Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago a few tiny bumps almost pimple like started showing up around Daisy's upper front leg. Didn't think much of it. Then more appeared so off to the vets. Allergies was the first thing that came to them. So they said to give here Claritin twice a day, so we did and things were looking better.
Then they come back again, so back to the vet, try a different good that doesn't have chicken, so we did and this time i also gave her salmon oil in her food. No change.
One week ago the vet said to put her on a hydrolyzed diet which is for dogs with bad allergies to certain high protein dog food, give it to her for 8 weeks and nothing else in order to clean out her system of all other foods she may have eaten that could have irritated here skin. Now a week and and half later there is no change , actually it looks like it may have gotten a little worse. Daisy is now 16 months old.
Has anyone seen this before on there Dobermans or may know what it is? Dog Cloud Comfort Working animal Gesture
Dog Carnivore Working animal Dog breed Ear

·
Premium Member
8,624 Posts
If you can get a vet dermatologist appointment do so. I do not waste my time with skin problems on my dobermans by going to a regular vet. Regular vets are always a hit and miss with skin issues a Vet Dermatologist sees skin problems on a daily basis. You may spend more money however you are not wasting your time, your money and your dog's health

·
Registered
13 Posts
I to have a 15 month old blue female Dobie named Daisy. She has CDA, after several regular vet visits I went to a Dermatologist for an answer. I wish I had found the DT forum sooner! Your girl's condition does not look like my Diasy's.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looks enough like staph infection to comment. Not a vet. You can start by washing the area thoroughly with chlorhexidine antimicrobial/ antifungal soap then vinegar and water spray to restore ph balance. Loki had some (not as many) that looked a lot like these: we never went to the vet. They do not pop up much anymore but if they do a swab of the soap usually kills whatever it is...We just followed common wisdom and tried a few seemingly harmless routes 1st. If you do wind up on anti-biotic be sure to get enough of a regimen and do all of it.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I will be taking Daisy back to the vets today, and discuss the possibility of staph infection, see what comes of that. The more i research staph infection the more it seems to fit what she has.
Great!
I was surprised that my vets didn’t mention staph to me - I had to tell them. I was also surprised at how old Beau was when it became an issue. Please keep us posted and tell Daisy, it is rude to stick her tongue out. 😁❤

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The visit to the vet was good, we spoke about staph and way to treat it. For now they gave me a topical antibiotic that i put on Daisy 3 times a week. It has chlorhexidine and it's in a mousse spray bottle. If this doesn't work the next step is a oral antibiotic.
On a brighter note here she is without her tongue sticking out Brown Dog Furniture Couch Comfort
lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts