Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 10 month old male AKC registered Doberman that I would like to breed. I have no idea how to find a female and am looking for any guidance anyone could give me.

He comes from a great lineage and is a beautiful dog. I want to breed him once before I have him neutered.

Any ideas?

Lana

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I think you are barking up the wrong tree on the wrong forum. My advice is just to get him neutered. You want to do it anyways. Just do it. What are your reasons for wanting to breed him before? He is 10 months old, so obviously has not had the tests needed for proven health. There are many things that you can do with him other than sowing his seeds before he is snipped.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to breed him because he comes from a great lineage of Kimbertal Dobermans....certainly not to do anything bad. I also wanted to give my family two of his offspring. I adore that dog, also have three rescues of other breeds and do a lot with my doberman. He hikes three miles daily, goes to dog park every weekend and is the most spoiled dog you could meet. I feel like everyone on here is attacking me and I am a responsible dog owner. Wrong target.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
You may very well be a great owner but Kimbertal is a puppy mill, and no one who is knowledgeable about Dobermans is impressed with their lineage.

Responsible breeders are looking for champion males that are fully health tested, some of which can't be done until the dogs are 2 years old. Your dog is a puppy. His full grown conformation is not known. His full grown temperament is not known. He does not have the health testing needed to be a "stud dog", and as I said, he's not from good lineage. I'm sorry.

There are Kimbertal Dobermans in rescues across the country. Perhaps your family members would like to adopt one and save a life?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
No one is attacking you personally. This a forum that feels strongly for protecting dobermans. When someone comes on asking how to breed their dog, it hits a spot sometimes. We are not saying that you are a bad dog owner. We don't know you personally and how you treat your dog. I am sure that you love your dog. Breeding him to get his offspring is not always the best way to show it. There will be more that just two pups that are produced. What will happen to rest of the litter then? There is also another dog included in the breeding, so they won't be exactly like your dog. This isn't cloning. There is still the issue with the tests that can't be completed yet either since he is too young. I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to be realistic. No offense to your dog either, I am sure that he is a wonderful dog, but Kimbertal isn't exactly the best kennel to brag about.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Honestly Kimbertal is nothing to be proud of. Be proud of your dog (we all are), by all means, just not that breeder by any means. (take a moment to use our search button in the upper right hand corner, search Kimbertal on this forum, and you will get plenty of insight and information on the feelings of Kimbertal Kennels here)

Even if he has a great temperment, and you want to pass on two of his offspring, his offspring will not be a genetic reproduction of him, they will be individuals in themselves.

We have something in common, we both have great dogs from two of probably the best known commercial breeders in the east. Mine from HOH and your from Kimbertal. Breeders like these specialize in money. Period. Their dogs are not, if very little, health tested, not titled. And honestly not doing the breed any favor by bringing such a multitude of dogs into the world yearly. Good breeders don't want the market flooded with dogs, and sell their dogs with a spay/neuter contract so just this very thing doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point taken - and thank you for the information.....honestly.....perhaps I was being misguided originally. I actually researched for a year before I got my little guy (well not so little at 90lbs)...but I thought I had done a good job in finding a breeder that cared about their dogs. My apologies at being defensive......I honestly own the greatest Doberman ever and adore him more than I could ever say. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I don't think anyone is offended. Kimbertal has a large, very attractive website, and so does HOH. I knew that HOH was a commercial kennel before I ever saw their website, but it was so well done that I'm sure I would have believed it if I didn't already know about their reputation.

The other posters here have told you the truth. Kimbertal is a businness, that wants to make a profit like any other business. They do that by producing large numbers of puppies. So there will be plenty of relatives of your dog being born there for years to come, their bloodline is not in any danger of dying out.

Another way they make a profit is to not do any testing for inherited diseases in their dogs. They also do not show their dogs in either conformation or performance events, which also saves them money. They now have a bunch of European males they have imported, and these males have some European conformation titles, from small east European countreis, so Kimbertal advertises them as champions, and then they sell their puppies as champion sired.

The real loser in their business is the dogs, who they will sell to anyone who will pay them for it, they really don't care where the puppies go or what happens to them.

Becaue there are so many Kimbertal and HOH Dobermans already, and because there is an overpopulation of Dobes in the US, all the rescues are full, and Dobermans are killed in the shelters becaue there's no room for them, etc., most of us here feel that only dogs who have met some standards in conformation, performance, temperament and health should be bred, so that they can produce better Dobermans.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, well maybe someone can give me some behavior advice. My boy is 10 months old and lives me and with two "pitbull" mix rescues....which thankfully he gets along with very well....I hope this continues. He does, however, get very upset when scolded...and when I say scolded I just mean when I speak sternly to him. How do you discipline a Doberman when he has done something bad without upsetting him so much that he hides. Any advice? I have the "pitbull" behavior down to a science, but the Doberman personality is quite new to me.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
micdobe said:
I don't think anyone is offended. Kimbertal has a large, very attractive website, and so does HOH. I knew that HOH was a commercial kennel before I ever saw their website, but it was so well done that I'm sure I would have believed it if I didn't already know about their reputation.

The other posters here have told you the truth. Kimbertal is a businness, that wants to make a profit like any other business. They do that by producing large numbers of puppies. So there will be plenty of relatives of your dog being born there for years to come, their bloodline is not in any danger of dying out.

Another way they make a profit is to not do any testing for inherited diseases in their dogs. They also do not show their dogs in either conformation or performance events, which also saves them money. They now have a bunch of European males they have imported, and these males have some European conformation titles, from small east European countreis, so Kimbertal advertises them as champions, and then they sell their puppies as champion sired.

