Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize that stacking is very important in determining how your doberman conforms to the standard and seeing the physical characteristics of the body structure. I have not found any guidelines to properly "stack" the dog that I really understand fully and would like to know how to properly "stack" my poochy. What would be the best way to start and how do I determine the proper feet position to get the proper anglation? I have seen alot of pictures of good "stacks", but still not sure of how to get that position each and everytime.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
OMG Kratty it would be easier to explain the meaning of life:help_up_2 , i'll begin with a pic of Tia's dad doing his"show thing" brilliantly as usual.

Notice how his front legs and his hocks are bolt upright,most people i know use treats but you could use her favourite toy ,first move is to walk her square in front of you, some dobes will naturally move almost into position but most will need a little placing with the feet,remember most show dog are taught this from the time they can stand,see Tia at 5 weeks old>>>

using the bait or toy and giving the command "stand" place her front paws in a position so her front legs are straight,(this is where it gets tricky) remembering that most people are down on one knee with the dog in front of them,you place her back paws in a position so that her hocks are also in the straight up position the hardest part is to stop the dog walking forward to the said treat or toy(don't know if you have done a stand stay in OB but if you have that helps)this is usually done with treat in right hand and left hand doing the placing,you also need to use the treat or toy to move her head in to the right position to make her neck straight(no wrinkled skin around the withers area)i think i have been lucky with Tia because i give her the leave command and she just stares at the treat till her eye's must hurt(just to make sure it doesn't run away you see)so she holds position really well.
i dont think for a minute this will help you really need someone to show you,and maybe its done different over there.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Kratty, it shouldn't be too hard to teach your Doberman how to stack.
A large full mirror is helpful when you are first learning. Also you will want some cookies and a properly fitted show lead.

The way I learned to stack was from watching others and getting one on one lessons from a show handler/breeder. She personally taught me how to show several Dobes and I must say hands on experience is much better than reading about how to stack a dog. How you get a dog to stack properly varies with each dog since some require more work than others to get it right. But things like stance and placement of the feet, etc. seem pretty constant.

Some dogs stack naturally better than others. I know of a bitch who stacked like a dream naturally on her own. She was so easy to show. Her brother on the other hand was like a bucking bronco and was much harder to handle.

If you have a dog club around your area most offer conformation classes. These classes can be very helpful in learning to stack and gait your dog.

One dog club I used to belong to had a conformation class that you paid for each session. That was nice for people to just drop in and take a few classes without having to commit to an entire session.

DPCA has some good articles on learning how to stack a dog.
http://www.dpca-breedered.com/article_menu.htm and go to the conformation box to find stacking articles.

·
Registered
521 Posts
When you practice stacking us a big mirror. So you can see how Kratty is stacking that is a great tool. Brum explained it very well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would like to point out they stack different in Canada/US and Europe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.