Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in North Carolina and am looking for my first Doberman puppy. I have looked at Valor Dobermans and am torn on them. Does anyone have experience with them and or any suggestions on other reputable Doberman breeders?

·
joie de vivre
11,294 Posts
Members here can provide feedback on how to find a good breeder. What are you looking for? Do you have experience with the breed? Are you interested in showing a dog in conformation? Or maybe performance sports or working sports?

Any additional information you can provide will help people understand what you're looking for and what to recommend.

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
Valor is a hard pass from me, based on the website. But hey, you've got a choice of 4 litters in the next 2 months and for only an extra $1000 on top of an already very high price, you can move to the top of the list! Regardless of your suitability, apparently. This is NOT how reputable breeders work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya that made me worried too. I saw somewhere on the website they definitely Heath tested and saw lots of awesome testimonials and they were rated in the top 7 breeders in the state but ya I messaged them yesterday they sent back one message I sent two more and they read them and never replied.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,769 Posts
You have to be careful when you are evaluating "health testing" and "health guarantee" claims being made by a breeder.

Some not-reputable breeders seem to think all they have to do is have their dog vet-checked, or run a few one-time genetic tests.

In reality, it is more involved.

Here's a further explanation from another thread:

Most health testing should be done on the breeding pair before they are even bred. Many of the typical tests you want to see can't even be done on puppies—the health of the breeding pair will tell you more about the possible health of the puppies they produce.

For a puppy, you should make sure he is up to date and on track with getting his puppy shots at the appropriate time. He should also be checked for worms. You need to take him to your own vet within 2-3 days of when you bring him home, rather than rely on the breeder's word about a vet check.

Be aware too, that the promise of a health warranty from the breeder isn't really worth very much. Even if your puppy turns out to have major problems say, 6 months after you get him, the warranty likely says only that you should return him for a trade—if the breeder is breeding substandard dogs, a trade-in is unlikely to be much better health-wise than the puppy you already have—and who wants to bring back a dog they have become attached to anyway, especially considering that a disreputable breeder is likely to just cut his costs and euthanize a puppy with severe health problems rather than seek treatment for him.

These are the tests you should look for—done on the parents:
1. Cardiomyopathy - a Holter monitor EKG and an ultrasound/sonogram done by a veterinary cardiologist within the last year before breeding
2. Von Willebrands via DNA test
3. X-rays for hip and elbow dysplasia, certified by OFA at or after the age of 2 years
4. Blood panels for thyroid by an OFA-certified laboratory. As well as a blood panel for the liver. Within the last year before breeding
5. Eye exam done by a veterinary ophthalmologist (CERF exam)

This should all be up to date and with acceptable results.

Testing is expensive, and are an area that many not-so-reputable breeders will skimp on. If you are not seeing the above tests with good results for both parents, find another breeder.

·
Premium Member
10,431 Posts
I've never heard of Valor, but I'm not surprised since I'm on the other side of the country (Portland--the left hand one, Oregon). But I've been active in Dobermans, conformation since 1960 and performance since 1968. And you've got some very good, long time breeders in North Carolina that I'd be checking out.

In all probability all of the better breeders are going to have waiting lists but on the good side--many good breeders with waiting list can often refer you to other breeders (sometime new breeders that they have been mentoring) who may have what you want.

Allure Dobermans in Sanford, that's Carmine Pitts
Alpha Dobermans in Charlotte, Susanne Smith--and I heard that she may be in Florida now but the most recent listing on the DPCA site still says Charlotte--check the DPCA listing of breeders in the area for web sites, phone numbers etc.
Goldgrove in Monroe that would be Sharon Pflueger and Tamra Rabold
Shohaus in Harrisburg and that's John and Lori Shoeneman

I don't know all of these people personally but I know their dogs, have seen their dogs and have some idea about their breeding programs and my best recommendation are that I'd consider buying a dog from any of these breeders.

Check some of the nearby states too.

dobebug

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
Ya that made me worried too. I saw somewhere on the website they definitely Heath tested and saw lots of awesome testimonials and they were rated in the top 7 breeders in the state but ya I messaged them yesterday they sent back one message I sent two more and they read them and never replied.
Top 7 according to who??

They are health testing, sure, and that is great. But they are also breeding Kimbertal dogs (a huge puppymill). She's apparently been in the breed for 9 whole years but jumped right in and started breeding immediately, and apparently so much that she needed a partner operation. I mean, it just seems to be about putting out the most puppies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Top 7 according to who??

They are health testing, sure, and that is great. But they are also breeding Kimbertal dogs (a huge puppymill). She's apparently been in the breed for 9 whole years but jumped right in and started breeding immediately, and apparently so much that she needed a partner operation. I mean, it just seems to be about putting out the most puppies.
I don’t remember what ho it was that said the top 7 part and yes that is concerning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never heard of Valor, but I'm not surprised since I'm on the other side of the country (Portland--the left hand one, Oregon). But I've been active in Dobermans, conformation since 1960 and performance since 1968. And you've got some very good, long time breeders in North Carolina that I'd be checking out.

In all probability all of the better breeders are going to have waiting lists but on the good side--many good breeders with waiting list can often refer you to other breeders (sometime new breeders that they have been mentoring) who may have what you want.

Allure Dobermans in Sanford, that's Carmine Pitts
Alpha Dobermans in Charlotte, Susanne Smith--and I heard that she may be in Florida now but the most recent listing on the DPCA site still says Charlotte--check the DPCA listing of breeders in the area for web sites, phone numbers etc.
Goldgrove in Monroe that would be Sharon Pflueger and Tamra Rabold
Shohaus in Harrisburg and that's John and Lori Shoeneman

I don't know all of these people personally but I know their dogs, have seen their dogs and have some idea about their breeding programs and my best recommendation are that I'd consider buying a dog from any of these breeders.

Check some of the nearby states too.

dobebug
Thank you very much for those other recommendations! Iv also looked at a place in Ohio called benchmark Doberman. There dogs seem to be extensively health tested, and have many titles and the application was extremely thorough

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Top 7 according to who??

According to "We love Doodles" I kid you not lol.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yup that’s the place and they do brag about that too
My curiosity got the best of me and I had to check out that list and not only do I not recognize any of the breeders (granted I didn't do a thorough search), I was confused as to why they had a husky "breeder" on their list...... Also, if they are "best breeders in North Carolina", why is there one from South Carolina? I have a few questions.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My curiosity got the best of me and I had to check out that list and not only do I not recognize any of the breeders (granted I didn't do a thorough search), I was confused as to why they had a husky "breeder" on their list...... Also, if they are "best breeders in North Carolina", why is there one from South Carolina? I have a few questions.....
Ya after checking that out I had the same questions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts