Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my boyfriend and I have finally decided on getting a Doberman (he's a previous dobe owner, and I myself have experience with Sheppards, Huskies, Pittbulls)

Now before we go pick out a puppy (once we find our breeder), we would like to find a good vet besides Dr Staples in Ontario. He is just too far and it wouldn't be fair to coop a puppy up on such a long car drive (I live in North Bay).

Also any good breeders you guys know of off the top of your head?
:thanx:

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hi! Welcome from below, in the states!

Your breeder should be the one worrying about the crop, not you. :)
Hopefully some Canadians will chime in and make some breeder suggestions!

Good luck on your search!
:wavey:

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
I don't know of any in North Bay area.

Your probably best to see a reputable breeder where they take care of docking and cropping and can teach you how to post and care for afterwards and offer support throughout the dogs life.

For Ontario, Gatehouse or Di Ravallese.

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
What are you looking for? Family pet? Working dog? Sports?

A good breeder will crop the pup for you - you do not need to worry about travelling to the vet yourself.

Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada
Dobermann Di Ravallese -- Home Page Dobermann Di Ravallese -- Home Page
Dobereich Home, Doberman Pinscher Breeder, Pug Breeder Dobereich Home, Doberman Pinscher Breeder, Pug Breeder
WRATH-LIBERATOR DOBERMANS Perm Reg'd WRATH-LIBERATOR DOBERMANS Perm Reg'd
Hausenbrook Dobermans Home - Hausenbrook Dobermans
Gatehouse Dobermanshome

Good Luck on your search!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Cropping puppies and caring for freshly cropped ears shouldn't be left to a new owner, small mistakes can leave permanent damage, because of this reputable breeders don't risk the health of their puppies and make sure the healing and first posting is taken care of.

Please make sure to support ethical practices by supporting a breeder who takes care of the cropping themselves.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT!

It's AWESOME that you haven't found a breeder yet because your options are wide open to you. The previous posters are correct in their posts, an ethical/reputable breeder will send their puppies homed already cropped (cropped beautifully, might I add) so that you don't have to worry about going through all of that! They will also be able to pick out the PERFECT puppy for you based on whatever it is you want in a dog.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If you go with a good breeder, you won't have to worry about the ear crop, it will already be done, as well as many other things.

I don't really *know* any Canadian breeders, but you have gotten good recommendations. My boy is sired by one of the Wrath-Liberator dogs, and I have met Maura (Gatehouse) and several of her dogs. Nice lady and great dogs.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Welcome to DT, you have received great advice here, Dr. Staples is the best ear cropper in Ontario, you want a pup that has had their ears done by him. And has been said, reputable breeders have the ears done before pups ever go to their new homes. If you want to meet some dobes up in your area, I have an owner in North Bay and she works with someone who has a dobe from Di Ravallese. Could be a chance to see what is being offered and take to other pet owners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts