Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need a behaviorist/trainer is the Lane County Area of OR. My 8 mo old pup is doing well with regular commands, but I need help with some behavior (fear, anxiety) issues. He pees when my BF plays with or calls him over, but only when I'm home! If I'm not there he's fine (wierd:confused:) I've looked online, but am a little leary of just hiring a random person, especially if they will be coming to my home, and I don't think the group obedience classes that are offered are what he needs for this specific issue. (he will be attending these as well, when I find one)

Thanks for any suggestions!!

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Hello,

I need a behaviorist/trainer is the Lane County Area of OR. My 8 mo old pup is doing well with regular commands, but I need help with some behavior (fear, anxiety) issues. He pees when my BF plays with or calls him over, but only when I'm home! If I'm not there he's fine (wierd:confused:) I've looked online, but am a little leary of just hiring a random person, especially if they will be coming to my home, and I don't think the group obedience classes that are offered are what he needs for this specific issue. (he will be attending these as well, when I find one)

sounds like submissive peeing. Interesting he only does it when you are home? does your BF play with him when you are not present? what is their relationship like? yours and his? if the pup sees BF as the strong alpha in your relationship, could explain the submissive peeing. Not sure what to do about it - I'm just thinking out loud.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
If you are looking for a board certified veterinary behaviorist, you can find one here: Find a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist ACVB

If you are looking more for a trainer, I'd start here: http://www.ccpdt.org/index.php?option=com_certificants&Itemid=102. Read a great entry on why certification matters here: https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/why-certification-matters/

If you can't find any of those close to you, then try here: Dog Trainer Search, but be sure to read their disclaimer and their entry on how to choose a trainer: How to Choose a Dog Trainer

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Ooooh - if you are close to Greta Kaplan GO TO HER!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dang Greta is too far away, we're in the southern end of the valley, near Eugene. I will be checking out the other sites though, Thanks for some good info...IF anyone else has suggestions please please please.....
and yes the BF is definitely the "alpha" in our home, I suspected it was a submissive action, just not sure why he does it only when I'm home

any thoughts on:
Nancy Yamin, Carol Rozek or Cindy Ehlers? these are the ones within my area

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
any thoughts on:
If it were me, I would call Greta anyway or email her and ask her for a referral. She's one of the few people I trust to work on my dogs or get recommendations for other trainers in other areas. I'm in CA and I still contact her for various references.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Hello,

Dang Greta is too far away, we're in the southern end of the valley, near Eugene. I will be checking out the other sites though, Thanks for some good info...IF anyone else has suggestions please please please.....
and yes the BF is definitely the "alpha" in our home, I suspected it was a submissive action, just not sure why he does it only when I'm home

any thoughts on:
There are 2 extremes of "alpha" - one that can be a harsh corrector...and one that uses positive corrections, showing much love & patience.

If your BF uses any old school techniques and your pup lacks some confidence & is a bit submissive...resulting peeing, could easily be explained...if Sarge is scared of him.

If your BF has a great & soft relationship with your dobe, have them go outside first /
for a potty break, prior to having fun playing in the house together.

And - involving your BF in the obedience training, is an excellent idea...for Sarge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts