Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get my 2nd doberman and would like to get the ears cropped on the new puppy. So if any one here knows where there is a good vet or breeder that I could use in Ontario that would great. Thanks

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I am about to get my 2nd doberman and would like to get the ears cropped on the new puppy. So if any one here knows where there is a good vet or breeder that I could use in Ontario that would great. Thanks
Dr. Staples in London is very good. Many breeders in Ontario use him, Jasmine had her ears cropped by him. Here is a picture,

·
Registered
280 Posts
My Gretchen just had her ears done by him the beginning of this month, as well!

Here is a shot the day of surgery :)
i like the way his stitches are, they aren't all big wads of stitch knots and in funky colours. just clean,consistant and he will do whatever style you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had my puppy's ears done by him. He did a great job with the cropping itself, but the customer service and after-care help is less than satisfactory. They told me when I picked her up from the surgery that they will be gone for two weeks vacation (aka, I'm out of luck for help with the aftercare, as NOBODY else in town does crops or deals with anything to do with them), among other things. I love the crop, but am not pleased with the service.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
His crops are very nice, but this sort of thing is exactly why most reputable breeders crop the ears themselves and keep the pups through the crucial first stages of the posting process.

Good luck with finding someone to help with aftercare. Cropping is illegal here, so I've never had the chance to own a cropped dog.

·
Extraordimary
4,946 Posts
But with all due respect, it was your breeder's responsibility to have this done and the puppy never should have gone home until it was done and the healing was done, and the breeder had the responsibility for immediate aftercare and to show you how to post the ears. Why aren't you blaming them? Or maybe getting into it with your own vet as to why they don't offer cropping?

People do take holidays, even vets.

The Staples practice is a nuthouse because so many of their clients aren't their clients. They have people coming literally from *everywhere* just for cropping because it's so hard to find. These people are often one-time clients that they are likely to never see again. The cost is extremely reasonable. They aren't making much off of that one-time client. Anyway, if anyone needs a holiday, it's that staff.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I Have not heard he is retiering any time soon.. I just asked him about that last year.. he said it was news to him .. ?

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
I just had my puppy's ears done by him. He did a great job with the cropping itself, but the customer service and after-care help is less than satisfactory. They told me when I picked her up from the surgery that they will be gone for two weeks vacation (aka, I'm out of luck for help with the aftercare, as NOBODY else in town does crops or deals with anything to do with them), among other things. I love the crop, but am not pleased with the service.
I agree with Mary on this one... that should be the breeder's responsibility, not the vets.

·
Registered
472 Posts
But with all due respect, it was your breeder's responsibility to have this done and the puppy never should have gone home until it was done and the healing was done, and the breeder had the responsibility for immediate aftercare and to show you how to post the ears. Why aren't you blaming them? Or maybe getting into it with your own vet as to why they don't offer cropping?

People do take holidays, even vets.

The Staples practice is a nuthouse because so many of their clients aren't their clients. They have people coming literally from *everywhere* just for cropping because it's so hard to find. These people are often one-time clients that they are likely to never see again. The cost is extremely reasonable. They aren't making much off of that one-time client. Anyway, if anyone needs a holiday, it's that staff.
There were many people that advised Thespill of this, but obviousley went with a breeder that doesn't crop pups. He got lots of advise where he can contact breeders near him that health test and crops for just $200 more plus the pup is CKC registered.

Now he is asking for help and we are picking up the pieces because we want to help the puppy.

TheSpill made an informed decision to take a pup that wasn't cropped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im getting my pups ears cropped from there,, I hear he is great, my last dobe was done in Edmonton and they put popsicle sticks in his ears and crazy glued them in,, took over 6 weeks to come out and they were infected. took a long time to heal.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts