Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a black and rust female puppy that has not had her tail docked or ears cropped. So far, the breeders I've approached have been unwilling to sell one with an un-docked tail. This dog will be used for protection and as a a companion dog for my family with small children. Do any of you have any suggestions on where I might find one?

We are located in NW Florida.

Thanks very much!

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
Your best bets would be to rescue, contact a working line breeder (just be aware that a working line dog can be "a lot of dog"), or to import from somewhere where docking and cropping isn't done (England, for example). Your chances of getting a reputable, ethical show line breeder in the States to sell an all natural puppy are pretty much slim to none at the moment.

I, for one, look forward to the day when I can get a well bred, all natural Dobe.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Do you know what our standard is for the Doberman Pincher here in the USA?
Just wondering.
Do you criticize working breeders who title and health test, for leaving Dobermans all natural?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you criticize working breeders who title and health test, for leaving Dobermans all natural?

Just wondering.
No I do not, if they are true working dogs and trail overseas, but here we should stay within our standard and that is cropping and docking. You talk about rep.breeders here, well, they don't let their puppies go unless they are c/d or is there something that I am missing here?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
No I do not, if they are true working dogs and trail overseas, but here we should stay within our standard and that is cropping and docking. You talk about rep.breeders here, well, they don't let their puppies go unless they are c/d or is there something that I am missing here?
Some good breeders do indeed let pups go natural, or with natural ears. It's sure not the single criterion by which I'd assess someone's breeding program.

Some Americans are tired of surgery being so touted as part of "the standard."

It would be one thing to say we want to breed in a hare foot or a snipey muzzle or some silliness like that--just be nice to have the choice for a natural ear and tail not being penalized. A good dog is a good dog is a good dog, factory original parts or no.

Yes I can spell, it was just a typo, like you haven't made any in your life time, or are you just wanting to start something up?

You're the one who is stirring, are you not?

You came onto a brand new person's thread and asked them if they even knew the breed standard.

Not very helpful or welcoming.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some good breeders do indeed let pups go natural, or with natural ears. It's sure not the single criterion by which I'd assess someone's breeding program.

Some Americans are tired of surgery being so touted as part of "the standard."

It would be one thing to say we want to breed in a hare foot or a snipey muzzle or some silliness like that--just be nice to have the choice for a natural ear and tail not being penalized. A good dog is a good dog is a good dog, factory original parts or no.

You're the one who is stirring, are you not?

You came onto a brand new person's thread and asked them if they even knew the breed standard.

Not very helpful or welcoming.
No I am not trying to stir anything up, I just ask a question, if the new person doesn't know what the standard is, if living in the USA should look at the DPCA for the standard for our breed. If they live else were they should look to the standard of their country, since most are changing or have changed.

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
No I am not trying to stir anything up, I just ask a question, if the new person doesn't know what the standard is, if living in the USA should look at the DPCA for the standard for our breed. If they live else were they should look to the standard of their country, since most are changing or have changed.

What does it matter, several people on the forums are aware of the 'Standard' yet would purchase a pup au natural if they could. Personal preference has no bearing on 'standard'

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
What does it matter, several people on the forums are aware of the 'Standard' yet would purchase a pup au natural if they could. Personal preference has no bearing on 'standard'
Isn't that kind of like getting a pointer but wanting it cropped because you like the look of cropped ears?

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Isn't that kind of like getting a pointer but wanting it cropped because you like the look of cropped ears?
Yes/no

A pointer has never been cropped so your point is there, I don't think it translates.

·
Premium Member
8,372 Posts
I'm looking for a black and rust female puppy that has not had her tail docked or ears cropped. So far, the breeders I've approached have been unwilling to sell one with an un-docked tail. This dog will be used for protection and as a a companion dog for my family with small children. Do any of you have any suggestions on where I might find one?

We are located in NW Florida.

Thanks very much!
I don't think it is difficult to find a breeder that will leave ears natural... as long as you don't care if it comes from a really good breeder... which you should care IMHO. However, even most bybers have the tails done within 5 days of birth unless they are so ignorant that they thought they were born without tails..... and I will say that there are plenty of people out there that have no idea that a Doberman is born with a long tail.

Some working breeders will leave puppies all natural, but these are not generally dogs that would do well in the average pet home. Importing a dog is an option, but again... really good breeders in any country are careful of who they sell to - so most breeders who would ship a puppy overseas to an unknown person, would not be very reputable IMHO.

There are a few good breeders that will leave a puppy uncropped, but they are few and far between. I personally have never done so, and I'd have to really know and trust a person before considering it. Kinda a moot point since I don't breed very often anyway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I can see not being able to find a Doberman that was not docked but you should be able to find one that is not cropped as that is not done till they are older and the breeder should be able to tell if a pup is going to be good enough to show or not.

·
Super Moderator
21,300 Posts
I don't know if you'll be able to find a Doberman with a tail in the US. I do know of a few breeders that have, in the past, placed well bred pups with natural ears:

Jesaran Dobermans
BJF Dobermans
Sabri Dobermans

·
Registered
807 Posts
I found my girl at a shelter undocked and uncropped. She manage to escape whatever BYB had left her intact. I see them now and again in the rescues. If your looking to spend cash, I would import, but calling around and asking wouldn't hurt. Don't go the BYB route please. I love my rescue girl to bits, but she's had a few health issues that have made her pretty expensive. I've spent way more on vet bills getting her to good health than I would have on a show quality pup.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you really want a dog with natural ears and tail that is capable of "being used for protection" you might want to consider a protection breed that is typically left natural. There are many working breeds that can meet your requirements of natural ears and natural tail with the ability to protect while being a loyal family companion. German Shepherds are very nice dogs.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts