Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there everyone! I am new to the Doberman world and after a week of researching the breed, I have decided that the Doberman Pinscher is the right dog for me. I just love their sleek, elegant look and their silly personality(I have seen tons of Doberman videos on youtube). I have also been researching potential breeders in and out of state. Has anyone had experience with having a puppy shipped to you? Can you recommend me trustworthy breeders? Also, I have been noticing that a lot of breeders(especially show breeders) have very small dogs. Do you know of any breeders that breed larger/taller dobies?

I actually asked the owner of Pablo and Ramsey what breeder he got Ramsey from and he told me about Kings Ransom Dobermans. Does anyone have any experience with this breeder?

Anyways, sorry for all the questions, but your guy's input with be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Yudsan,

Kudos for doing your research first!

First, I want to tell you - bigger does not equal better. Both the AKC (American Kennel Club) and the FCI call for a medium sized dog, not a large one. The AKC calls for about a 27.5" (ideal) height at the withers, and, if I can still do math, the FCI calls for about 28" at the withers. I think a weight between 90-100 pounds is what most would consider normal. Stay away from "superior size" breeders. They are gimmicks.

If you would like to review both standards, please look here.

Where are you located? What are you looking for? Companion, show, working?

JB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yudsan,

Kudos for doing your research first!

First, I want to tell you - bigger does not equal better. Both the AKC (American Kennel Club) and the FCI call for a medium sized dog, not a large one. The AKC calls for about a 27.5" (ideal) height at the withers, and, if I can still do math, the FCI calls for about 28" at the withers. I think a weight between 90-100 pounds is what most would consider normal. Stay away from "superior size" breeders. They are gimmicks.

If you would like to review both standards, please look here.

Where are you located? What are you looking for? Companion, show, working?

JB.
Thank you for the links, I really appreciate it! I am glad that you warned me of "superior size" breeders. I actually saw a couple of those websites and was falling for it.

I am located in Las Vegas, NV and am looking for a companion dobie :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're looking for a very large dog a doberman might not be the right breed for you. It's a blessing to have a dobe that is average sized or a little small/petite in my opinion :) Have you considered rescuing an adult doberman?
Not looking for a very large dog, but I have seen a couple of large dobies on youtube and they look like big goofballs--I thought it was so cute. Well I have discussed this with my family and they felt that a puppy would be the best option for us. They feel that a puppy will grow more attached and be like a 'blank canvas' if that makes any sense. I personally would love the idea of rescuing a dobie that truly needs a home, but the rest of my family is a bit hesitant with getting a rescue dog.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, definitely avoid "superior size" or "oversize" breeders. The Doberman is a medium size dog.

Tell us a bit more about your family? Children? How old? Other animals? What are you planning on doing with your Dobe? What is your experience with dogs?

There are tons of questions you should ask a breeder as well. Check out some of the threads and don't hesitate to ask for advice.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
DPCA Breeder Referral: Nevada

Here are breeders that are members of the DPCA (Doberman Pinscher Club of America) in Nevada. You should check out breeders in your state, as well as other states to find the breeder that is best for you.

Recommended Breeders

The above link is to a thread right here on DT with recommended breeders. They're all unsorted, and you have to go through a lot of posts. Neither of these 2 links are guarantees that a breeder is the right one for you though! Please make sure you look for full health testing in your search, and look for someone who actively titles their dogs in either conformation, obedience, and/or working sports, etc.

I can't give you much of an opinion of what you should get - but rather more of what you should stay away from. This is an EXCELLENT, informative page on what you should be looking for when you purchase a puppy - Before You Buy a Doberman

Also here are a few:
About Breeders
Warlock Myth

Good luck, and if you have questions about specific breeders, I'm sure there are many who can chime in and guide you the right way. I am on the opposite coast, so I am no expert in what is being produced over there!

JB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum! Yes, definitely avoid "superior size" or "oversize" breeders. The Doberman is a medium size dog.

Tell us a bit more about your family? Children? How old? Other animals? What are you planning on doing with your Dobe? What is your experience with dogs?

There are tons of questions you should ask a breeder as well. Check out some of the threads and don't hesitate to ask for advice.
Thank you!

Well I live in a two story house with my mother, brother, sister-in-law, their 2 year old son, and two cats. In the past I've had a boxer and a pomeranian, both which died of old age(my sweet pomi just died recently). I am planning on starting with training classes as a puppy and hopefully work my way up to Schutzhund.

Thanks you, the other thing I was worried about was having a puppy shipped to you. Do you know anyone that has had experience with this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DPCA Breeder Referral: Nevada

Here are breeders that are members of the DPCA (Doberman Pinscher Club of America) in Nevada. You should check out breeders in your state, as well as other states to find the breeder that is best for you.

Recommended Breeders

The above link is to a thread right here on DT with recommended breeders. They're all unsorted, and you have to go through a lot of posts. Neither of these 2 links are guarantees that a breeder is the right one for you though! Please make sure you look for full health testing in your search, and look for someone who actively titles their dogs in either conformation, obedience, and/or working sports, etc.

I can't give you much of an opinion of what you should get - but rather more of what you should stay away from. This is an EXCELLENT, informative page on what you should be looking for when you purchase a puppy - Before You Buy a Doberman

Also here are a few:
About Breeders
Warlock Myth

Good luck, and if you have questions about specific breeders, I'm sure there are many who can chime in and guide you the right way. I am on the opposite coast, so I am no expert in what is being produced over there!

JB.
Ah, well think for all your help so far. You are definitely giving me that push in the right direction. I want to make sure I get my perfect little dobe :).

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
Hi and welcome, and well done for doing lots of research !!

As for the size thing, standard is best but what ever the parent you wont know exactly what you have till about 2 when they stop growing. zeus had "normal" parents and he is now a mini horse !! you just never know !!

good luck in your search !!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welcome and good luck in your search! You will find a lot of info here at this site and everyone is always willing to help.

:wavey:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You will be a lot better off if you search out a reputable breeder in your area. There is no need to incurr the additional expense and uncertainty of buying a puppy that you have never seen in the flesh from someone you have only talked to on the phone. A reputable breeder would want to meet you and you should be wanting to meet them and see there other dogs, not just pictures on the internet. In some cases people live in very remote areas and do not have the option, but you live in an area where it is a fairly easy day's drive to many reputable breeders. I know a few right in your area. Not schutzhund breeders, but AKC show breeders that may have some nice pets available. There are a lot of advantages to buying from a breeder close by you if they are quality, reputable breeders and have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. As far as the breeder whose link you posted, it says on the front page that they do health testing on thier dogs and are actively showing which is good, but I couldn't get any of the tabs to work so I would look more closely if you want to puruse them.

I don't personally know any good breeders in NV, doesn't mean they don't exist. There are two USA Schutzhund clubs out there though.

Vegas Valley Schutzhund Club USA
Bill Cassell
HCR 38, Box 159
Las Vegas, NV 89166
702-645-3254

Las Vegas Schutzhund Club
Moriah Ochoa
5904 Paseo Montana
Las Vegas, NV 89108

If you do want to pursue Schutzhund, I would go out and watch the club work a few times.

Good luck.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks you, the other thing I was worried about was having a puppy shipped to you. Do you know anyone that has had experience with this?
Shipping is not generally an issue. Certain airlines do not even have heat restrictions, and the puppies tend to travel very well. It is about $ 270-300 to ship an 8-week-old puppy, which includes health certificate and crate.

HOWEVER, reputable breeders will want to meet you. They are not just going to ship a puppy to someone they have not met, especially not if they are new to the breed. I have never considered traveling to meet a future puppy a hassle and do not shy away from that expense. It is money well spent.

Beware of breeders who advertise they will ship ANYWHERE. Some of them appear like online catalogs to me - BAD!

Check out Schutzhund first before you decide to buy a working prospect. Most people don't realize the time that goes into this sport.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Check out Schutzhund first before you decide to buy a working prospect. Most people don't realize the time that goes into this sport.
Not only is the time requirement incredibly high, but I often warn people that working prospects tend to be a little more of a "challenge" to live with day to day, and many people do not need or really WANT the type of dog that is going to make a good working dog. Be careful what you wish for...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Good luck on your search and welcome to DT.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Welcome to DT from PA! Kudos on doing your research - this is a great place to learn...so many knowledgeable people to offer advice.

P.S. - I'm a huge fan of Ramsey & Pablo too. I've always wondered who Ramsey's breeder was...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Lots of good information has all ready been provided. My comment would be simply this -- You can attempt to go for the "best breeding" based on recommendations and research, but there are NO guarantees relative to size, health, or temperament.

Genetic throwbacks do happen. All you can do is make the best possible informed decision based on facts you have obtained.

BTW, Julia's posts are most helpful. She's provided you great detail!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
There is a breeder in the Las Vegas area that breeds some very nice Dobes, their kennel name is Pennylane Doberman. I do not know them personally, but i have seen a few Dobes of their breeding and they were fine examples of the breed.

Pennylane Dobes > Home

Good luck in your search for just the right DOberman pup for you and your family.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts