Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
9,166 Posts
Hello again,

I seem to have an apology of my own to make. I was reading back the thread above and saw on Ms. Fitzmar's reply the link to Joe Black Has Grove website which I failed to notice before when reading her message (mostly I was seeing "red"). I now opened the link and that is my precious boy Joe Black. I did not know he had descendancy, much less that he was being advertised on the web as a stud. My sweet boy was always so simple with me I had no idea. No wonder he loved the beach so much. Here I was thinking I had introduced him to it. In any case, I can see how the entire stirring began as his name came up and his website was accessed. I still don't know what exactly was wrong with the Erickson Breeders. I never got that answered. If someone would care to give me the particulars I would appreciate it. At this point it just becomes background information as to my precious boy, although much belated.

I do, however, sincerely apologize for all the confusion. Had I open the Joe Black's website when first provided by Ms. Fitzmar, it would have saved a lot of time, words and hurt feelings. Unfortunately, I was "seeing red" there for a while. Like I say in my previous post, we (I included) would do well to learn from our beloved pets to listen and love as well and humbly as they do.

It was both good and sad to see my baby's pictures. You have to admit he was BEAUTIFUL outside and he was so much more so inside.

Bukita.
The internet is a strange place! My condolences on the loss of your boy - we never have them long enough. If you feel that a reputable breeder is out of your range, then I would suggest looking at rescues. Some very lovely dogs in need of good homes come through them. You might want to let the forum know where you live so that we could make suggestions about where to look.

· Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKA, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,776 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of your boy. RIP and run free sweet Joe Black. Bukita, hope you stick around. Tons of good information on the forum. Best of luck in your search for another Dobe to love and care for.

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Im very sorry for your loss! As others have said, we are passionate about not supporting back yard breeders - again, that's why people jumped on this so quick. Hopefully you will find another dobebaby soon - good luck in your search.

Reactions: Sinister

· Registered
4,219 Posts
So glad you popped back in. You may be able to find a dog a year or two in age from a ethical breeder that didn't turn out as an intended show prospect if rescue doesn't have something suitable for you.

My advise is if you really want a puppy, take some time to save $1500-2000 for the puppy plus another $2000 for dog health fund and get a puppy from a breeder that breeds for betterment, not just for profit.

I have two dobes from a pet breeder and one from a conformation breeder and let me tell you when they are all in the same room, it is obvious which came from where. All have wonderful personalities, but based on structure and soundness, the ones from the hobby breeder fall so short of what they should be. Even my other half notices the difference in structure and movement between them and these are the first dogs he's ever lived with.

Again, so sorry for your loss, it does take time for the hurt and sadness to go away. Best of luck in your search for your new dobe.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Also, if you want a puppy let everyone know where you are. There are DOZENS of Doberman rescue groups. Many have puppies. If you are along the Gulf Coast anywhere, check out GulfCoastDobermanRescue.org. Font and center on the page is our sweet lil' Beanie. Adorable, adoptable dober-pup.

· Censored
716 Posts
Oh wow, did this thread take me by surprise. It has also taken me back into my past... I feel as I am part of the DT community, I must elucidate.

Joe Black has Groove was my first Doberman. I was 18 and purchased him from Beth and Chad Erickson outside of Wilsonville, OR (I believe). I was brand new to the world of purebred dogs and as most of us are, quite taken by the beauty of the Doberman. I wasn't aware of all that went into breeding dobermans at the time, I did some research and relied on his breeders as my mentors. Which was my first mistake. I know they did minimal health testing on their breeding stock and did absolutely nothing to attempt to title their dogs. I did realize my mistake but not until much later down the road.
I was approached by a young couple with a beautiful red "marienburg" bitch who wanted to use Joe as stud. I worked at a vet clinic and began looking into health testing him. I did put him through all the health tests and once the people who owned the bitch did too, we allowed them to breed.
I like to say I was young and naive and please don't hate me DT community because I have learned a lot since then and would never do such a thing again. I have very minimal aspirations to become a doberman breeder and if I ever take on such a huge responsibility, it will be done the proper way... though I honestly don't think I ever will.
Two years later the same people who owned that bitch asked if Joe could be used as stud again to sire another litter and a man from Wyoming also contacted me to see about using Joe as stud. He sired a total of three litters. I kept in good contact with the owners of the puppies from the "marienburg" bitch... and I say "marienburg" because after doing research on her pedigree I realized the marienburg breeding was quite a ways back. Though I desired to stay in contact with all the puppy purchasers from the breeding with the Wyoming bitch, the owner of her never really gave me the opportunity.
After that, Joe was neutered. As far as I am aware, all the puppies out of the "marienburg" bitch were spayed and neutered. Many had their surgeries done at the clinic I worked at.
That website was set up years ago when I was still with my ex, Brian Julian, and it is quite the shock to see my name associated with him after all these years. It actually should be taken down.
Ember was never bred. She was spayed. Which I am glad she never produced any litters because at least I don't have that riding on me as well.
I had set that website up but shortly after, neutered Joe... I actually did have a lady contact me asking about using him for stud and I was surprised by that... again, forgot it even existed.
Anyway, I hate to be associated with being a backyard breeder. But more importantly, I need to explain what happened with Joe...

Brian and I moved to California and shortly after we split. He took Ember and I took Joe. I lived in a townhouse and the owner was okay with Joe... initially. Joe didn't take so well to living in a townhouse, he would bark at the door all day long because the townhouse I lived in was situated right next to the main gate. He was stressed and i felt really bad for him as he was used to having much more space. I immediately got a trainer and started working with him but unfortunately the owner of the townhouse was growing less and less patient. I couldn't afford to break my lease and started blocking Joe off from most of the townhouse while I was at work during the day but he hated this and I could see him stressing. I felt like I was running out of options and felt incredibly overwhelmed by the idea of having to find a new home for Joe so I contacted Ardis with Doberman Rescue and started asking about having him placed with a new family that could give him what he needed.
Ardis is probably one of my favorite people in this entire world. She consoled me and said she had two homes in mind after I explained my situation to her. I am so glad she was there for me.
I drove him to her home in Fillmore with all his belongings, and that was one of the worst nights of my life. I cried so hard for so long and still cry. A matter of fact, I had to stop crying before I could write this post.

To the OP, thank you so much for giving Joe Black an amazing home for the last years of his life. I am so glad to hear that he was healthy up until the last two months. I always pondered that. I feel and share your pain. I look at his pictures and miss him so much. Just because I had to give him up doesn't mean I didn't care. I cared so much for him and did the best I could for him. Unfortunately sometimes life takes an unexpected turn. Had I known I would have ended up losing my best friend, I would have never moved to Los Angeles and would have stayed in Portland, OR.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart. He really was a sweet boy and has a special place in my heart because he was my first dobe and introduced me to this amazing breed.

I should like to write to you more and send you some stories from when he was a puppy if you want. I know you are in the process of healing and when you are ready, let me know.

To the DT community, don't beat me up... I learned my lesson.

· Censored
716 Posts
oh and about the "Foxfire" dobes on Joe's pedigree... I contact Michelle of the real Foxfire Dobermans and was quite disappointed (at the time) to learn that none of those dogs on Joe's pedigree were of any relation to hers. She said she had heard about this other breeder and said he was in Idaho... but those dogs were quite a ways back on Joe's pedigree and I don't think he is breeding dobes any more.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.