Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Dakota is one more adjustment from outgrowing the flat, buckle, nylon collar I bought for her when we got her at 9 weeks old. She is 15 weeks old today. I have noticed that the collar has rubbed her hair thin underneath her neck. This is not from pulling as we don't attach the leash to this collar, but must be from everyday wear. Would a rolled collar be better choice for her next collar? I am guessing this will be another interim collar, so I don't want to invest too much into it (please no $50 collar suggestions). Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
I really like Andrea's collars (dogs-art Home). Leather backed so they are soft on the neck, and really well made.

Edited to add: mine also go collarless when we are in the house.

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Odin is 14 weeks and has the same thing but he is also collarless inside the house unless we go out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I admit, this idea of being in the collarless in the house is foreign to me, as we have always kept a collar on our older dog (didn't have any issues with his hair). Do you put a collar on every time you let them out into the backyard?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I agree with others, collarless in the house is the best idea. Strangulation when unsupervised is a VERY real danger. I recently heard of a dog catching their collar on a doorknob or something of the sort, the family came home to their dogs body... hanging there, its graphic, but retelling it could save a dog's life.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I have a fenced in yard, so they don't wear collars in the yard, just when we go on outings :)

I admit, this idea of being in the collarless in the house is foreign to me, as we have always kept a collar on our older dog (didn't have any issues with his hair). Do you put a collar on every time you let them out into the backyard?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a fenced in yard, so they don't wear collars in the yard, just when we go on outings :)
Ours is fenced too....I guess I am always thinking worst case scenario, somehow they get loose without a collar on. My dogs are not microchipped, which I had been thinking of doing soon. Guess I need to think of the worst case scenario in having a collar on in the house too, like the story that was shared, so sad. Thanks for the links to the collar sites, really great collars on both!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy's 3/4" wide nylon collar with metal clip is on 24/7...rated at 1200 lb. break strength...springs are stainless steel.
- the quality of these SPECTRA collars, are great...never any neck hair rubbed off...lasts many years

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 10 of 10 Posts