Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any CGC/ RTD breeder suggestions in my area?

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker/researcher on this forum, but I just now created an account and this is my very first post.

My ideal Dobe is a pet/companion that will grow into a running and hiking partner. I also volunteer at a local hospital, and am interested in pursuing CGC certification and registering as a therapy dog. I've never owned a Doberman before, my experience is limited to Labs (3), a Beagle, an Australian Shepherd mix, and a Saint Bernard. For this reason I feel that I'd want to avoid the high energy, hard working European lines in favor of the American lines.

So what I'm really asking is are there any particular competition that Dobes are bred for that favor dogs suited to this lifestyle? And if so, do you know of any breeders within 8 or so hours of Northern Kentucky that breed for these traits and are planning a litter sometime in the next year?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, but just now decided to create an account and to get some advice on choosing the right Dobe and Breeder for me! A little about me, I'm from Nothern KY and graduating from college this May and am looking for a great companion dog as a graduation gift to myself. What drew me to the Dobe as my ideal breed was their athleticism, intelligence, loyalty, protective instincts, and history as both working and companion dogs.

I'm looking for a male pet/companion Dobe who will grow into a running and hiking buddy. I also volunteer at a local hospital and am very interested in registering my future pup as a therapy dog and Canine Good Citizen, but I don't think I'm interested in showing. I'd love to have a Red/Rust dog, but what is most important to me is that I get a pup with the best chance to live a long, healthy life as my best buddy.

So my question is, does anyone know where I should begin looking for a dog that has been bred for traits to suit this kind of lifestyle somewhat near me? I'm willing to drive at least 10 hours, and probably even more for a dog that is just right. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
Welcome to DT.

A dog from a good show breeder would be a good bet. Have you checked out the DPCA breeder's list? DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral Inclusion on the list doesn't automatically mean they are as ethical as they should be, but it's a good place to start.

Also, a rescue might be a good choice. A good rescue will thoroughly evaluate their dogs, and do their best to ensure that they make a good match for you.

Reactions: LindaH and SieYa

·
am the law
986 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The Doberman Pinscher Breeder Listings group on Facebook is very helpful. It is often pretty fruitless emailing/contacting breeders if they do not have a litter planned or on the ground; they are busy people for sure but frequently you won't hear back at all. So the FB group is useful because you can see who has pups coming and is actively taking applications. Only breeders that health test and title their dogs are allowed to advertise on the group, but still do your due diligence. Good luck!

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks havenminx, that was a resource I was not aware of! So far I've only been going off the DPCA breeder referral list, but I have heard that there are other reputable breeders that are not listed on their site.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Hi and Welcome from Denver! I too am from NKY! Are you graduating from NKU? If so Go Norse!

You aren't far from Cambria in IN, I do know they have a litter planned, but it's out of 2 very amazing dogs so I'm not sure how many pet homes they'll have.

Mirabel's in Cincy as well, they have some very well qualified dobes for therapy dogs. Also, they have some dogs with some longevity lines which is nice. I'm not sure about any litters.

A'Carrig has some puppies on the ground currently.

Also reaching out to your local DPCA club is a great way to find out who has or will be having puppies.

I'm not endorsing these breeders except to say that they show and work their dogs. It's up to you to call and find out about their health testing. Finding the right breeder that you can connect with that does the health testing you believe in is very important. The beautiful puppies will follow.

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gretchen, nice to hear from another Northern Kentuckian! I'm actually graduating from UK, so Go Cats!

A'Carrig does have pups on the ground, but all are spoken for besides a red female, and I was really hoping for a male. It's not a complete dealbreaker, but I have zero prior experience with females.

Mirabel doesn't plan for another litter until this time next year, but I love their dogs! Michelle was very nice and very prompt in her responses.

I have reached out to Cambria, but have yet to hear back from them. Like you said, this breeding is an excellent pair of dogs, and I have a feeling this litter may have been spoken for well in advance, which is to be expected from a breeder of high quality Dobes.

Does anyone have any experience with either Briarwood Dobermans in Oregonia, OH or Quartet Dobermans in Dayton, OH? Or do you know of any major red flags related to these breeders? Both have litters planned by the end of this year.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I think every good breeder has at least a handful of CGCs in their bloodline. It's not exactly a very hard title to achieve.

When you say RTD, are you talking TDI therapy work or service dog work? I ask because lately their seems to be a blur between the two based on the inquiries I receive and they are significantly different.

·
Super Moderator
22,847 Posts
So nice to see someone doing their research!

The Facebook group that was mentioned can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/323279287742250/

You might reach out to Whitney Newman at Cinematic Dobermans (Home to Ricky Bobby Doberman - Welcome to Cinematic Dobermans!). She is right over in Tennessee and is a very kind, helpful person, besides owning some very nice dogs. She would be very helpful in guiding you, I bet.

Edited to add: I just saw you started two identical threads...please don't do so in the future. I've merged them.

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes MeadowCat, I just noticed that, so sorry! I didn't see that there was a period where the new thread needed to be reviewed by a moderator before being posted, won't happen again!

Also, Dobiewankenobi (may the force be with you), the difference was relatively hazy to me, but it seems that service dogs are trained for the assistance of the blind or deaf, while TDI dogs are those who go visit patients in hospice, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. If that is correct, then I'm interested in TDI certification not service dog training.

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Michelle of Mirabel Dobermans told me that the ADAMAS litter is most likely already spoken for, but a breeder out of Michigan had just announced a litter between her champion bitch (also CGC certified) and a grand champion dog from another breeder.

Both parents have been tested for hips, thyroid, CERF, Holter, and Echo, with one being vWD clear and the other a vWD carrier. Only the dam has been elbow tested (good), but the sire does not have any elbow results listed. He has also had normal liver and kidney tests while the dam has not had any results posted.

I also can't find the dam's pedigree on Dobequest, but half of her siblings are titled. Does this raise any red flags to any more experienced Dobe buyers?

ADDED: Should I contact the dam's breeder for her pedigree?

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
If the bitch has a full sibling who's pedigree is listed on Dobequest, then that would be her pedigree, as well. As for why she herself isn't titled, there could be a number of reasons for that, several of which wouldn't concern me overmuch. Have you checked the OFA site Orthopedic Foundation for Animals to see if there is more testing than what is on DQ?

Reactions: ChazTheDerperman

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
UPDATE: Michelle of Mirabel Dobermans told me that the ADAMAS litter is most likely already spoken for, but a breeder out of Michigan had just announced a litter between her champion bitch (also CGC certified) and a grand champion dog from another breeder.

Both parents have been tested for hips, thyroid, CERF, Holter, and Echo, with one being vWD clear and the other a vWD carrier. Only the dam has been elbow tested (good), but the sire does not have any elbow results listed. He has also had normal liver and kidney tests while the dam has not had any results posted.

I also can't find the dam's pedigree on Dobequest, but half of her siblings are titled. Does this raise any red flags to any more experienced Dobe buyers?

ADDED: Should I contact the dam's breeder for her pedigree?

I personally like to see both pedigrees and if they can put in the ages of death and what from, I like that as well. Sometimes they won't write it but they will tell you it via email or over the phone.

Not all breeders have their dogs on dobequest. I noticed this while looking as well. I heard different reasons but one being that ANYONE can edit the dog's info. without it being approved and I know I wouldn't want that.

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Rosemary, thank you so much for referring me to that site, seems like I have some more research to do! For some reason, her whole litter doesn't have any pedigree come up. I was, however, able to find pedigree results listed for both of the dam's parents on DQ and they appear to be good lines with some recognizable names.

Gretchen, that reasoning seems completely understandable. I know if I was a breeder I wouldn't trust others with the possibility to change my dog's information for whatever reason, especially since reputable breeders should have paperwork on all of their dogs anyway. I will definitely be sure to ask about the longevity of the line! I'd like to have a Dobe that has the best chances of being with me for a long time!

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Rosemary, after doing some snooping, it turns out that the sire only has good preliminary hip results, but no official results. Do you know what this means? His sire and and dam were hip rated as good and excellent, respectively. Neither had elbow results.

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FINAL UPDATE (for now):

After exchanging numerous emails with this breeder, I have decided to officially be placed on the waitlist for a male Dobe pup! I could not be more excited! :grin2: Looking forward to updates and pictures from the breeder as things progress! There's even the potential for Red/Rust pups from this pairing! I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread and provided me with numerous resources and important questions to ask before making this decision! I look forward to sharing pictures and stories of my future Dobe pup with the forum and will definitely be returning for researching various training and health related threads. Thanks again! :grinball2:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
FINAL UPDATE (for now):

After exchanging numerous emails with this breeder, I have decided to officially be placed on the waitlist for a male Dobe pup! I could not be more excited! :grin2: Looking forward to updates and pictures from the breeder as things progress! There's even the potential for Red/Rust pups from this pairing! I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread and provided me with numerous resources and important questions to ask before making this decision! I look forward to sharing pictures and stories of my future Dobe pup with the forum and will definitely be returning for researching various training and health related threads. Thanks again! :grinball2:
Well don't keep us in suspense! What breeder did you decide to go with??

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She's a new breeder, just setting up her kennel. Her name is Andria Carpenter and her "kennel" (currently she only has one bitch) is called Andella Kennels. She passed my interview with flying colors and was incredibly nice and welcome to my incessant questioning. She was thorough herself, and asked all of the right questions of me in return. Even though she's just getting started, I don't doubt that she has a deep love for the breed and is taking her first steps toward toward contributing toward the betterment of the breed. Again, I'm so glad that I managed to find and connect with a breeder who is practicing ethical pairings and works to title her dogs herself, AND that she just so happened to have a litter planned in about a month!

·
Big Lil pup
7,331 Posts
"She's a new breeder, just setting up her kennel. Her name is Andria Carpenter and her "kennel" (currently she only has one bitch)"

Everyone starts somewhere. My go-to breeder (Foxfire), started out with a single bitch around 1980 and (IMO) has become one of the best advocates of the Doberman breed.

Just make sure that you are comfortable with the pedigrees of both the sire and dam. Also, verifiable titles and documented health testing on both.

That being said... Awesome!

I saw that G_R mentioned that Cambria has a litter planned. My current youngest's sire is a Cambria dog, Cambria's Highly Regarded (Raden). Honestly, one of the best boys I have ever owned.

So, if this doesn't pan out, you could reach out to Cambria. I doubt you would be disappointed.

Regards

John
Portland OR

1 - 20 of 27 Posts