Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got an apartment in Guelph for May 1st! YAY! :D

Now I figured I'd come to you guys first...Dakota is a "country dog," the place we live now is out in the boons and she's used to having acres and acres at her disposal. Not only that but we have the county forest right behind us so her walks are almost always off leash. Moving into a town is going to be an adjustment for all of us, but most of all her.

Can anyone recommend a private trainer in the Guelph area? I'd like to get some help with training her to heel, or even just walk loose leashed. I have tried to train her myself and have made some progress, but, and I take full blame, I've gotten lazy and she's a bad puller so it's just much easier to take her into the bush where she can run. I also have never trained a dog to heel before, so I can read until my face turns blue but at the end of the day I think I'll learn much better from seeing someone in action.

The other issue is leash reaction. I tried hard to socialize her and she is great with people, she can handle big crowds and city traffic no sweat, but when she sees another dog all she wants to do is get at them...well you know. I've been working on that too but it's not always easy to get into town for practice, and I'm no professional so I'd like to get some good input from someone who is.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Is there any way you can get started on her reactivity training now? It would make things go a lot smoother in my opinon before she might be flooded with new things.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get started now but I'm in my final weeks of school before graduation, finishing my thesis and trying to find a job so at best I could probably take her into town once a week.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So our moving date is now set for the 28th. I'll be done school this Friday(woohooo!) and I want to really work on helping her adjust to the city environment starting this week. I know it's really not a lot of time but it's all I've got so I have to work with it. I've been working on leashed walks but mostly around here; I've only had the chance to bring her into town twice since I last posted. So this is what my game plan is, and any input or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Starting Wednesday I want to bring her into town for walks. This week it'll be wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, then every day for the week before we move. I was thinking bring her to a different place each day, and focusing on suburb areas similar to where we will be moving, but also visit a park or two and the downtown strip. Take her for a walk, let her sniff and look around as much as she wants. Bring a new squeaky toy that I'm gonna go get today and these excursions will be the only time it comes out. Lots of treats and praise, and make the experience as fun as possible. If we see other dogs I'm hoping I'll be able to turn and walk the other way while they are still at a good distance to keep her from getting worked up. I was thinking I'd start with shorter walks, 20 minutes or so, and work them up to 40-60 minutes by next Friday.

I'm also considering buying a thundershirt for her, since I've heard really good things about them. Also planning on ordering Control Unleashed, but I'm gonna send it to my sister in the states to avoid the outrageous shipping cost, so we won't get it for a month or so.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where abouts do you live now? You can get thundershirts at Petsmart in Kitchener and waterloo, and Creature Comfort in Elmira.
Really? That's good to know, I thought I had to order one online! Right now I live close to Orangeville, well between Orangeville and Shelburne.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
The most important/crucial thing is to keep her under her threshold.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We got an apartment in Guelph for May 1st! YAY! :D

Now I figured I'd come to you guys first...Dakota is a "country dog," the place we live now is out in the boons and she's used to having acres and acres at her disposal. Not only that but we have the county forest right behind us so her walks are almost always off leash. Moving into a town is going to be an adjustment for all of us, but most of all her.

Can anyone recommend a private trainer in the Guelph area? I'd like to get some help with training her to heel, or even just walk loose leashed. I have tried to train her myself and have made some progress, but, and I take full blame, I've gotten lazy and she's a bad puller so it's just much easier to take her into the bush where she can run. I also have never trained a dog to heel before, so I can read until my face turns blue but at the end of the day I think I'll learn much better from seeing someone in action.

The other issue is leash reaction. I tried hard to socialize her and she is great with people, she can handle big crowds and city traffic no sweat, but when she sees another dog all she wants to do is get at them...well you know. I've been working on that too but it's not always easy to get into town for practice, and I'm no professional so I'd like to get some good input from someone who is.
I Pm'd you.... but I wanted to add, if she is leash reactive, etc and wants to get at another dog when she sees them... She needs group classes not private. Private can teach you what to do, but group classes will help you put it into play and work around other dogs. Other dogs serve as distractions too, so you would probably be better off in that situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts