Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, everyone. I joined this site a couple of months ago to ask for advice on adopting our new Dobe. I kept meaning to come back and give you all an update, but life kept getting in the way, and now I'm a bit embarrassed to be coming here to ask about finding a new home for her, but, there it is.

Basically, she's just not working out well for our home and lifestyle. She gets along well with the other dog, the Shar-Pei mix, but she's kind of 50/50 around other dogs. I tried obedience training, but felt I was getting nowhere. I'm sure there's something she will respond well to, but it's not a prong collar, choke chain, or even treats. She has a very high alert level, so much so that I have literally had a guy in a car stop while I was out walking her, and comment to me out his window that he had never seen a dog that was so alert. And that's probably the heart of the matter - she does not settle down.

In any case, we're looking to find a good home or even a rescue for her. I've contacted the three Dobe organizations I can find here in SoCal (DobeSOS, DobermanRescue.net, and DobieRescue.net), but I know that you folks here will probably have the best up-to-date info I could ask for. (We're also going to give the other dog up for adoption, but I'm not sure if I should make that a package deal or not. He may be the tougher sell, in any case, being a mix, rather than having a built-in community of Dobe lovers.)

So, that's my question. In the right home, I'm sure she'll be a great dog. For us, though, our space and time is more limited than I thought it would be, so we owe it to her to find a better arrangement for her.

Edit: Fixed a typo. I hate typos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, yes, we're giving up both of them. I'm at least trying to do it the right way, making sure they go to places that will place them responsibly. It's looking like we're going to take Lucy to Doberman Rescue, L.A.. I'm hoping to be able to visit them today.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday. She is at least in much better health than she was when we got her.

Attachments

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Is there a reason why your dobe must be 100% with all strange dogs?

Why is the other dog not working out? I would contact Shar-pei rescues. Many breed-specific rescues will help mixes of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the "50/50" comment was just sort of an offhand remark, but it does betray the fact that it makes it pretty hard to calmly walk them when there are other dogs around (which happens a lot in our neighborhood). And it made the obedience class hell, frankly. We tried hanging out toward the back of the group, that kind of thing, but her excitement level was off the charts, and it sort of disrupted the whole class, not to mention her getting anything out of it.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Well, the "50/50" comment was just sort of an offhand remark, but it does betray the fact that it makes it pretty hard to calmly walk them when there are other dogs around (which happens a lot in our neighborhood). And it made the obedience class hell, frankly. We tried hanging out toward the back of the group, that kind of thing, but her excitement level was off the charts, and it sort of disrupted the whole class, not to mention her getting anything out of it.
So you're giving her up because it's difficult to have a calm walk? I hope her next owners have a bigger heart with greater patience. It took months before my boy stopped trying to attack dogs from a block away, much money with a private trainer, and two years before he was able to be on lead in a group class and pass his CGC. A bit after that, he was able to be on lead in a group class for agility, and now he's completely off lead (it's been nearly three years) in agility class. He's still very nervous and on super alert when we're on walks, and it really works him up if another dog gives stink eye back, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. Training takes time, effort, and a lot of dedication.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
So you're giving her up because it's difficult to have a calm walk? I hope her next owners have a bigger heart with greater patience. It took months before my boy stopped trying to attack dogs from a block away, much money with a private trainer, and two years before he was able to be on lead in a group class and pass his CGC. A bit after that, he was able to be on lead in a group class for agility, and now he's completely off lead (it's been nearly three years) in agility class. He's still very nervous and on super alert when we're on walks, and it really works him up if another dog gives stink eye back, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. Training takes time, effort, and a lot of dedication.
Amen!
I'm sure it's not as simple as the post makes it seem... I hope it's not as simple as the post makes it seem. But you've had them for what, two months? I hope you don't go about adopting other dogs. They've grown to trust you and just handing them off again is so sad.

·
Censored
716 Posts
It sounds like you already took Lucy to a rescue but I personally know the lady who runs this rescue organization:
About Us
and she has a heart of gold.

I hope your pups find their forever homes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course there's more to it than just the walking, and I knew I was opening myself up to criticism by coming back and asking this. And, no, we won't be getting another dog. Trust me, I feel pretty stupid about the whole thing and have learned that perhaps I'm not as good a dog owner as I thought I would be. But the whole situation is adding a lot of stress to our household and stressing the dogs, too, so it's really for the best.

Thanks, Annolyn. I've been talking with them about taking Lucy, and the good rec is much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts