Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this breeder and was wondering what your thoughts were on the breeder

skycountrykennel

Looks a little Sketchy, but his Dobermans are AKC registered and have a family tree. What are your thoughts? He is selling them for $700 with ears uncropped

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I'd pass,

For starters, reputable breeders send the puppy home cropped. Second average cost for a well bred puppy from tested titled dogs with lifetime breeder support is between $1500-3,000 with $1800-2,500 being the usual deepening on where in the u.s.

Get out to some local dog shows and contact your local club. Get to meet the breeders who are actively out there.
American Kennel Club - akc.org is a great place to search for conformation and performance shows.

Here's a few helpful links,

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breedin...eeder-s-site-red-flags-watch-out-website.html

DPCA | Home (they have a breeder referral, but buyer beware they are not all reputable)

Gorrmae and Lyndobe are listed breeders who are recommended In the state, so probably a good place to start.

Reactions: prairiefire

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Oh my, they are a trainwreck. I would never buy a pup from them. Reputable breeders don't advertise AKC registration as a selling point because it's not one. With reputable breeders it's a given. You'll want to see the pedigree of the sire and dam. They should be fully health tested, come from champion lines, titled, etc.

Gorrmae is in MI. Home

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Run FAR AWAY. I am in Michigan, I would be happy to suggest several breeders I found. What part of Michigan are you in?

I got my puppy from a fantastic michigan breeder just over six weeks ago. I'd be happy to tell you about my experience choosing a breeder and how I narrowed it down.

·
Banned
948 Posts
I found this breeder and was wondering what your thoughts..

Looks a little Sketchy, but his Dobermans are AKC registered and have a family tree. What are your thoughts? He is selling them for $700 with ears uncropped
To "Man of the North": just curious, what part "looks a little sketchy?"

Was it the Pembroke Welsh Corgis? The Basset Hounds? Blue tick Coonhounds? Or, maybe, the Boxers? Dobermans uncropped? Even the available Pugs and/or Beagles?

Was the "only take cash," and "no checks" adage a little sketchy?
(Translation: we do not want any bank record of selling puppies and/or income....).

How about the misspellings of "deposite, happings, and to conferm." -?-

I am confused why you need to ask a forum if this was sketch?

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
To "Man of the North": just curious, what part "looks a little sketchy?"

Was it the Pembroke Welsh Corgis? The Basset Hounds? Blue tick Coonhounds? Or, maybe, the Boxers? Dobermans uncropped? Even the available Pugs and/or Beagles?

Was the "only take cash," and "no checks" adage a little sketchy?
(Translation: we do not want any bank record of selling puppies and/or income....).

How about the misspellings of "deposite, happings, and to conferm." -?-

I am confused why you need to ask a forum if this was sketch?
Possibly the 16 "stud dogs" in 6 different breeds?

OP, I'd run so far from this breeder that you could see me for the dust. They look like a large scale backyard breeder or small scale puppy mill. No mention of health testing in any of their breeds, and while some dogs are UKC champions, most of them don't appear to have any titles at.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Well, the first thing that caught my eye was that they sell the puppies of several different breeds of dogs.. I can understand if it were say two breeds, and you devoted enough time into both, but seven!? No one has time to learn and experience enough about all those breeds listed to an extent appropriate enough to breed them... This heavily suggests they are skipping important things because they don't have enough experience in one breed, they dabble in seven of them. Them "raising" seven breeds of dogs does not impress me, I would be much more impressed if they put that effort into titling and testing ONE breed of dog.

Also, the amount of grammatical and punctuation errors are quite shocking! That makes my ten year old sister look like an English major.

I'm glad you at least found something sketchy about them. Better than coming here and saying you thought they were amazing! :)

Search elsewhere!

·
Registered
850 Posts
My inner grammar nazi is writhing, but for me, it's all those horrifically-obese dogs piled on a sofa.

I see that their Dobe studs are all z-factor clear. The only aspect of sketchiness that they're lacking is bragging about the presence of that genetic defect. Hey, maybe they could be convinced to offer a discount due to the lack of such an exciting, "rare" defect.

On a (mostly) completely unrelated note, are lactating Basset Hounds able to walk? That one in particular looks like her legs probably wouldn't even be able to touch the ground if she was attempting to stand.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Oh gawd. I live about 30 miles from these people and do see them occasionally at UKC shows. Dogs are all poor quality, they know very little about the health issues that affect the breeds they breed and they do not do any health testing beyond vet checks and possibly vWD.

If you are in SW Michigan, PM me, I can point you in the right direction.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
OP, welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend taking Sheliandobe's very generous offer of help--finding a good Doberman puppy of health-tested bloodlines can be pretty dicey and difficult--that guidance will really pay off for you.

I hope you get a chance to read those links provided--AKC papers are simply a bare minimum requirement, they in no way indicate a quality animal or a healthy animal.

It's good you recognized this place has some, uh, big issues. Good luck, hope you find just the right pup.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
So it wouldn't be a problem buying a pup from him?
It would be a HUGE problem to buy from them!!!! That's why we've been telling to run away from this so called breeder as fast and as far as you can.

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie
1 - 20 of 27 Posts