The real loser in their business is the dogs, who they will sell to anyone who will pay them for it, they really don't care where the puppies go or what happens to them.

Becaue there are so many Kimbertal and HOH Dobermans already, and because there is an overpopulation of Dobes in the US, all the rescues are full, and Dobermans are killed in the shelters becaue there's no room for them, etc., most of us here feel that only dogs who have met some standards in conformation, performance, temperament and health should be bred, so that they can produce better Dobermans.
Very well said, and I agree 100%.

·
Registered
821 Posts
People ask me all of the time when I'm going to "Stud Out" my Gaston. His lineage is amazing with more Ch.'s, WAC's etc. than I care to mention. I really get tired of hearing this but I let them know not anytime soon. All of the "tests" have not been done. He just turned 2 and now we can proceed with getting his hips certified. I've done his eyes and the Vet Gen for VWD also done his heart. Even with all of this done so far and more to be done I'm not ready. When or if he gets his Ch. Title we might start to consider because at least I know he would be proven beyond a doubt to be "breed standard" under several judges. Also that I would have done my part health wise with all of the tests. Responsible breeders don't just put two dogs togather just for the sake of reproducing. There is lots of "homework" done before hand.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I need to clarify...his lineage is Kimbertal but....I didn't go to a kennel to purchase him. I got him from a lady in Rancho Cucamonga who had the male and female at her house.....there was no puppy mill involved in the direct purchase. Farther down the line I can't say....but he came from someone's living room....and I did check to make sure this is where the parents were really kept.

·
Super Moderator
15,612 Posts
lanabana said:
Ok, well maybe someone can give me some behavior advice. My boy is 10 months old and lives me and with two "pitbull" mix rescues....which thankfully he gets along with very well....I hope this continues. He does, however, get very upset when scolded...and when I say scolded I just mean when I speak sternly to him. How do you discipline a Doberman when he has done something bad without upsetting him so much that he hides. Any advice? I have the "pitbull" behavior down to a science, but the Doberman personality is quite new to me.
If your dog seems fearful when you "scold" him, I would find a different training method as soon as possible. Fearful dogs do not make good family dogs. You should consult with a dog behaviorist, and maybe enroll in some local obedience training (to boost his confidence). The other members seem to have given very good advice and you are taking it very well compared to most. Good luck with your little guy!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
also, if your dog is a worthy and desirable stud...then other desirable females will be interested in that...no matter what your pedigree or your dogs relatives have that doesnt mean YOUR dog is a desirable stud. The dogs that are chosen to breed use awards and titles and testing as means to continue award winning puppies...not just because they are related to dogs that show or compete.
for example, Duchess is from a beautiful line of dobes...but we didnt want to show her. so the breeder sifts out the few we got to choose from. Meanwhile, the other dogs that were purchased to show are the ones that were chosen to better the breed...and they will prove that with showing...and the owners being active and participating in the Doberman world. with the intentions of doing only what is best for the Dobermans future...
Even if your dog is AKC registered...it doesnt really matter...any purebred dog can be or is AKC registered...to me...that doesnt prove anything.
also, if your breeder you got your pup from has a good line of dogs...they wouldnt want you to breed your dog if they have no qualifications...

if you have no interest in showing...then you are or should be under what I have learn is a Limited registration...which means since you have no plans in showing...you paid alittle less for your dog compared to the show ones...and if your dog was to ever have puppies...they would NOT be able to be registered with the AKC.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
lanabana said:
I think I need to clarify...his lineage is Kimbertal but....I didn't go to a kennel to purchase him. I got him from a lady in Rancho Cucamonga who had the male and female at her house.....there was no puppy mill involved in the direct purchase. Farther down the line I can't say....but he came from someone's living room....and I did check to make sure this is where the parents were really kept.
Well..having both parents in the home isn't necessarily a good thing. Many times it's a giant red flag.

Good breeding involves using animals that are compatible..one being strong in the areas where the other is weak, so you don't double up on and "set" unwanted traits. So you go to the male best suited for your bitch, wherever he might be, and rarely is that under your own roof.

It's far more common to see "both parents on premises" when it's someone who's making puppies for $$..no stud fees means more profit for them.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, in reading all of this here is my question - why is a dog not worth breeding if it hasn't won titles? That is what I need clarification on. Some people don't choose to show their dogs....but why wouldn't a dog be worth breeding just because of this. If one has a beautiful doberman that say passes all of the genetic testing once they are old enough to have all of the tests why do they have to be "champions" to be used for breeding. I completely understood all of what was being told to me until the last posting where you lost me. Maybe I don't understand and am missing something, but to further my educatiion, please could someone fill me in.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PS. I don't mean "worth" as in monetary terms, I mean worth as in a beautiful, well tempered Doberman.

·
Banned
675 Posts
They don't *have* to be champions. It's just that a conformation championship is one way of proving your dog's good structure. You may say your Dobe is beautiful, but if I saw him I might not agree. If you show him to enough judges and get enough of them to give him points, it doesn't change him or make him a better dog, but it does show that enough people, the judges, saw quality in him.

OR you could not show him and take him to several qualified people in the breed and ask for their opinion. OR you could do that plus get some performance titles on him and get at least one temperament cert. The way he looks is easy to see, strangers who know what to look for can look at him and see if he has good breed structure or not. But his ability to perform and his temperament can't be seen just by looking at him. You may think he has good temperament, and he may, but no one else can know that, so what's wrong with proving it? With proving that he has good genes to pass on?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That makes sense. Isn't it hard though to show a dog without cropped ears? I will look into performance certificates in the Los Angeles area and see what I come up with locally.Thank you for your help.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts