Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Tacoma WA and have had a hard time finding exactly what I am looking for. If anyone knows a dog that fits this description in a rescue group or knows of a breeder around my area that would be much appreciated! Sorry I am new to this forum so I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong area :/

Thanks in advance!- Kelsey A.

·
Storm's Mom
118 Posts
There is a rescue group located in Seattle that has some Dobe's up for adoption. Rescue is always a great option! There are many Dobe's that are in need of a loving home.
Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue
Just please research very thoroughly if you decide to get a pup from a breeder. There are many people here on this forum that are from the area and have tons of experience as well as wonderful dogs. So far you've made a great first step in deciding to ask for help. Be careful about some of the breeders in the Tacoma area. Pups of any kind are cute, but ones that have health tested parents are a better pick than a pup whose breeder knows nothing about the parents health history. There are a lot of health problems in the breed that should be tested for to ensure that a pup can live the longest, healthiest life possible. Good breeders also title their dogs in some sort of venue to prove it's worthiness to be bred. There's so much you can learn from just going over different threads and asking questions. I wish you luck in finding a pup! I'm in the Tacoma area as well and there's TONS of Doberman folks out here! We also have a really nice club you may be interested in joining. One more thing, please stay away from Orting in your search for a pup, if that's what you decide. It's best to wait for the perfect dog than to go buy immediately and end up with a ton of health problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I have actually already contacted that group with my application. I had found a dog with exactly what I'm looking for but someone is in front of me in line and so it looks like he already has a home. I have been trying to find some reputable breeders in WA that dont charge $1000+ of a dog because that is out of my budget.. I don't mind driving a bit, I'm just having a hard time finding any breeders that have any pups on the way soon... I have done quite a bit of research on the breed so I'm feeling pretty comfortable about that.

I refuse to impulse buy a dog, especially since it could mean more money out of pocket in the end if they have health problems. I know it will be worth the wait in the end, just trying to get a feel for all the breeders in this general area :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Good for you for doing your research. You're right, it will take some patience. Most reputable breeders only breed once or twice a year; and that's because they're looking to express a certain trait with their lines.

If you're interested in going the breeder route, expect to wait on a list from 6 months up to 2 years. Adoption is a fantastic option, especially if you don't have much cash.

I do want to warn you though, that Dobermans are a breed suceptible to genetic disease and other health problems. Please be sure that you have a healthy cushion of cash to treat your dog if you decide to go that route. Also, are you planning on getting a cropped puppy? If so, you must also consider the supplies for re-posting for 6 months or so.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way I would be interested in finding out more about the club you mentioned! Also, are there any other forum sections I should post this ad on that would get more responses? I'm new to this website and don't exactly know how to navigate through it well haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you MsMoppett. I have thought this through and have planned to immediately get pet insurance for him just to be on the safe side. As far as breeding goes that is far more often than I thought they bred. Some of the breeders I have researched are waiting at least a few years in between! Good to know. That makes me feel better!

As far as the wait goes, that is fine with me. I do want him to be cropped and docked so I have taken that into consideration as far as extra costs goes.

What is the general price a breeder will charge for a pup? It is never listed on their sites although I have contacted a few about it recently..

Thanks- Kelsey

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
Thank you MsMoppett. I have thought this through and have planned to immediately get pet insurance for him just to be on the safe side. As far as breeding goes that is far more often than I thought they bred. Some of the breeders I have researched are waiting at least a few years in between! Good to know. That makes me feel better!

As far as the wait goes, that is fine with me. I do want him to be cropped and docked so I have taken that into consideration as far as extra costs goes.

What is the general price a breeder will charge for a pup? It is never listed on their sites although I have contacted a few about it recently..

Thanks- Kelsey
Hey Kelsey, welcome to the forum!

I can say you're looking at spending anywhere from $1,500-$2,500 average when dealing with a reputable breeder. As has been mentioned, this is not a healthy breed and the cost of the many health screenings that need to be done are expensive. No reputable breeder makes money off their pups, they're lucky if they break even. You can certainly find pups for cheaper, but you will likely make up the cost in vet trips with a poorly bred dog and then the agony of your beloved pet being ill, or dying sooner...well you'll find yourself thinking back at $2000 as a bargain.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the perfect Dobe for you!

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thanks- Kelsey
You can expect to pay $1,500 - $2,500 for a puppy and a reputable breeder will already take care of docking and cropping before sending the puppy home.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can expect to pay $1,500 - $2,500 for a puppy and a reputable breeder will already take care of docking and cropping before sending the puppy home.
Alright thank you! :) I can't wait to find a breeder and get my puppy loving on! I work at a doggy daycare so I'm excited to have that in and be able to socialize him while I am working. I have my eyes peeled!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You really need $1000 buffer to get you thru the first year if you get a puppy. You might not need all of it, but it would be best to have it. That said I really dont know what all insurance covers, but be sure to check their exclusions. You dont want a policy that excludes herditery conditions. You might start a thread asking about polices right before you get your pup. Good luck, there are lots of good breeders up your way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that sounds completely understandable for puppy costs. My problem right now seems to be finding a breeder around this area that sells them for less than $2000... I was really hoping to keep it down towards the $1,500 range since I am only wanting the dog for companionship, not breeding or showing or anything of that nature. :/

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You might put your name in for a breeder rehome. Sometimes they recieve puppies back because the new family is going thru a divorce or similar or they find homes for champions they decide not to breed from. Maybe he or she doesn't produce like they hoped.

Puppies and dogs do come back occasionally thru no fault with their behavior.

The prices will vary and at times they are even free.

Don't ever go to less than stellar breeders to just look at a puppy...most times your are doomed.

Good luck to you.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts