Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help_up_2 Im looking for a handler, to show my new puppy.Can anybody out there recommend a top handler for my bitch.Im in Long Island NY, but willing to send her out with the right handler that could do her right

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
who is the breeder? I would imagine that they can give you some ideas of who they like and respect.

Edit: Ok, I just realized that the above is not an option since your puppy came from out of the country.

Did you buy a puppy intending to show in the breed ring? You bought a European puppy that most likely will not be a show prospect for the American show ring - not to mention - can you register her with the AKC?

If you plan on doing UDC shows with her - then I believe you handle your own dogs......... not sure about that though as I'm not real up on their rules and regs.

At this point, I would contact some reputable breeders in your area to see if a couple can evaluate your puppy to see if it would be worth your time and money to think about going in the breed ring.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
who is the breeder? I would imagine that they can give you some ideas of who they like and respect.
I'm pretty sure the OP has an Altobello puppy. Since they're in eastern Europe, I doubt they know much about the handlers here.

The best thing to do is start going to shows and watching the handlers. Every handler has a different style and a different personality. Since this is someone who're going to be working closely with, it really makes sense to find someone who not only handles well and takes good care of the dogs in their charge, but also is a compatible personality for YOU to deal with. You can figure out a lot just by watching the handlers in and out of the ring in terms of who you want to do business with.

Once you decide on a handler you want to approach, then you need to take the dog to them for it to be evaluated to make sure it's a viable show prospect. Puppies generally are going to be close to 6 months old or older before a handler will make any kind of commitment to take them on.

While it doesn't do a puppy any damage to go on a short circuit with a handler *occasionally*, for the most part I think they need time to be puppies. It's certainly possible to make arrangements to hand dogs off at ringside, and that's what I prefer to do whenever possible, most especially with puppies.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Altobello does have a few american ch here in the USA. Click on the US flag http://www.altobellodobermann.com/News.htm
Those aren't AKC champions. Those dogs have earned titles through the IABCA, which is kind of...a joke. It's a rare dog that CAN'T earn a title through this registry if they show up for 3 shows. It's pretty much "you pays your entries and you get your titles" with these shows.

If you're just interested in showing at IABCA shows, then I wouldn't even bother looking for a handler, most of the dogs entered in them are owner handled.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Altobello does have a few american ch here in the USA. Click on the US flag
No, actually, there are no Am Ch's listed there. This breeder doesn't breed a type of dog that would win at an AKC show. Not that that is a bad thing, but if you were specifically looking for a dog to show here in the states, this wasn't the place to go.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Don't let it get you down though. There are many things you can do with a fine Euro pup. They are right about IABCA. I don't even think they judge against other dogs, just against the breed standard as set. It's a bit too easy to get a title. IMO. You can tell the diffence on the titles by what comes first. an American Champion, one who finished with points in the US. Will look like this...
Am Ch. "NAME"
Or, Can/Am Ch "NAME"
(Can it go Am/Can Ch.?) Anywho, the "Int. Ch." is a title given by the IABCA. And is common in European dogs. It's not quite a bad thing. (Though I question how they do things at times.)
If you must do comformation in the states, you can try out UKC shows. It's great practice, and they don't look at who's handling.
Other great choices for the Euro dobe are Obedieance, Agility, Search &Rescue, and Schutzhund. Get in touch with your local dog clubs, and see what they have to offer. I know most offer handling classes as well.

Good Luck, and I would love to see your baby!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Actuly, I beleave AKC recognises INT Ch.'s. AKC just being a registry really don't mean anything. But your right, they are not American Champions. All imports can be trasferred to AKC with export pedigrees.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Actuly, I beleave AKC recognises INT Ch.'s. AKC just being a registry really don't mean anything. But your right, they are not American Champions. All imports can be trasferred to AKC with export pedigrees.
The AKC does not recognize an international championship - they only recognize titles earned at AKC events. They are much more than a registry.

I would probably enter and earn international championships on my dogs if I had the time to do it - just for fun. It is not something that I would take seriously.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
All imports can be trasferred to AKC with export pedigrees.
No, not always. It depends on if the dog is registered with a kennel club the AKC recognizes. Some countries have more than one kennel club, and the AKC will only accept one registry per country. So if a dog in another country (Belgium is a good example, as I've run into this with Malinois) is registered through a KC the AKC doesn't recognize, the dog isn't eligible for registration here.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I sware I have seen the Int. Ch title on AKC Pedigrees before... are you sure the title does not carry over?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ahh learn something new every day!
I could of sworn I seen those titles in AKC pedigrees before. Guess not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts