Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have for the past several months been preparing for my first doberman. I did a lot of research online, "stalked" this forum for several months before joining, saved a lot of forum pages from different sites, regarding breeding questions, training, nutrition, people to avoid, best toys, anything I stumbled across.

I would prefer a red/rust female docked and cropped. I have applied to my local southwest ohio rescues, HMDD and Southwestdobes as well as secondhandmutts in Cleveland.
I've been approved through HMDD but they currently do not have a red female cropped and docked.
I would prefer a dog that had soulful eyes, but that might be something that comes with age or parenthood, as so far I've only seen it on a few females and they had had puppies.

I've done a lot of extensive research on diets/nutrition (several holistic vet authors/pro raw feeding authors), doberman's longevity, training, obedience and watched endless hours of videos of other people with their dobermans. Mostly what I could get my hands on through leerburg.com, Michael Ellis, and Cesar Milan. Just wanted to see people execute visually, what they are talking about when it comes to training and methods. I am very excited about finding my new best friend who I can snuggle with on mellow days, run in the park with on lots of days, agility and obedience train in my back yard, and dream of a dobe that loves my cats, and that my cats can love in return. I've also been reading about dock dogs and flyball, and I am very curious about any fun activities I can train for should my new best friend show the desire after obedience training.

I have inquired with Joyce Cates of Silhouette about her newborns after hearing about it on here, and sent an application, but since she hasn't responded in the past week; maybe they're already all spoken for. Or she could be pretty busy, with taking care of the newborns. I want to give that more time before sending her any more email.

I was wondering if anyone in Ohio, MI, TN, KY, NY, PA were having litters, and maybe even further if I could find a way to work that out.

I appreciate anyone's recommendations and time. I'm very passionate, and excited about this, and I've been waiting so long I get really sad sometimes thinking about it.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Good luck on your search. What do you mean by soulful eyes? For me, I feel like a lot of the european dogs look to have more soulful eyes whereas many NA dogs have a more fierce look, but that's just my personal opinion. Try holding a delicious hamburger, though, you'll get plenty of soulful eyes quick! ;)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
contact DT member DobeGirl07 Her dog is the sire of this litter and perhaps can give you an update on availability. I'm sure Joyce is super busy tending to the litter.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/68480-lucius-x-layla-puppies-here.html

I have inquired with Joyce Cates of Silhouette about her newborns after hearing about it on here, and sent an application, but since she hasn't responded in the past week; maybe they're already all spoken for. Or she could be pretty busy, with taking care of the newborns. I want to give that more time before sending her any more email.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I have for the past several months been preparing for my first doberman. I did a lot of research online, "stalked" this forum for several months before joining, saved a lot of forum pages from different sites, regarding breeding questions, training, nutrition, people to avoid, best toys, anything I stumbled across.

I would prefer a red/rust female docked and cropped. I have applied to my local southwest ohio rescues, HMDD and Southwestdobes as well as secondhandmutts in Cleveland.
I've been approved through HMDD but they currently do not have a red female cropped and docked.
I would prefer a dog that had soulful eyes, but that might be something that comes with age or parenthood, as so far I've only seen it on a few females and they had had puppies.

I've done a lot of extensive research on diets/nutrition (several holistic vet authors/pro raw feeding authors), doberman's longevity, training, obedience and watched endless hours of videos of other people with their dobermans. Mostly what I could get my hands on through leerburg.com, Michael Ellis, and Cesar Milan. Just wanted to see people execute visually, what they are talking about when it comes to training and methods. I am very excited about finding my new best friend who I can snuggle with on mellow days, run in the park with on lots of days, agility and obedience train in my back yard, and dream of a dobe that loves my cats, and that my cats can love in return. I've also been reading about dock dogs and flyball, and I am very curious about any fun activities I can train for should my new best friend show the desire after obedience training.

I was wondering if anyone in Ohio, MI, TN, KY, NY, PA were having litters, and maybe even further if I could find a way to work that out.

I appreciate anyone's recommendations and time. I'm very passionate, and excited about this, and I've been waiting so long I get really sad sometimes thinking about it.
Hey there,

Yes Joyce has been super busy taking care of babies around the clock. Joyce has responded to you, but at this time, we are not promising puppies to anyone. Joyce will grade the litter around 10 to 12 weeks. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Joyce again or myself.

Puppies are 8 days old right now and like I said Joyce is super busy but she is finding time to talk calls on puppies and answering emails.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zeldarules your red is handsome :). Mangujowa, you got me there. Soulful eyes is hard to describe, and you got a pretty good point.
I'm so new at this I'm nervous and angsty. I was just worried I have to keep looking and really I just have to wait. While I understood that Joyce of course needs time I didn't realize how this works exactly, I thought maybe after you apply if you're not approved or anything that you have to keep moving. This makes sense and I'm glad to have learned something new about the whole process.

I'm really glad that these puppies and the dobe family have people who care and know so much taking care of them, that makes me feel so much better about being quiet and being more patient! That and I understand better know.

Thank you all for listening and watching a noob.
And thank you to Joyce and Lindsay for taking such good care of your dogs, that's inspiring.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I PM'd you and I wanted let you know I know of anther breeding that is due next month also. I think they are still excepting pet homes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I contacted Joyce at Silhouette on June 16 and she got back with me right away so you may want to double check to see if the email address was typed in correctly. If you'd rather speak to her, afternoons seem to be better for her.I'm not sure if she has any red females or not. I had originally looked at adopting a black/rust male from her but things worked out for me locally instead and I'll be picking up our new ADAMAS puppy, Odin, in 2 weeks. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
mythikl - what a wonderful and detailed (educated) post, from you...this level of research, from a 1st timer is rare / hats off.
- I am not a breeder, but if I was and saw this level of thinking...you would be on my short list for a puppy

Our senior girl is 11.5 y/o...after being doberless for 14 years, we found our selves woundering were our new pup was coming from (in 1999) and before DT forums and others to help.

Our 1977 breeder was like 82 years old, and her and husband died a year after the last litter they produced.
- her great linage on one dog, we tracked to another breeder several hours drive away

So we found our new breeder, but it was the 40 minute phone conversation I made and one follow up with a e-mailed old photo (of our first girl) that captured the loving & forever family life...our family would give a new pup.
- one long phone call and one photo e-mail, clinched it...I went from daily junk mail status to being selected for a future puppy / immediately short listed, without completing the pup questionaire

If I was looking for a breeder now, that didn't know me personally...I would be on the phone selling myself first and not rely on any e-mail chat (to start with)...as internet sites get bombarded with puppy orders on a daily basis and the good breeders don't always have great follow-up resources.

More reading - follow my post #2: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68447-first-dobie.html
Good luck on finding your perfect girl !!

P.S.
You have to make an impression on the ethical breeders.
Our breeder reserved an extra sweet girl for us, that needed to be raised with a loving hand and not strong armed (or she would shut down, in training).
- all this without ever meeting our family, until we made the long car ride, to pick up our dobe
- I was in heaven, I thought we got the pick of the litter and we did, and our breeder was smart enough to match puppy needs with new owner
(she went on to be titled in OB and certified in hospital & nursing home therapy work - her lack of confidence, was only shorted lived with much love & play)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts