many of her dogs in the agility ring (I know you are looking for OB)... But her dogs are very trainable, and I would not regret saying that an ADAMAS dog would be very competitive in the OB ring.

However, if you want to show the dog yourself, "Owner-Handler" I don't believe she "allows" that... I could be totally wrong though... But I want to say someone told me that once...

BTW (not to answer for Adara) but I believe Flirt is spayed ;)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I do have an ADAMAS bitch. She is spayed though. I haven't talked to ADAMAS about their breeding plans because I'm NOT ready for a puppy. But I will be going back to the lines in the future. I didn't ask about owner handling in the Dobe ring. SCARES ME :) we had a show contract and she was very fair with us about how we ended up proceeding. She's been there for me any time I've called (day or night).

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Here's the link to the current top 20 obedience dobermans:
DPCA | Top 20 | Obedience
SQWEEEEE!!!! A 1/2 sibling of my boy is #13!!!! :D

Also going to chime in Smack -Dab-has had some longevity too.
That said don't rule out a road trip for the best fit.
Good luck

·
Family Dobermans
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I am giving up on the "first tier" breeders, I cannot get an email back from any of them. Can anyone tell me who may be breeding the adamas line besides Adamas? I guess I'm looking for someone who may have their own breeding program that incorporated adamas? Love their dobs. Thank you.

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
If you give up that easily, perhaps a Doberman is not for you.

The Doberman national specialty show is going on in California right now. Many breeders and exhibitors were on their way there last week, and are there now. You can expect that many of the nation's top breeders are away right now taking part in this show, and not just sitting around waiting to hear from you at the moment.

Looking for "THE" dog, as you described it, takes more than 5 days.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I spoke with Elizabeth/Adamas two nights ago and she told me that a TT Obedience person drove from Texas to Georgia to get the last male puppy from the latest litter. There are no puppies available. To my knowledge, there are no other breeders using her lines unless there is a cobreeding with a bitch she sold and coowned.

·
Family Dobermans
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your responses.

To "maryanddobes": you have no clue how long I've been looking. You are rude & have no manners. That much is obvious. If a person is on this forum, it's because they have a genuine interest in the breed. People like you don't belong on this type of form.

I run my own very successful business by providing first class customer service, so I do know a thing or two about the importance of not only keeping my current customers happy, but also adding to my customer base. If a breeder is too busy to answer a simple email, then I assume they either have ALL the buyers they will EVER need or they are just not able to provide the kind of customer service I require.

Most people are connected to the internet; it takes less than a minute to send an email stating "Hi, I'm on the road right now, but your email is important to me, I will get to it asap"

I am not going to beg anybody to take my $2500. Please do not tell me "breeding dogs is not a business". I fully understand that the best breeders (whatever the breed) are passionate about their dogs and are involved for the love of the breed. The fact is There are large sums of money involved, so whether you like it or not, its a business transaction, usually involving a contract! If a breeder cannot answer my initial inquiry, what's going to happen if I have a health problem with her dog down the road & try to reach her?

We will provide an amazing and loving home for the dob we select. The dob will be an only dog, loved and well trained, vet cared for, etc. Everything a dog could want. We are not in a rush. I am trying to get on the right breeders list for a dog next year.

My thanks to those of you who have been genuinely helpful.
Have a Blessed Day.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mary is just being honest and realistic, not at all rude. The breeders you are looking to get a puppy from have no need to give you "customer service." you will get that from the greeders but not the quality breeders. It's up to you to show that you are a worthwhile owner. Many of the people who the quality breeders deal with have a long record of training and success with more than one Dobe. AFTER they trust you with one of their puppies they will give you support and be responsive.

In the case of the Adamas litter, there was a waiting list of very qualified homes and all of the puppies were homed within 11 weeks of birth. This included 5 male puppies and only 3 bitch puppies. I didn't even know for sure if or which puppy bitch I was getting until about ten days before I got Jolie. Why would she sell you a puppy when someone with a Top Twenty Obedience history would drive from Texas to Georgia for an obedience prospect? That really is a known commodity of a home.

From the attitude you took toward Mary and your attitude in general, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot. Don't mind me, I've only had 8 Dobermans and put agility titles on all of then in the last 20 years. What would I know?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
BTW, if you know anything about the breed and pedigrees you would read the 4 generation pedigree of that litter and see the love, devotion and knowledge that went into that litter. There are very few breeders who are health testing, showing in conformation and breeding for performance as well as titles on both ends and ROMs. Breeders like this don't need to give "customer service" to unknown people who claim to be good potential homes.

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
What I know is what you've posted. You posted 5 days ago stating that you had been researching and looking. Yet, you didn't know the most basic info like the current going rate or how to find breeders that tend to produce obedience titled dogs, which leads me to the conclusion that you haven't spent as much time as you like to think. And then you're throwing in the towel on the good breeders within 5 days because they didn't send you an e-mail. Entitlement much?

First of all, I explained that many breeders are away right now at our "THE" event of the year. Maybe in your mind most are connected to the internet - have you ever considered that maybe you're wrong? When I go to the national specialty show, I am completely unconnected to the internet for the whole 2 weeks I go. It's my dog show vacation. I don't need to be connected to a computer when I'm there to be connecting with dogs and people IRL.

Beyond that, e-mail fails. If you didn't get an e-mail back, maybe the intended recipient honestly didn't get it. There's really no need to stomp your feet and start looking at substandard breeders.

I've had e-mails from people like you. I tell them puppies need patience, and you're not displaying that quality.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thank you for your responses.

To "maryanddobes": you have no clue how long I've been looking. You are rude & have no manners. That much is obvious. If a person is on this forum, it's because they have a genuine interest in the breed. People like you don't belong on this type of form.

I run my own very successful business by providing first class customer service, so I do know a thing or two about the importance of not only keeping my current customers happy, but also adding to my customer base. If a breeder is too busy to answer a simple email, then I assume they either have ALL the buyers they will EVER need or they are just not able to provide the kind of customer service I require.

Most people are connected to the internet; it takes less than a minute to send an email stating "Hi, I'm on the road right now, but your email is important to me, I will get to it asap"

I am not going to beg anybody to take my $2500. Please do not tell me "breeding dogs is not a business". I fully understand that the best breeders (whatever the breed) are passionate about their dogs and are involved for the love of the breed. The fact is There are large sums of money involved, so whether you like it or not, its a business transaction, usually involving a contract! If a breeder cannot answer my initial inquiry, what's going to happen if I have a health problem with her dog down the road & try to reach her?

We will provide an amazing and loving home for the dob we select. The dob will be an only dog, loved and well trained, vet cared for, etc. Everything a dog could want. We are not in a rush. I am trying to get on the right breeders list for a dog next year.

My thanks to those of you who have been genuinely helpful.
Have a Blessed Day.
If this post is any indication of your level of patience, and ability to step back and really think about things, prior to reacting...perhaps this is not the breed for you.

Maybe you are just having a bad day, and this isn't typical of you, but if you had a tiny little quark-sized clue of how much Mary has contributed to the Doberman breed in general, and the Doberman community here specifically, you'd be quite embarrassed by your own post.

Dobermans are an odd combination of pushy and sensitive, require finesse and talent, in training them to their fullest potential.

In short, they are a thinking breed, and require a thinking handler, to fulfill their potential. Something for you to ponder.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: dobedream
1 - 20 of 21 Posts