Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:boldblue: Hi
I am looking for a male Dobe I currently have a female dobe who is 10months old. I would like her to have another play mate. I did have a male but we lost him to some complications. I also have a chi-pom mix and a basset. I am concerned about getting another male thinkinf that my candy girl may not accept him or I may have a problem with the little chi-pom. I would like any info that someone can give on there experience with bring in a new male pup.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Your concerns are well grounded, as I'm sure you know, or you wouldn't be posting of course. How is your 10 month old now with other dogs? Or the Chi-pom? There are concerns with male on male aggression with dobermans. So you have to worry about the two males together. Of course there is always the case where everything turns out fine.

TD just tried to bring a male pup into his household and all did not turn out well for him. But he had no way of knowing before hand that there would be a problem. http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=782 Give this a read, everything TD did was correct from the first meeting being on "neutral ground" away from the house and so on. It didn't work in his case, but there is some good advice in there about what he did to try to make it work.

Would you be opposed to a female if you are concerned about the male on male issue with your small dog?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My female dobe Candy that I have the 10 month old is very social with other dogs and so is my little gizmo whom is also female. But may male basset is a CRANKY floor decoration( doesn't move unless he has too!!!) I volunteer at the human society so I bring home some dogs for a sleep over just to get them out of the shelter for a little while. And my kids seem to do fine with them but I am concerned about a perment addition of a male dobe. Should I bring my female when I pick out a new puppy? what do you guys think????

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't even be considering another puppy right now while your female is still a pup. Just concentrate on getting her socialized and properly trained. Bond with her first.
I would be very hesistant to bring in a male Doberman since you have another male dog. Male Dobermans are known for being same sex agressive. It would be a very big risk.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Any luck or headway on the puppy issue yet? I have to agree and disagree to a point, yes, work on getting your pup socialized and trained, as well as bond with her, but adding another dog while she is still a pup isn't that bad of an idea. Although at her age now, she may well be an adult before you find a suitable breeder and the pup is ready to come home though. Are you looking into rescue, at which case, I'd say go for it, and just bring your female to a neutral place to first meet the rescue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts