Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Nylon 1 inch wide 50 foot long leash for about $35.

I would like to use it both for training and exercise in the field near my place.

do you think it would stand up to the abuse? Or maybe are there cheaper options?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I bought a lunge line off amazon that's 26 feet and it's very sturdy and I've had no problems with it yet.

This is the exact one I have and I love it. You can get them longer but I only wanted 25 feet for now.
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-1-In...G8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1334684150&sr=8-10

I figure if it can control a horse it will work for a Doberman. I take it when we go to trails and fields and also for training outside.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's a good start, thanks.
The one I was looking at doesn't ship to Canada. :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I'd check out horse longe lines as suggested. They come in cotton or nylon and are very strong and pretty cheap. I prefer cotton.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I use a nylon horse long line for the big dogs in my OB class

·
Registered
959 Posts
I like tubular webbing. It comes in a variety of widths, it's strong, easy on the hands and seems to flow over and around obstacles fairly well.

You can sometimes find cut offs from stuff like parachutes pretty cheap.

Attach a good bronze or stainless snap from the hardware store. It can be sewn on a regular household sewing machine, or I suppose you could you could rivet it or even just tie a knot.

Here you could get 24' for $12 shipped- Tubular Nylon 9/16" Wide 24 Foot Length | eBay

Add a $5 snap, spend a couple of minutes on the sewing machine and you would be into a nice 24' long line for under twenty bucks.

Just noticed you are in Canada. That probably makes shipping more, but I bet you can find Canadian suppliers of tubular webbing.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A tracking like will work, but I like the tubular webbing better for something the dog drags along on the ground. I don’t know what a Dogsport tracking line is made from, but my Bende line is 1” wide and made of thin lightweight material.

I’m probably a bit OCD, but I’d rather keep the tracking line as “nice” as possible and have a different line getting dragged around on the ground.

Here is my long line. It’s 50’. The webbing was $11 and change shipped, the snap a few dollars and I already had the ring laying around. I think the ring was about a dollar when I bought it. All total I’ve got roughly $15 into it. It took less than twenty minutes to make from the time I got the sewing machine down until it was all put away again.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Biothane tracking leads. Smooth like leather, weatherproof like synthetics. Hands don't get torn up, but lead does not get water damaged and wipes clean easily.

All Weather Biothane Dog Tracking Line

You can get them various places; the link was just a good description and nice range of sizes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts