Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rescued 4yr old female Dobe that I have had a little over 2 months. Her background is a little sketchy, divorce & bad placements & she was consequently in 3 homes in 2 months before we got her. She was apparently trained with German Commands & seems to be very smart. My problem is this: I can't seem to get her to TELL me when she has to go outside to pee & poop. She seems to be able to hold it pretty long...but she has peed in the house on several occasions when were right there. (only a few poop accidents). I have a bell on the door & have been trying to train her to ring the bell to go outside & also reward when she does go potty outside. It seems to me that a dog this well trained should be able to let me know when she needs to go outside? She also gets VERY distracted outside by other animals/birds/noises, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any German "Potty" Commands I can try while outside to re-focus her? I am trying to remain patient because of her background but I feel like she should have settled in by now. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! THANKS! ~Donna

·
Registered
609 Posts
Why not start from square one. If she is smart she will catch on. Dogs don't speak a language they speak in behaviors. My boy knows most of his basic commands in at least 2 languages. To him they are a sound referencing a behavior that is expected.

Never heard of German commands for potty. Its not like the dog will not eliminate unless you give a command.(if i'm wrong then that is one impressive dog) Just start giving whatever command you want to her whenever you take her to potty. When she goes give praise while repeating the command. Treat her like a new puppy that your house training.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ever since I saw a friend use the go potty command on her dog back in the mid 90s, every dog I've had since knew that command. Sometimes I just need him to focus on the task at hand when I'm in a hurry.

I actually separate the commands into "go potty" and "go poo" so he knows we're still waiting for him to go poo before we head back inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS! Yes...I have been doing this as well. Ringing the bell on the door each time I take her out & saying go "Pee Pee" and go "Poo Pee" & "Good Pee Pee & Good Poo Pee" with treats each time she goes outside. We are making progress but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a German Command that might help her understand what is expected.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I think watching her like a hawk and starting from square one might work better for you than trying to guess what her cue once was.

For instance, I'll frequently tell Elka "Smoke 'em if you got 'em", which I would hesitate to call conventional. Though she doesn't know German commands either.

(well, we're working on "platz" and "fuss" [because "heel" means on the right, so "fuss" is on the left]).

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Maybe a trip to the library to check out a German/English dictionary?

Reactions: GingerGunlock

·
Registered
974 Posts
poopen zei, schnell!!!!!
oh my gosh this made me chuckle.

With reference to the commands thought I have never heard any specific words that Germans use to encourage their dogs to do their business. As for the German commands in general its a pain. Most of them are the same or similar sounding anyway, you just need to sound German when you same them!! lol my here command to Odin actually makes me sound like a German these days!!

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
My husband has always used the words, Do big girl when Roxy is outside with him for the final bathroom trip before going to bed, however with me those words don't word as I have always used go potty. She figured it out her herself.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
From Google translate:

Gehen Topfchen
Gassi gehen
Um topfchen
Topfchen

Umlaut over the O in topfchen in all cases.

I have no clue what the individual words mean, so I hope and pray Google has not given me vulgar terms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts