Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a fairly expansive knowledge about human medicine and pathophysiology and while there is SOME overlap between humans and dogs I find myself trying to apply human medical concepts to my pup (which clearly isn't always relevant).

I am looking for a good textbook on canine physiology and pathophysiology that would be a veterinary level text that I can read and reference. I, of course, will NOT be trying to administer treatments to my dog and will always reference his vet when concerns arise, it is more for my own interest and mostly understanding things that are abnormal in humans but normal variants in dogs (for example, abnormal heart beats, etc).

Again, I am not really looking for a "pet owners" book but rather a veterinary reference text.

Thanks!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Some of the vet manuals can be ordered online (I don't have any personal recommendations).
I source a lot of current stuff using online journal articles...both vet med and human animal model studies. Quite a number of full articles are available without subscription using either google scholar or specific searches. Of course even more is available if you can tap into a universities search engines. ;) I saved a lot of pdf's when I had access....and will be saving a bundle more when I get access again in June. :D (my field is psych, but I have a personal interest in cellular and neural biology too)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually do have access to search engines like Pubmed and all of that but I suppose I could look in the general library articles for animal articles. Thanks!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Exactly what I am looking for-Thanks!
You're welcome--it's the gold standard. You might also want to give your vet a call and ask what, if any, other volumes they can recommend, giving the same disclaimer--of course--you gave on your inquiry here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're welcome--it's the gold standard. You might also want to give your vet a call and ask what, if any, other volumes they can recommend, giving the same disclaimer--of course--you gave on your inquiry here.
Definitely. No treatment will be administered, just a bit of education :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts